4.0 out of 5 stars At last ... I have this set in my hands
I pre-ordered this a while ago as I was overjoyed when I found out it was being released.
Now that I have had time to go through both volumes I am extremely impressed with the package.
Over 99% of he 'frames' that George Lucas has selected do justice to the Saga ( one or two are questionable but out of over 1400 that's not bad!).
Going through the volumes...
Published 16 months ago by Bukhtawar Dhadda

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy poor quality print :(
Was really excited about this book and looking forward to receiving it, sadly I was very disappointed with both the quality and many of the stills chosen within the two volumes. I feel that this book was printed cheaply and sold at a high price, the fact they have had to put an excuse as to why the print is so poor sums it up really and if you're happy to accept this lame...
Published 16 months ago by The Darkside

4.0 out of 5 stars At last ... I have this set in my hands, 9 Nov. 2013
Bukhtawar Dhadda (Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars: Frames (Hardcover)
Going through the volumes is like going through the whole Saga in still photography, a kind of deluxe giant fotonovel (if you are old enough to remember those!).
For Star Wars fans this is the ultimate collectible in terms of being able to go through all six movies at once.
So why only four stars?
Well for the size of he books I have concerns about whether the binding will hold - hopefully there will be no issues but just some concerns. It would have been better to have an individual book for each movie but I suppose this would increase costs.
Highly recommended purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Frames - Mixed Feelings, 4 Nov. 2014
Length:: 1:06 Mins

I am a big fan of Star Wars - I love all six movies and think that the saga is one of the best-looking series of films ever created. So naturally, I had high expectations for this book of Star Wars Frames. I have mixed feelings about the results... I love the concept of the book and what it represents, but I think the execution of the idea was poor in a few areas.

As a play-by-play through the films, this book is a massive success. A person who hand never seen Star Wars would get a good idea of the overall story just by looking at these frames (over 200 images per film). Virtually every scene/sequence of the saga is represented with at least one frame. If you love the movies, this book is a trip down memory lane.

As for the printed image quality, I think it is quite good - although you must understand that these are frames taken directly from the films and adjust your expectations accordingly. Since the images are not enhanced in any way, the entire frame is not always in focus (and some action shots are going to appear blurry altogether). What you see in the book is essentially what you'd see if you paused a blu-ray of the movie and looked at one frame.

Apparently George Lucas himself curated this massive collection of frames, going through over a million images and reducing it to the 1400 that appear in this book... a remarkable feat, and one that no doubt was very time-consuming. But I'll be honest: in looking through the book, it sometimes feels as though the frames could have been randomly selected. I am assuming that's not the case, but some of Mr. Lucas's decisions are bewildering to me - I would love to get some insight into why he chose what he chose.

Obviously, Star Wars is first a motion picture. But the principles of motion pictures and the principles of still imagery differ in some areas, and in a sense the printed book format does not lend itself to isolated frames from what was originally intended to be a moving image. I say this because in flipping through the book it becomes quite obvious that many of these isolated frames (each of which contributed to a marvelous movie) would not pass a high-school photography class. They do not follow the basic rules of what make a good image - color balance, composition, etc. [Several examples of such frames can be seen in my video review - I trust that you'll easily spot a few overexposed frames that certainly don't belong.]

Now, to be clear about the problems stated above: I am talking about a relatively small percentage of frames. The majority of the book is marvelous. I can see that Mr. Lucas and/or his editors took the time and effort to ensure that most of the 4-frame spreads had optimal symmetry. Many of the scenes get an even-number of frames, which is a good thing because it allows an entire page or two to be dedicated to the same scene/setting (rather than having two completely unrelated frames sharing the same page).

Having looked through the book, it is fun to think about which frames I would personally add or omit had I curated this collection. Overall, this is a nice collectible for the Star Wars fan and one that I'm proud to own.

For more reviews, please see my Amazon profile or visit MovieArtBook(dot)com. Thanks for reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book: Star Wars Frames - The Plus And The Minus, 27 Nov. 2013
Book: Star Wars Frames - The Plus And The Minus

Plus:
- printed on thick super quality paper
- real binding is used, no glue (the book doesn't "crack" when lying open flat)
- great slipcase box
- lots of great pictures which allow you to study stuff you missed on screen
- your own mind provides the appropriate John Williams music for each scene

Minus:
- some scenes get only one or two photos like the Jango Fett & Ben Kenobi fight on Kamino

Warning:
Wash your hands: lots of blacks in this book which is prone to glaring fingerprints.

5.0 out of 5 stars A saga in photos, 27 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Star Wars: Frames (Hardcover)
This is very very geeky,but i'm told that geeky has a certain coolness to it these days,so it's ok.
This is the best collectors item i've come across so far & in buying you sort of hope that in years to come it might actually be sort after,the first thing to say is you will need a table to look through these books or you will have num legs.Both books are beautifully presented & come in a large box & yes they are heavy.One book covers the three prequels & the other the original three films.
The frames or photos in the books are in the order you would see them in the film,there are a few i would have liked more of,the asteroid field in "Empire" & the Tie fighter attack on the Falcon in "A New Hope" to name just two.Overall i think Lucas has done a fine job with the frame selection,there is no text in either books apart from an introduction.

I bought myself this for Christmas & very very pleased with what i got,good quality,very well presented & a must for any Star Wars fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 23 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Star Wars: Frames (Hardcover)
I, like most fans, couldn't afford the first edition signed by Lucas, so I was so excited to see it released in this format at an affordable price.

Like the forward mentions, these books are in part a tribute to all the work that went into these movies, including artists, cinematographers, and so on. They are key moments personally picked by George Lucas, individual frames that he felt best tell the story, reveal the best lighting, the best angles, expressions etc. I feel, after having bought so many "making ofs" and cross sections and other reference books, it was refreshing to just see selected frames, nothing added or taken away, no retouching and the like, just key frames that tell the stories I fell in love with over the years.

You won't get any insights into the movies, no anecdotes or commentaries, just the pictures you saw on the big screen in a format you can hold in your hand and stare at as long as you like. If you're a fan, you love these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Frames, 1 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Star Wars: Frames (Hardcover)
Stunning set of books of an excellent quality. A collectors "must have". I hope Amazon learn how to package this item with more protection as I had to return the books twice due to damage sustained in transit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent present, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Star Wars: Frames (Hardcover)
I would say that it is an excellent gift for a mature Star Wars fan, however I would have preferred if there a few fewer frames as it though 2 to a page was too much and should have been more selective in their choosing of their frames, but this is not detracting from the fact that it is still an excellent present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of Star Wars information, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Star Wars: Frames (Hardcover)
The package is lovely on this set of books that are crammed full of information and photographs about every Star Wars movie. It is a large item and rather heavy. The box containing the books is gorgeous as are the contents. The perfect gift for any Star Wars fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly amazing for the price, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Star Wars: Frames (Hardcover)
Utterly amazing for the price. Required a box within a box to ship it and protect it (thank you Amazon).
Weighs an absolute ton.
About 30 to 35 cm's square and 10cm's thick.
Not even scratched the surface of it yet.
Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greta collectable, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Star Wars: Frames (Hardcover)
I love getting to see the detail in Star Wars films and this book gives me a change to enjoy the frames and explore the detail The first delivery was damaged on the spine but the replacement was perfect and the presentation is spot on.

Star Wars: Frames
Star Wars: Frames by Lucasfilm Ltd (Hardcover - 5 Nov. 2013)