5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing fantasy series in a great boxset!
I spent a week (that's how addicted I was) reading these books this summer, one after one from the library. I fell in love! After saving for a few weeks I bought myself this boxset, and it's so GORGEOUS! The books are large, chunky and shiny, with beautiful, high res images on them, they feel great to hold and carry and just generally make me happy! :)
These are...
Published on 5 Dec. 2010 by mrsremuslupin

3.0 out of 5 stars No box
The books were a bargain price, however I purchased them for a gift and they were advertised as a gift set so I assumed they would be in a box but they weren't. The despatch and delivery was quick and I received them in a couple of days of ordering. I would buy again.
Published 17 months ago by MRS ELAINE BARNES

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing fantasy series in a great boxset!, 5 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass (Hardcover)
These are amazing fantasy novels that twist and turn through romance, action, magic and a whole host of fantasy creatures and lands whilst still being set in New York!
The main plot centres around Shadowhunters, who are basically demon slayers and Clary's journey to become one after accidently bumping in to some on a night out.
At first City of Bones can be a little difficult to get in to, but trust me, once you're a few chapters in you'll be hooked!
If you're a twilight or harry potter, or just fantasy fan this is a great series to make a start on!
Go ahead!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mortal Instruments Series Review, 2 Sept. 2010
Since i'm impatiently waiting for Clockwork Angel to arrive (finally was dispatched yesterday) i decided to do a sum-up review at Cassandra's Clare The Mortal Instruments series (sequel of the Infernal Devices which include Clockwork Angel). I will try not to spoil more than the summaries have already done. Actually i will not spoil at all. Read it :)

First of all, on Clare's writing style. What i can say...i love it. After Harry Potter i couldn't believe i could find a same-style world story to enjoy. Most of them were copying it or they were too predictable for me. And then it showed up! City Of Bones was translated in Greek by Platypus Publications. First i was amazed by the cover (i found really important a book has a good and attractive cover) and then i read the summery. I bought and finished it in less than 24 hours. Same came with the rest two books which i purchased in English. I have to admit that i love Clare's writing more than Rowling's. I do love HP but sorry guys TMI topped it for me(HP fans don't kill me). Clare write in a simple way which make you understand perfectly the situation and the places. It's really easy to become one with the book and live in her world. Also i like her humor much more and how she puts her characters in. Finally a book which hasn't a miserable main character or something like that. They all know why they are there and they are accepting what's is going on in a normal way. According to their personalities of course.

Now on the stories and the characters what i can say? Claire is female character which i admire! Seriously! Most girl characters are either too cowards either too b***s. I can read about her again and again. She is normal! Same goes for Isabelle. Well, actually sometimes you will hate her and sometimes you will love her. I can't get my feeling straight about her. On the boys, well i have a serious problem. I can't decide which one i like. Jase, Alec,Saimon, Magnus even Luke. Thanks miss Clare for making my life difficult. You will find boys: your best friend, your dream, the dream that you don't admit to say aloud or even the dream that you want but afraid of. Plus, i think boys will love them too. They are not annoying or too "gay". As you have already noticed i can't pick my fav character. That's ok i guess. Good to like every one in a book. Even the villain.
The story goes fast and slow. The action scenes are fast and your heart pounding like crazy and when it's need to be slower or more analyzed then that's how it is. The part that really amazed me was the action scenes. I couldn't believe a woman can write such good scenes like a guy. They are at the same level like the love scenes or the normal life scenes. Wow!

There is romance,sadness, sympathy, fun, secrets...You will want to beat characters, kill them, hug them. You will want to be in their position and live with them. To help them. You will want to read more. To put it simply..go buy it!;) For me it's a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe. Some., 5 Feb. 2011
Leanne Golightly (SCUNTHORPE, S Humberside, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments (Paperback)
I have to admit that I was a Twilight fanatic before I read this series. Now, I am a Cassandra Clare fanatic. It's a lot less "mormony" than Twilight, and I love the sarcastic humour. The twists physically knock the air out of you, and I adore these books.

I have to admit that I prefer the Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel book, but Cassandra Clare writes a good story. Must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware - highly addictive!, 20 Mar. 2011
SCS "S.C.S." (Midlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments (Paperback)
I cannot lie, I began reading these books and completed all three within a few days, I could not stop reading. I intended to only read the first and then ration myself - completely not doable! Am desperately awaiting the forth book now. The characters are varied, interesting and Clary inparticular is very likeable.
Set in New York, these books are a good mixture of magic, mayhem, plot twists, romance and of course a little violence. Based around the secret world of the shadowhunters who have the difficult role of policing the creatures of the underworld; such beings as vampires, werewolves, demons, fae etc.
If you liked twilight, vampire diaries etc you'll love these books!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book broke my heart and it's about as good as Twilight!!!!, 25 Feb. 2010
This a wonderful romance for young adults-male or female.
It grips you from the very start and I'm glad it doesn't have any weird names in it(like from Harry Potter) because it would make THIS story sound unrealistic.The book is about a group of teenage demon hunters and two people fall for each other when they weren't supposed to. If you don't want any spoilers then don't read on! And girls, the main guy is about as hot as Edward Cullen and Jacob!!!!!

I loved reading about Jace and Clary falling in love because it was so awkward for Jace because he believes love is a weakness.The whole idea of demon-killing Shadowhunters is wonderful and really interesting. You sort of wonder halfway through if some of the characters are the way they are because they've been trained to be Shadowhunters from a very young age.

The story is addictive right from the start and it has a shocking,heartbreaking ending. The end of this book,litrally broke my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book series. Simple as., 29 July 2010
I read these books along time ago but decided to buy this box set, so that I had a hardback version. This box set is great, the books are beautiful, and shiny :) and it arrived quickly and in excellent condition.
The Mortal Instruments series is just brilliantly written, the characters are well-described, along with the places and settings. It's full of quirky quotes that are hilarious and laugh out loud funny. Especially Jace and Magnus's lines.
These books include very different storylines to others of this type of genre, the characters are so real and you understand them. What makes it great is the humour, and obviously the many love stories that evolve through the series.
It contains action, comedy, and romance throughout, and I would recommend these books to everyone. I can't wait for City of Fallen Angels and The Infernal Devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars READ IT!!!, 9 Jan. 2013
Some people say this will be the next Twilight and I say NO IT WON'T. It's going to simply be the next big thing and will stand on it's own two feet. Also it's nothing like twilight (except for the vampire and werewolf thing but it has SO much more... Think Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Scooby Doo. It's scary, funny and will change your life) It's not just a boy meets girl story. This is a romance story. This is an epic battle between good and evil. This is the only series of books you'll ever need to read again!!!

A friend recommended that I read these books and told me they would change my life. They did. Books have done it before (for example the Hunger Games) but this just flipped that world over again and nothing has ever come that close again.

The characters, the story and the writing are all fantastic!!! I literally could put the first book do and then couldn't stop reading the whole series (and it's prequel books which are just as brilliant, I would advise you read them too. The Infernal Devices. It's bringing Victorian sexy back. No joke. I was amazed!).

Our heroine, Clary, is a bit of a rebel, she loves a bad boy and taking risks but when all that she knows has been a lie she adapts pretty well. She doesn't just let our sexy, sassy hero , Jace, do all the work, she makes it happen and lets nothing stop her.

Our supporting characters are so well developed they don't even seem like supporting characters. Everyone you meet will have they're own story, adventure and mission. It's brilliant!!!!

These books will leave you hungry for more. No book will ever be the same again.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY ALL THREE!!!!, 16 April 2012
The thing with this series is i found was once i had finished the first i wanted to start on the second straight away! I am so glad i bought all three! There is a 4th and a 5th out in may as well!

This is Fab value and i would recommend it to anyone who wants to get their teeth into a new series.

Below is my review for the first book "city of bones"

This review has no spoilers in so it wont ruin the story!

I am a fan of twilight, hush hush, fallen and paranormal romance in general and i wanted another good series to sink my teeth into. I ummed and erred for weeks over this series.

I wasn't sure about this series, twilight and hush hush felt very "real" like you were involved with the story and as if it could be real and i was worried with all the different creatures in this book it would feel a bit silly, too paranormal to feel real, but it doesn't! Its really good.

The story flows really well, the writing is descriptive so you can properly imagine the creatures or events that is being talked about. There is many twists you really dont see coming! Don't read spoilers as it will ruin it, i read them and i regret it!

I'm the type of person to fly through books, however i did get a little confused in the first few chapters about the background of this story and had to re-read, then i could fly through. I would suggest take your time and understand the first chapter well as its the backdrop to the rest of the book.

If you get into the book you can feel the romance, its not overly obvious and in your face but you can feel it, the way its built up is refreshing and i think over the series it plays out.. i havnt read that far yet.!

I would order the second and third book at the same time, when the first one finished i was desperate to start the next one!

I bought all three of these for £10The Mortal Instruments Gift Set .

There is a 4th book out and the 5th in may 2012..

I would say give it a go...its a really really good book!

CITY OF ASHES REVIEW.

This book is second in the mortal instruments series and comes after city of bones.

As like first book you just cannot put it down, the way its written swaps from one person to another but in such a way the story flows incredibly well, engrossing you in the characters, their feelings and your desperate to know what happened to them.

I would say this is the best written book i have ever read.

The story continues after the first and is faced paced and full of action, i just wish it had a little bit more hands on romance and slowed the pace sometimes.

If you like the first you will 100% want to read this one.. i did like it and i have now started the third in series "city of glass"... i have also ordered "city of fallen angels" ready for when i have finished City of fallen glass!

Please rate my review as helpful :)

5.0 out of 5 stars READ ME!, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments (Paperback)
Hey, right OK I have read these books all three of them and they are amazing!!!!!!
However I said read me because actually you can buy this trilogy for only £9.89, its on amazon just type in 'The mortal instruments gift set' on amazon which is basically the same set of books only less money, in english and in beautiful condition.
Hope I helped! x Praise to Cassie, great books! xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 5 May 2012
Gemmy (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This series has become one of my favourites. I love the whole world; the shadow hunters, the vampires and werewolves and fairies. I liked Clary and Simon, but for me, these books are all about Jace. He's so complex, at times infuriating, but I fell in love with him. My only criticism is that Cassandra Clare does tend to over describe and I found myself skimming the very detailed descriptions.

Amazing series :)

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (Hardcover - 27 Oct. 2009)
Used & New from: £39.41