5.0 out of 5 stars Dealing with Childish Obsessions
As a parent, I've always been drawn to children's stories where the child is so silly that it makes my own children realize where they have the same weakness. When that happens, we laugh about the silly person in the story and assure one another that we would never be so silly. Naturally, such a self-drawn lesson is more powerful than one that comes from me...
Published on 4 Dec. 2007 by Donald Mitchell

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy kindle version
LOVE the Olivia books but this kindle version needs to be produced properly - the words don't line up properly with the pictures and therefore it is very stilted to read and disjointed - VERY disappointed.
Published on 8 Oct. 2012 by lunasol

5.0 out of 5 stars Dealing with Childish Obsessions, 4 Dec. 2007
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Every child becomes obsessed about certain things. This book will make good reading for them. Hopefully, they will learn by seeing themselves in the piggish mirror of Olivia.

I was especially attracted to the 12 part cartoon on the end papers of the book that show Olivia using tape to get her favorite bear to sit up. That little wordless story nicely sets the stage for the main event within.

The opening page of the book provided me with enormous chuckles. I could barely stand to leave the page. Olivia is seated on a camel in front of the Sphinx and the Great Pyramid with her toy. The caption is "One day Olivia was riding a camel in Egypt . . ." But it all turns out to be but a dream. When she awakes, her mother reminds he it's time for soccer practice that morning. The red-loving Olivia dislikes that her uniform comes in "a really unattractive green." Olivia asks her mom to make a red soccer shirt instead. Olivia's mom agrees, but Olivia finds waiting to be intolerable so she takes her toy bear out to play with the cat. Finally, the shirt is done . . . but horror of horrors, her toy is missing! She throws a fit and starts looking around. While playing the piano on the dark and stormy night, Olivia hears a noise and searches out the cause while carrying a large candelabrum. She finds her toy has been chew up by the dog, Perry! Her father appeases Olivia by offering to buy her another toy. But in the meantime, she fixed the toy and made it even more humorous than ever. Olivia swears off dog books as a result, but she eventually forgives Perry and lets him back into bed with her.

To me the strength of the story was the Olivia takes the initiative to solve the problem of her missing toy . . . and then doesn't hold a grudge. The message is that things happen, but we shouldn't take them too seriously if we can repair matters. That's a good lesson for us all.

I think this book will be even more amusing for low-key children who don't get easily upset as they see how another child might react.

I love you, Olivia!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joy, 20 Jan. 2004
This book is a joy to read for an adult or child. I challenge you as a parent not to laugh out loud at the behaviours it covers. I bought it for a friend's daughter called Olivia. I think it will be something she'll treasure for a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars an enchanting series, 6 Dec. 2005
By A Customer
Maybe Im biased, because my daughter's called Olivia, but when I read this book I fell in love. The stories are so typical of the stroppy little madame, that is a toddler girl, and the illustrations are gorgeous and hilarious at the same time! Im going to buy every one of them and guard them with my life, this book is enchanting to say the least, an absolute quality publication!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Olivia adventure!, 28 Dec. 2009
S. Spooner - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olivia ... and the Missing Toy (Paperback)
My daughter really enjoys Olivia & the character reminds me of her as well. This a great story about Olivia losing her favorite toy only to find it but not in the same state it used to be. My daughter has a froggie that she loves to death & was so upset when Olivia lost her toy, it was almost as bad as losing her froggie. We've read this story so many times she knows it by heart, well worth it for any Olivia fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - as always, 24 Oct. 2008
Nicola Ingram (Worthing, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olivia ... and the Missing Toy (Paperback)
My daughter and I absolutely love the Olivia series helped, of course, by the fact that my daughter is also called Olivia.

All of the books are a joy to read and funny to both adults and children. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy kindle version, 8 Oct. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars My 3 year old loves Olivia, 18 Jun. 2009
A. Marks (Oxon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olivia ... and the Missing Toy (Paperback)
Olivia is one of my daughter's favourites. As a parent I love the way the author introduces 'cultural' activities into his stories and the illustrations are great too.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book for Olivia's lovers!, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Olivia ... and the Missing Toy (Paperback)
Quirky, funny, sweet, with a good plot -- a favourite read of my 3-year-old daughter. Looking forward to getting more books from Olivia's series.

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant fantastic fasanating great joyful book to read, 13 Nov. 2011
Claire Rowbottom (Derbyshire uk) - See all my reviews
my american aunt got me this beacause my name is olivia and i have got a little brother called william

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Olivia ... and the Missing Toy (Paperback)
Wonderful. I love Olivia.

Olivia ... and the Missing Toy
Olivia ... and the Missing Toy by Ian Falconer (Paperback - 2 Oct. 2006)