Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 September 2011
I liked this book but it was not as good as The Strange Case of the Origami Yoda. The instructions to fold your Origami Yoda were good and so were the darth paper folding instructions. Origami Yoda wasn't in the book very much and the chapters with him in were not so good as the first book. The book was a bit longer than the first one which helped get into the story a bit more but the book could have done with being a bit longer. The book was still quite exciting and funny. If you liked the first book you will probably like this one too - but warned that it isn't quite as good.
Alexander, now 9.
Star Wars is in my top five all time favourite films (more specifically, Star Wars: A New Hope, but when I first watched in back in 1978 it was only known as Star Wars). When I was a kid I had quite a few Star Wars figures, I read the books, and I watched the original trilogy on VHS over and over again. So when a book called Darth Paper Strikes Back popped through my letter box I could not help but be intrigued. A quick read of the press release informed me that it was the sequel to a book called The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, a book that I was not even aware existed. However, I started to skim read the first few pages to get a feel for the book, and I was instantly hooked.

To set the scene, here is the blurb from the first book, Origami Yoda: "Tommy and his classmates narrate this middle grade mystery, each recounting an episode in which they received wise advice from a finger puppet of Yoda, perpetually worn on the finger of their classmate, Dwight, a loser who can't get anything right. Is this puppet really Yoda? Or is Dwight a bit more together than he seems?"

From what I can work out, Dwight turned from zero to hero in the eyes of his classmates thanks to his amazing finger puppet. However, Dwight's nemesis, Harvey, has decided that he wants all of the attention and kicks off the new school year by introducing Darth Paper to his peers. Darth Paper is the complete opposite to Origami Yoda - mean, nasty, and on a mission to discredit Dwight and possibly even get him kicked out of school. If this sounds a little bizarre to you then I would ahve to agree with you on the face of it, but the story is not as strange as it sounds. It is laugh out loud funny and very, very clever.

This is the perfect book for boys (or girls) who love Jeff Kinney's Wimpy Kid books, but have read them so many times that they are beginning to fall apart. By all means go out and buy your kids new copies, but why not slip this one in as well - I am pretty sure they will love it. Especially if they are a Star Wars fan. Until recently I hadn't realised just how popular the Star Wars franchise was with today's 7-10 year olds, but friends have assured me that their sons can't get enough of it, thanks in part to the recent animated series, as well as games like Lego Star Wars. If they are big fans then can't lose with this book - like Wimpy Kid it is full of small doodle-like illustrations, it is narrated in the first person by a host of great kid voices, and if you're still not convinced - it also has instructions on how to make your own origami Darth Paper!

I guess I should just add one small word of warning - this story is set in an American school and as such all the terminology, etc is very American. This did not affect my enjoyment of the story, and I am not sure how many young readers will find it a distraction either, but I thought you had better be aware.
on 2 January 2013
My Star Wars loving nine year old son loves this book, together with the yoda and wookiee ones too. Great books.
on 20 June 2013
My twelve year old boy loved the 1/2 diary 1/2 comic style of the Wimpy kid books, and this are in a similar vein, so it went down a treat - he has re-read it several times.
on 2 September 2012
This was bought for my 9 year old son. He is not a child who reads a lot - but he really loved this book. He has got such a lot of fun reading this. The style is less intense, a bit similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It seems to strike a chord with where he is at with all that goes on for a 9-year-old.
on 11 June 2014
"Really cool and fun," said my 8-yr-fun. "I liked that we can do different stuff with some of the puppets."
As a mom, I liked this series as extra reading at home, a fun way to get non-required reading done during school days.
on 9 March 2014
This was given as a present to my niece's son and sent straight to them. My great nephew is thrilled with it. It arrived promptly.
on 19 February 2012
This is a classic in the making. My 10 year old son really enjoyed this book, a great sequel to the Strange Case of Origami Yoda.
on 19 June 2014
My daughter loves these books, and this one did not disappoint and was a great price too! She is looking to buy the full set now.
on 31 December 2011
my 8 year old loved this, enjoyed the story and then making the origami darth vader. ideal for younger star wars fans