Format: Hardcover|Change

on 12 October 2011
I have 4 study bibles. ESV, NKJV, NRSV, NKJV Open Bible. This is my favourite. The reason I like it is because of the NKJV translation, but also because what you find in there is really useful. The ESV has better maps, and nice colourful pictures but I still go back to the NKJV. One of the best features are the word studies. These show the Hebrew / Greek word and it's translation and it's full meaning. For example, in 2 Thessalonians 2:3 the NKJV uses 'falling away' rather than 'rebellion' which many other versions use. The word study reveals the Greek word apostasia and explains the meaning in full. There are 350 of these word studies with Strongs reference and it's these that I find really useful. The concordance is also superb with 195 pages. There are also really useful articles spread throughout. You'll find these references just where you need them. I love the fact that for a study bible it's not too big either, so i'm more inclined to take it with me rather than just use it as a desk bible. I bought the black bonded leather version (soft back). I always recommend having a couple of study bibles in different translations to compare, but if I were going for just one, then I'd choose this one. If you're happy with the NKJV translation, then get this. If not, the ESV is also fantastic, but it's quite a bit larger and whilst it has lots of interesting information, I find the NKJV has what I'm really interested in.
on 1 March 2010
I'm a dedicated KJV reader, but now found this NKJV version so much easier to read. Still have the same quality and style. Little bits of 'information' is scattered throughout the Bible which make reading it very enjoyable.
The concordance is much bigger and contains even more words than the Macmillan study bible. It contains quite a few words to recognise a verse you are looking for.
On hindsight, the leather cover version might have been handier and more practical to take around.
on 19 December 2012
If you are an evangelical/pentecostal believer, this is probably the best study bible available at present. I used to have an NIV study bible but realised that it was faulty in some respects. So I found myself making little "correction" notes here and there. Not so with this version, the editors/note writers are obviously genuine born again scholars who know their stuff. After thirty years with Jesus in my own case and with all the accumulated knowledge which that entails, I can thoroughly recommend this book.
on 13 February 2010
This is the first and only study Bible I have owned to date, so I am unable to compare this with other similar Bibles, but I have found it to be everything I needed in a study Bible. For more in-depth reasoning, read on...

As you would expect there are many cross-references, which tend to be pretty good links to other parts of the Bible. It is rare to look up a cross-reference only to find the most tenuous connection to the passage you have been reading.
Most verses have a sentence or two written about them, and they are mostly helpful aids to understanding the passage. They provide brief historical and cultural information, explain themes and connect passages to each other more explicitly than cross-references do.
There are separate notes about the history and culture in several passages. These are less relevant, and are not explicitly tied to Bible verses, but can be helpful when studying a large portion of scripture rather than just a few verses.
There are a number of maps showing the locations of events mentioned in specific passages, but no general purpose maps of Israel and the surrounding area.
The concordance is as comprehensive as anyone needs in print. It doesn't cover everything, but if you're looking up obscure words or phrases it's typically easier to use the internet anyway.
There are studies into a large number of words and themes throughout the whole Bible, and these are of excellent quality. Where there are differences of opinion the editors do not usually give their own view. Instead they give the reasons for all commonly held views, and allow the reader to decide, which I think is the appropriate action to take.
I haven't used the CD so I can't comment on how useful or otherwise it is.
on 11 June 2010
This really is an excellent study bible, with superb introductions to each book and accompanying footnotes. Very well worth having if you intend to do some serious bible study, excellent aid for preparing study material to share with others.
The best study bible I have come across in 45 years.
on 7 October 2010
Considering that this is a bible, you can't go wrong with the content, however I wish I had read the other kindle reviewer before buying. The navigation is terrible. You get so used to online navigation on websites that you take it for granted. There is no title at the top of the page so you are never sure you are reading the right thing. Once you leave your page for any reason, you can't find your way back. I have to bookmark the table of contents and keep going back to it to get back to where I was. This is an overpriced mistake.
55 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2010
This is a brilliant study Bible, full of useful notes and maps, with comprehensive information to explain, and give the background on, bits of the Bible that may be difficult. It is up-to-date, and easy to use. Subject indexes and a concordance facilitate in-depth Bible study.

The accompanying CD-ROM uses Logos bible software. This makes it speedy to search the work and make notes, and there is a vast range of other Logos material you can buy: but I personally find Logos software a little cumbersome, and more difficult to get to grips with than some of the other Bible software such as Wordsearch, Bible Explorer and Swordsearcher. But, even if you do not use the CD-Rom, the book is very good value.
on 28 December 2014
Absolutely fantastic . Just what you would expect from a Thomas Nelson. The cover is heavily embossed with ribbing making it easy to hold with one hand. The ribbing also strengthens the cover somewhat.
Very strong bind and spine. Lovely book to handle with confidence, without being worried you are going to pull a page out. Each page is beautifully presented with a design on the top centre of each page, the references are down the centre, clearly separated and watermarked backing makes it easier to read the small letters.
The cover is on a flexible cardboard, but I assure you it does not make it weaker, don’t be put off by other reviews.
The paper is not too thin at all. If it were any thicker the book would be far too heavy.
The amount of biblical information presented in this book is staggering. Also if you like the NKJV translation you’re in for a wonderful treat. Additional material about teachings of Christ with direct biblical references. There’s quite an exhaustive concordance taking into consideration one is limited to the volume of the bible in hand already. Wonderful book.
on 16 June 2011
A Good purchase! A very easy to read version with very helpful side-notes that puts the scripture into context. The only adjustment that I would make is to place the illustrations references on the same page as their corresponding text. Good Buy!
on 29 November 2012
Yes this is probably the best version of the NKJ Study Bible currently available particularly if you are an evangelical/pentecostal believer. I previously owned an NIV Study Bible but have realised that it is faulty in some respects so I chucked it out and after some research bought this instead. I have not been disappointed.