5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!
Great sequel to Uglies. Really well written sci-fi yong adult fiction.

(some spoilers from the first book follow)

Published on 1 Feb. 2010 by Amazon Customer

Published on 9 Jan. 2011 by Nicholas Seeley

1.0 out of 5 stars Terriffic book, but what's with the typos in the Kindle edition?, 9 Jan. 2011
I've really enjoyed everything I've read by Westerfeld, both his adult and young adult books. The Uglies quartet is a great adventure series -- gripping, plenty of drama, and offering a lot to think about. But the Kindle edition of the second book is loaded with typos: missing periods on almost every other page, poor capitalization, misspelled words and malapropisms. What's with that? Kindle books are a bit cheaper than paperback sometimes, (though I don't think this one was) but they should still be edited!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too samey, still enjoyable., 13 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Paperback)
After such good impressions of Uglies I couldn't wait to continue the series, I had to see how Tally and Shay's friendship turned out of all the drama Tally managed to cause, unfortunately what I couldn't handle was Pretty-talk, I hated it so much and I just wanted to tear my hair out. However the story line was good, I'll give you that. I loved watching Tally and Zane tackle curing themselves of being Pretty-minded with some bad side-effects on Zane part and their plan and break out to get to The New Smoke, and Tally stumbling across an interesting and not so guarded secret conservation of "Primitive Humans", an aspect of this story I didn't like was Shay, I felt so unconnected from her and all she needed to do was listen, I mean I know girls have their bitchy personalities and all but if Tally and Shay could have just spoken and listened to each other I'm sure things wouldn't have turned as nasty as they had and I know she was't really a big part of the story but it did really irritate me, along with Tally's conflict between Zane and David, it just got super frustrating and because it followed a similar plot outline to Uglies it lacked the freshness that I felt and I just didn't feel as attached throughout the book hence the lower rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting second book in the series, 25 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Paperback)
I read Uglies a long time ago and from what I can remember, I loved it. Reading Pretties when it's been so long since I read the first book was pretty hard. The language used in the book takes some getting used to as the characters have their own slang, but once you're used to it, it doesn't seem all that strange. I enjoyed this book, but I mostly just wanted to get through it. I have picked up the next two books in the series and hope to read them pretty soon, but I'm worried that the books just repeat the same story lines throughout each book. Of course, I may finish the series and find that that isn't the case and that they're each unique but I guess we'll see.

The series is set in a world where everybody receives plastic surgery once they reach sixteen to make their faces perfect and they live within this protected community with awesome technology set far in the future. As this is a second book in a series, I won't give an individual synopsis for this book as it may spoil the first one, but I have reviewed Uglies if you want to go and check that out.

I'm excited to read more of the series as I find the world and social commentary so fascinating and I recommend everyone start reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 1 Feb. 2010
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies Quartet) (Paperback)
Great sequel to Uglies. Really well written sci-fi yong adult fiction.

(some spoilers from the first book follow)

Tally is pretty - something that happens to all sixteen-year-olds. Being pretty isn't just superficial though, the operation has deeper consequences. At the start of the book, Tally doesn't remember that she's endured the operation so the cure can be tested on her. When we catch up with her it's a month after she returned to the city and Tally is making the most of young pretty life.

This all changes after a visit from a past friend bringing the cure for her to take. Tally becomes "bubbly" (able to think clearly) rather than being "pretty-minded" and we see how she deals with living amongst the pretties when she knows the truth

4.0 out of 5 stars Review: Pretties by Scott Westerfeld, 31 Jan. 2013
What's Good About It

I love how this series is progressing (though knowing the final title is `Specials' does somewhat ruin the last sucker punch). The idea of Tally experiencing New Pretty life is a great one because, as a reader I was somewhat fascinated by their lifestyle - encouraged much by Tally's own fascination. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Zane wa an interesting new character. Normally I hate when a love rival is introduced if it's not set up very early as a love triangle (and even then I'm not usually fond of them) but Zane was a likeable character and I believed Tally's confusion and conflicting emotions.

The idea of a human ranch, where people are kept in some sort of experiment - forced to live like savages - was an intriguing one, and a nice addition to the sinister world Westerfeld has created

The Pretty speak ought to have been annoying, but it wasn't. In fact, I found it creeping into my own head as I thought about what I was going to say. Which could have been embarrassing but fortunately my internal filter caught any stray Pretty words before I actually said them. It's a testament to how natural the Pretty language sounds, how unforced it was, that I almost found myself imitating them.

I also loved Shay's total mental break down and how she starts trying to break free of being Pretty-minded in increasingly extreme ways. However...

What's Not So Good

I did feel this was a bit `Uglies' all over again. The story didn't amp up the threat, and nothing seemed to move anywhere. Tally gets told to do something by Special Circumstances, Tally doesn't want to do it, but for various reasons has to, Tally inadvertantly betrays everyone, Tally ends up right where Special Circumstances want her. Rinse and repeat.

Or hopefully not. I'm prepared to put this down to `middlebookitus'. It's difficult to create real tension when you know there has to be a final story. So if Pretties was treading water waiting for bigger and better things in Specials, I can forgive it its minor flaws. Now if only I could lay my hands on a copy of Specials to find out...

Rating: 3.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars more people need to read this, 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Pretties (Paperback)
I don't understand why more people haven't read these books. I really like this series as a whole and I think Pretties is just as good as previous book Uglies. It picks up right where Uglies left off which I liked, so if you haven't read Uglies then I recommend checking that out first.

Pretties is still set in the dystopia world where at the age of 16 you receive the operation (plastic surgery)but now Tally herself is a Pretty. Leaving her Ugly days behind her she goes to some killer parties living in a place where everyone is pretty, bubbly and happy- new pretty town.

The pretty-speak language didn't bother me to be honest, I quite liked how everything was light and fun. Obviously the book still had the darker message it was trying to portray ,like in uglies, about the unhealthy way in which we view beauty and plastic surgery and I think it came across clearly throughout. It is over all a very relatable book.

I enjoyed watching Tally develop further as a character throughout the course of this book and after another big cliffhanger at the end of this book you will be desperate to read the next instalment in her journey.

I recommend this book to pre-teens, teens and adults alike. The book is not as violent or as sinister as most dystopia novels making this a nice introduction into the genre for young people, but I also think more experienced readers would still enjoy the series as it is well written and exiting with a fresh interpretation on the world of beauty.

If you enjoyed Delirium by Lauren Oliver I think you would enjoy this series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great like Uglies!, 2 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Pretties (Paperback)
Pretties is book two in the Uglies series. We were left on a cliff-hanger at the end of Uglies, so I was eager to see what happened or more precisely if Tally became pretty. The book skips ahead a month where Tally is a pretty and is living a fun life. We get to see a different side to Tally, her pretty side. It was interesting seeing this side of Tally, the side that was influenced by the pretties and special circumstances. Despite this I found that this book wasn't as interesting as book one. For one it took me longer to read, not because it's longer, it's actually shorter but because it didn't hold my attention. I found myself putting it down and leaving it for long periods of time because I just wasn't hooked. I didn't like this new Tally and New Pretty Town, I wanted the old ugly back.

Pretties join's Tally a month after her operation which turned her dazzling pretty. Tally and Shay are partying every night and becoming bubbly. Tally has to prove to the Crims, a group of pretties, that she is worthy to join them. At that party though some of the old smokies crash the party and Tally comes face to face with an old friend. He leaves a gift behind but it's hidden somewhere only Tally, would be able to find it. Her and Zane, the leader of the crims track down the gift and find two tablets. The cure. Taking a risk they take a tablet each but there are deadly consequences.

Tally was different in this book, because of her being Pretty. It changes your mind after all. She was pretty minded, always wanting to be bubbly. Instead of wanting to rebel like in Uglies. Sometimes we saw the old Tally shine through but not often. What I really didn't like was when she needed to find the cure, Zane had to edge her on or she wouldn't do it. Where is the independent Tally we began to love? Shay was different too, I didn't like her either. When Shay is pretty she is a bitch and this is constant. She isn't a friend to Tally like she was in book 1. Zane, Tally's new Crim boyfriend was odd. It was a real love hate relationship between him and me. He was so sure of himself but he influenced Tally in everything she did, he was too protective.

Pretties is an interesting book. We get to see the opposite side of the story that Tally began to fear in Uglies. That was interesting, seeing Tally embrace this new life because the operation has altered the person's brain. It's spooky to realise that this could happen. Another thing I did like about this was the little clan, Tally stumbles into, they were savage and lived like cavemen, and they were interesting. When you realise what they are really for, your heart breaks. It's very shocking.

Pretties is an enjoyable book but it just doesn't hold the reader's attention like Uglies did. I have the next two books waiting to be read but I'll take a little break before I get to them. This is a promising series and I just hope the series picks up again in the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good young adult, dystopian read!, 19 May 2012
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 2 in the `Uglies' series. **Warning** Unavoidable spoilers for book 1 - `Uglies'.
It is now about a month since Tally turned herself over to the authorities and had the surgery to make her pretty. She's now pretty, and also pretty vacant. A big decision for Tally now is choosing the correct attire to a semi-formal party, and whether she should take calorie purgers with her meal or not.

Tally and Shay are BFF, as Shay has forgotten a lot of what transpired between them at the smoke, and Tally also has a new love interest - Zane. Tally, Shay, and Zane are all part of a clique called `the criminals' (all due to the pranks they played as uglies), and they continue to try to think of tricks to play now.

After Croy (one of the smokies), turns up during a fancy dress party, and gives Tally the directions to find 2 pills; Tally and Zane go on the hunt for them, which involves climbing a massive metal tower on top of a building. When Tally finally discovers the pills, she and Zane take one each, and they soon begins to feel `bubbly' (can actually think clearly).

Thus follows Tally's attempt to escape from New Pretty Town, and all the drama that goes along with it. The Specials didn't like Tally's escape before, and they're certainly not going to let her get away from them a second time. Especially when it seems that instead they want to make her one of them!

I enjoyed this book. I don't want to give too much away, but I really liked the twists in this storyline, and how natural Tally's progression was from `pretty' to `bubbly'. I liked the fact that life wasn't easy for Tally. Things didn't just fall into place for her, and even with the pills she had to work to think clearly still. I also liked the fact that the authorities continued to think of more and more ways to keep tabs on Tally and Zane. Ways that even Tally and Zane couldn't guess at.

Once again there were the cool gadgets in this book - hoverboards, calorie purgers (remove the calories from food - yes please!), holes in the wall that produce clothes to order, and all other sorts of things.

The storyline wasn't exactly what I expected after reading the first book, but it was different in a good way.
Overall; a good young adult/ dystopian read.
8 out of 10.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was OK...Nothing Special., 9 April 2012
I think the general consensus among people who have read this is that it is not as good as 'Uglies'. It is more of the same really, and I found it very VERY slow to begin with but, once Tally starts adventuring again, I really liked it! I think I preferred this one to 'Uglies' because it's much more sinister and dark and frustrating...which I know are not everyone's cup of tea but I like those elements!

Tally is a bit annoying in this one though. One of the things I likes about the first one was the way she was so adamant she wanted to be pretty, just like everyone else that lived there; she wasn't particularly gifted or special. She was immersed in the ideology of the place she lived in and was very much a product of society. In this one, she is portrayed as some amazing gifted self-curing superwoman which did annoy me quite a lot. I preferred it when she was more normal.

From page 200 onwards I loved the book. Until that point I had been flagging, reading 20 pages here and there, never really getting properly into it and just looking forward to finishing it so I could move onto another book! However, as soon as I hit the 200 page point I suddenly got hooked! I found it really exciting and I loved how where in the first half things had seemed too easy for Tally, suddenly she faced real problems and real dangers and things became much more difficult. Maybe I just wanted to punish her for forgetting David...I kindof love David. The love triangley aspect of Tally having to sort of choose between David and Zane didn't really do it for me but mehh when it's young adult you come to expect that sort of thing! Girl is so desirable two guys fight over her...who didn't want that when she was 14!? I know I did.

Overall...I thought I wasn't going to bother with the rest of the Uglies series when I first started this book but now I really want 'Specials'! I loved the ending and want to know what happens next! Yes I know it will be formulaic and another version of what has already happened in the first two books but...you know...sometimes formulas are GOOD....mc squared...that one is important...I think. JUST KEEP TELLING MYSELF THAT IT'S OK TO LIKE THIS.

EDIT: I have been reading other reviews about the mutilation aspect of this book and I wanted to write a quick note about that. It does seem very strange that to feel more 'bubbly' which is another way of saying 'feel more alive/feel more about the world/have a better clarity of mind' you can cut yourself. This is a weird message. I guess the author is trying to think of things that would cause adrenalin like climbing tall towers, kissing boys, getting tattoos...but it does seem strange that cutting yourself is given power in this novel. Although the main characters see it as wrong, I still don't think it should've been included.(less)

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good moments but generally fairly disappointing, 22 Mar. 2012
I read the first book in this series a couple of months ago and had been meaning to read the sequel for some time. Having just finished and really enjoyed the Hunger Games books, I was in the mood for more YA dystopia and decided to give this a go. Disappointingly, this book seemed weaker than both its predecessor, Uglies, and the Hunger Games, which I've often seen it compared to.

I very much got the feeling that it was definitely for teens. Indeed, some of the rather repetitive Hoverboarding sections almost felt like something that would be more at home in an actual kid's book. It's a shame that it didn't quite come together, because the premise - everyone has an operation to turn them beautiful, but also pliant and non-questioning - was an interesting one, but whilst it kept my attention in book one, here, less seemed to be done with it.

Part of the problem was that life actually seemed really quite pleasant for most people (racism, anorexia, body image problems and environmental issues have been got rid of, no one is poor or hungry, the totalitarian government rarely seem to do anything very evil other than stop people rebelling) so unlike in other similar books where things are clearly horrific, it was hard to feel any fervour for Tally, the main character's, attempts to rebel against or bring down the system.

The first part, with its introduction to "Pretty" life was rather fun even if the endless slang got trying, but it trailed off from there. Most of the supporting cast from the first book were all but abandoned, with David getting about two scenes towards the end, Peris being replaced by someone called Zane as potential pretty love interest and Shay going from shallow to almost a villain figure.

I'd only really recommend if you really loved the first book and are actually in the target age group. I'm still debating whether the give book three a try or let the series go.

Pretties (Uglies Quartet)
Pretties (Uglies Quartet) by Scott Westerfeld (Paperback - 3 July 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01