Published 8 months ago by Dan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas... not so succesfully developed
First of all, I am a firm admirer of box sets. I really dislike having to wait for the next book.... and the next.... and the next...
So, having read the first one as soon as I saw that there is a box set, I gave my book as a present to a friend and ordered the box set.
Published on 7 April 2010 by vrasidas iguo

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic saga that really dives into the author's ideals of society., 28 July 2013
This review is from: Uglies, the Collector's Set: Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras (The Uglies) (Paperback)
Tally (our main character) lives in a futuristic society that acculturates its citizens to believe that they are ugly until age 16 when they'll undergo an operation that will change them into pleasure-seeking pretties. I had heard amazing things about this series and I have to say I was not disappointed! Scott Westerfeld's idea of beauty being perfection really echo'd the vibes of how some people see society today. Tally is awaiting her operation to transform her into a pretty, but upon discovering something about her friend, her operation is withheld unless she can perform a certain action that will prove herself worthy. The saga moves on gradually and you are introduced to Westerfeld's idealistic society and I have to say the world building is fantastic. For me, the constant 'pretty talk' put me off slightly in the second book but I realised that was the exact way I was supposed to be feeling about this society and it really put Westerfeld's ideals into perspective. Wonderful collection of great dystopian novels from an amazing author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Read Ever!, 19 Mar 2014
These are the best books I've read in a long time, no doubt about. I was staying with my cousin and had already read half of her bookshelf when I saw it and immediately lunged for it: it was just so different! As soon as she saw me, she told me I had to read it, and I'm so glad I did. As soon as I met Tally, I fell in love her and her friends. The shocking truth is, humanity will most likely be following these laws and rules in a couple hundred years. But why dwell? These books are amazing, their the best books I've read in a long time, possibly even forever! I am a HUGE fan of Stephanie Meyer and J.K. Rowling, but now I am most definitely hooked on Scoot Westerfeld, he is currently one of my favorite authors, behind Natasha Preston. Oh my god, I recommend these books to anyone, even my mums reading them! I said it once, I'll say it again: Best Read Ever! (By the way, Extras is totally different to the first three, I almost cried when I realised, but still a good read. Just warning you.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab choice!, 10 Mar 2013
My daughter loves these, look good and arrived in good time. If you liked The Hunger Games and looking for something similar, this is the series to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Sep 2010
I love these books. I think the story is complex but still understandable and interesting. Have to say I was surprised that a man had written it as he still retains the appeal to women but having science as well to interest the male population. Think these books aim to suit the majority. I am glad it is in a box set as I always prefer to have the series together, and I quite like the new designs as the older ones were a bit 'girly' and at least this design may encourage men to read this as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas... not so succesfully developed, 7 April 2010
I wasn't so much impressed with the first book but I was curious about the development of the story. You see, the theme was quite impressive. A society of almost perfectly looking people, the coming of age of a young girl and the consequences of human nature both in the natural environment and in human nature itself. Was it a distopia ar a utopian experiment?!?!?!? Are humans capable of sacrificing the gifts of free thinking, development and choice in order to preserve the natural environment?
But the pace wasn't up to the theme, the descriptions were too descriptive and the characters not developed enough. I was expecting more from a story that has great potential.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 15 Jan 2013
My daughter is reading this series of books, she is 13 and has told me they are very good. Must be very good

ARRAY(0xa5e2b5f4)

Uglies, the Collector's Set: Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras (The Uglies)
Used & New from: 32.00