4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Value
With readers having got excited with the forthcoming Vampire Diaries (ITV2 has the UK rights to show it) based on the books of the same name by Lisa, we decided to take a look at some of her other books and were pleasantly surprised as well as extremely happy to discover that we were to receive a compendium.

What you get in this volume is a series that allows...
Published on 28 Oct. 2009 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay..
Overall, I had mixed feelings about this book, but I can't deny that it got progressively better as it went on.

Published on 29 Jun. 2013 by Natalie

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Value, 28 Oct. 2009
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

What you get in this volume is a series that allows the reader to experience the growing of the characters not only emotionally but also physically as she seeks to come to terms with her own gifts. Its dark in places, light in others but a series that really will stay with you. Whilst the series was originally written a decade ago, its still fresh and will definitely strike a chord with the reader as much today as they did upon original release. A great offering and a bargain at the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Visions Trilogy, 15 Nov. 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Kaitlyn has always been considered an outsider at her school and is known as a witch because of her strange drawings. When she gets the urge to draw she never knows what she will produce but her pictures always give a warning about something that will happen in the future. When she is offered a place at an institute for gifted psychics she jumps at the chance to go to California and hopes to find out more about her gifts. Life at the institute isn't what she was expecting though. She makes 4 new friends who all have different psychic abilities but all is not what it seems and someone at the institute seems to want to use the students for their own agenda. When the group accidentally get locked together in a telepathic link they are desperate to find a way to break the connection between them. But as time goes on they realise that the link between them may be the only way they will survive long enough to figure out what is really going on at the institute.

I really enjoyed L.J. Smith's Night World series so was looking forward to trying her Dark Visions trilogy. I love the fact that all 3 stories have been incorporated into 1 volume so there is no having to wait between installments. Dark Visions was a great read and I would definitely recommend the series to fans of young adult urban fantasy.

Each of the students that have been hand picked to attend the institute have different psychic abilities. I'm not going to tell you what they are - you'll have to read the book if you want to find out - but I found it interesting to see how their abilities worked and the impact that had on them as individuals and as a group. Kaitlyn had always felt different from her peers so meeting others with similar abilities means she finally has people she can relate to. She quickly forms friendships with Anna, Lewis and Rob but Gabriel holds himself apart from the group and is harder to get to know. I liked all of the characters but I'd have to say Gabriel was my favorite, it takes time to get to know him but he will steal your heart as you do.

The psychic bond that formed between them allowed them to read each others thoughts and made life very difficult as everyone could hear what the others were thinking, I don't think I'd like to be stuck in a bond like that even with my closest friends. The only one who could keep his thoughts to himself was Gabriel who has a very strong telepathic ability and is the one who caused the bond to form in the first place.

I really enjoyed the romance in the story, Kaitlyn is attracted to both Rob and Gabriel. They are practically complete opposites but you can see what it is about each of them that draws her to them. Rob is kind and caring while Gabriel is the secretive bad boy that leaves you wanting to know more. I thought the romance between them developed well and I'll just say that I was happy with the ending.

As much as I love having so many stories about vampires and other supernatural characters available Dark Visions was a refreshing change and I'm looking forward to reading more by L.J. Smith. I'd definitely recommend giving this book a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most engrossing book ever, 26 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
Reading is my favourite hobbie I spend most of my free time reading. I have only read the first two books and i am waiting for the third. I would recommend this book to anyone, i coould not put it down. You get so involved with the characters, it even made me cry, and the character Gabriel, I fell in love with him, even though he sort of a bad guy. The personalties come to life with you.
READ IT !

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner you never want to put down!, 1 Dec. 2009
Amazon Customer "Amz" (Accrington, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Visions: The Strange Power/The Possessed/The Passion (Paperback)
This book really amazed me...I was not expecting the turn around the story made...I had read the blurb and other reviews about the overall story of the book and I thought it sounded like a book to read but never twice...Well I have now read it 3 times and am planning on reading it again soon...

"The Strange Power" begins as Kait decides to move away to a school for "research purposes", there are five students in all so not a big school. four of the five student try to learn about each other and become friends but Gabrielle Wolfe (the convicted criminal and recently released from juvi but still under certain restrictions) is not having any of it and shuts himself away. The reason for his actions become very clear to Kait as she tries to show he can't push her around but while he pushes he also realises something and the five students become linked in a way which will break down any personal barriers which anyone has...Unknown to everyone else at the school, they suspect someone is holding a secret and they try to discover what that is but in doing so, they find themselves on the run from the school and unable to return to the parents...

I must admit, the first time I read it the middle book "the possessed" dragged alittle and I wanted the good part to get going but on reading it again, this book hasn't got the action in it that the other 2 have but it gives the reader so much information!

"The Passion" I must say is the best part, it concludes the story...love is found...and the five are reunited as friends and destroy those that wish to destroy them and lead them away from the new home they had found in the school.

Overall, a brilliant read and is perfect from a teen reader or an older reader!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay.., 29 Jun. 2013

At first, I found it hard to be pulled into the story. I felt like I was simply being told things, as opposed to feeling them or being shown. Perhaps this was because the entire book is written in third person; I think it would have worked much better if written in first - it might have enabled me to connect more with the characters, or at least understand their thought processes a little better.

Another thing that bothered me (I'll get to the parts I liked later, I promise) was how unrealistic it was. Yes, I know it's about psychics... But that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be some realistic elements in there. For instance, Gabriel was supposedly in prison for murder. Okay, fine. But is it really possible that he would be released for the sake of some study? Released out into the public? Into a school? Most definitely not. Even if it wasn't his fault, then he was still very dangerous. Another unrealistic thing was the bloody insta-love. And not just once, but twice.

First with Rob... and then later Gabriel. When Kait didn't even so much as flirt with them - at all. It seemed that she just had to look at them and they were eating out of the palm of her hand. Don't get me wrong, the romance was a welcome addition to the plot, but it needed to be done properly, and I felt that Smith was too caught up in the whole Zetes plot to properly think through Kaitlyn's relationships with other characters.

Which brings me to Kait. She was so hard to relate to as a character, whether that be because of the lack of description regarding her thought processes/personality, or because I just didn't like her, I'm not sure. But she annoyed me. For a start, she didn't act eighteen, and came across as much, much younger (a prime example is in the second book, when she told the others to "act like you're on a field trip"... I'm sorry, are you not seniors, who could easily pass as college students, on a road trip?). Her opinion of boys as being annoying and disgusting also didn't quite add up, given her supposed age (but she didn't have any problems falling in love with these annoying, disgusting beings later on, did she!?). To me, she just came across as bland, with no redeeming qualities, especially in the third book, when she actively decided to use Gabriel's feelings against him.

Although there was a serious lack of description, and constant skipping of both time and information (which gave the book a vague feel throughout), there were some parts that I enjoyed. For instance, the telepathic link between the five was humorous, especially due to Lewis, who I actually really liked. I also loved reading from Gabriel's perspective, and he turned out to be my favourite character, particularly when he started feeding from Kaitlyn in the second book. There's no denying that the plot was well-thought out, and that the ending was good. Some of the characters made the book worthwhile, and it was intriguing to see where the book headed. I think my expectations were a little too high, hence the disappointment, but, overall, I didn't hate it; I just didn't love it either.

4.0 out of 5 stars The entire trilogy within one cover., 7 Nov. 2010
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The Strange Power: In Ohio, Kaitlyn "Kait" Fairchild has always been the strange girl that no one wanted anything to do with. If her weird eyes did not make people keep their distance, then the rumor of her being a witch sure did. Kait told herself she did not care, but secretly she wished she could be normal. Kait often gets the urge to draw. Though she does not know what she is drawing WHILE she is actually drawing it, once finished the picture foreshadows coming events. Now Kait's life is changing. Joyce is a representative for Mr. Zetes in California. Kait will spend one year at Mr. Z's institute in California where she, along with four other teens, will reside. They will not only have their psychic abilities tested, but also a chance to learn how to control their abilities. For Kait, it is a chance at having a normal life. She has only to learn to control her powers.

Lewis Chao's power is psychokinesis, mind over matter. Anna Eva Whiteraven can communicate with animals. Rob Kessler channels energy to heal others. Kait connects with them instantly and finally has friends. But the last boy in the group is Gabriel Wolfe, a strong telepath. He has been in lots of trouble with the law and has even been forced to kill. Gabriel wants nothing to do with the others. He looks out for no one but himself, having long since learned that helping others or caring for others leads only to trouble. But the teens soon learn that Mr. Z is not the nice, wealthy man they assumed. He has a hidden agenda for all five of them. Gabriel makes the mistake of helping Kait, the girl who fascinates him, and all five of the teens end up mind-linked. All five are connected, as if their minds are part of one web, linked together at all times. They can communicate without talking. They know where each other are and what they are thinking. Problem is that they cannot break the link. When the truth about Mr. Z is revealed, the five must flee for their lives.

The Possessed: Kait, Rob, Gabriel, Anna, and Lewis are fleeing from Mr. Z and Joyce. From Kait's dreams and art/visions, they seek a certain white house near the coast. Problem is that they have no idea where the white house is. There is a lot of coast bordering between California and Washington (state). Rob and Kait have fallen in love. Their mind-mates are happy for them, they can tell. Except for Gabriel, who keeps his shields up tight. He is the only one that has been able to keep his thoughts and feelings from the others. As the five search for the white house (that may be able to help them break the mind web and protect them from Mr. Z), they must also stay on guard. Mr. Z has great wealth, power, and connections. Police are on his side. Worse, Mr. Z has a group of other teen psychics with him now. These new teens were from the pilot study (before Kait's group) and they are not exactly sane. Now these evil teens, under Mr. Z's orders, are bombarding Kait and her mind-mates with horrible psychic attacks.

The Passion: Kait, Rob, Anna, and Lewis feel adrift. They cannot believe what Gabriel did at the white house. Nor can they bring themselves to believe the horrible consequences. Gabriel has returned to Mr. Z and is now the enemy. Kait and her friends guard the piece of pure crystal given to them from those in the white house. They must find a way to reach Mr. Z's corrupt crystal before they can use their pure shard to destroy it. To do this, Kait sneaks away from the others and convinces Gabriel that she is joining Mr. Z's side. With the other mind-mates far away, Gabriel cannot read them so Kait has only to guard her own mind from the strong telepath. Gabriel's feelings for Kait have not changed. If anything, they have grown. With Rob out of the picture, he finally has a chance to be with her. But soon Gabriel figures out that Kait is keeping secrets from him. Enclosing his mind from Kait again, he bluntly informs Kait that sooner or later the other teens will find out whatever it is she is hiding. And when that happens, Kait can expect no help from him. The other teens are all but insane. Kait is alone within the enemy's camp and it is only a matter of time, a very short amount of time, before she will be revealed as the spy she is.

**** FOUR STARS! This one volume encases the entire trilogy of this amazing and suspenseful series. This quixotic tale will grab readers by their throats and refuse to let go until the final page has been read. This author is a master at creating plausible characters that readers can easily relate to and empathize with. No one else can compare with L.J. Smith! ****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three good reads in one book, 21 Aug. 2013
I love these books and so glad they are all in one so the series don't have to be brought separately.

I can't find much fault in the stories. It's interesting, there's action, there's romance and the characters are truly fully rounded.

Kaitlin has never been accepted or liked until she meets the others at the institute who can relate to her more being as they all have psychic abilities which made the rest of the world not understand them.

Kaitlin is drawn to Rob, who is so sweet, kind and quite innocent in times. But there's the allure of Gabriel she can't shake off who's the exact opposite of Rob. Meanwhile something is up at the institute and the five of them- Anna who's the calmest of them all and Lewis, the quirky one have to all work together, using their physic abilities to do so.

As a result of this the five of them become linked meaning they can read each other's mind (except Gabriel who can block his mind) which makes for some funny times.

Gabriel was my favourite character. He started off putting himself as the outcast of the group and could be very nasty towards them but he starts to fall for Kaitlin and his vulnerable secretive side comes to light.

It's truly entertaining throughout and I have read it many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 19 Feb. 2011
My native language is Dutch but I wanted to read books in English as well. Since my daughter bought a book of the Vampire Diaries series which I read in one single breath, I was interested in reading more books of this writer, LJ Smith, and found Dark Visions on Amazon. I find it a good book, every time I thought I knew what was about to happen, it went differently. So if you doubt and you are looking for an easy to read book to relax yourself, don't, even if you are 40!

5.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK YOU WON'T WANT TO PUT DOWN, 4 July 2010
I loved the dark visions series.Once i started this book i just wanted to keep on reading it to find out what happens to the characters. This book has everything from the supernatural to murder,mystery and romance.Without giving too much away the book is about a girl called Kaitlyn who doesn't seem to fit in untill she gets an offer to join a psychic program where she meets and makes friends with others with abilities.From then on it is about their journey together to find the truth about the reason they were picked to go to the institute by a mr zetes and the fight for their survival.She also has to make a choice between the good and perfect rob or the dangerous exciting gabriel.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book of all time!, 3 April 2011
I had searched and searched for these stories since I was a teenager. I had only read the third instalment and was very eager to read the first two. Even after only reading the third instalment it was easy to get into and to fall in love with the characters. After recently doing more research I finally found it on here and straight away ordered it. I was not disappointed. Wonderful story which sends shivers down your spine and if you are looking for a book that will pull you in and have you reading for hours, then this is the book for you :) came on time which was also a bonus as I was very excited to be getting it finally. THANK YOU AMAZON!!!

Dark Visions: The Strange Power/The Possessed/The Passion
Dark Visions: The Strange Power/The Possessed/The Passion by LJ Smith (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2009)