on 12 September 2008
Most of you will be familiar with the story of Oskar Schindler and the subsequent movie starring Liam Neeson. This story is of Laura (Hannelore)who became one of the people on that list.

Her life was a happy one prior to the rise of the Nazis in Northern Germany but when they took power and began the inhumane decrees preceding their genocide - Laura's family life began to deteriorate.

Laura writes compellingly - I simply could not put this book down and virtually read it in one sitting. I actually have this on my wishlist as I borrowed it from my library. Now I have to get it.

Laura's story is very much like the others from the Holocaust - so why buy it? Well, as I said, she's one of the Schindler Jews and she didn't automatically go to one of the more well-known Factories of Death. By simple turns of fate and could one say "luck", she ended up being one of the lucky ones taken from Plazow to Brinnlitz.

As Steven Spielberg said in his movie "Shoah", survivors of the Holocaust are now at the very earliest, in their mid to late 70s and slowly one by one they are dying and their stories with them. Each one deserves to be heard because at the end, we feel warmed by their very need to survive and their hollow endings. I feel that we can't say "happy" simply because so very many families were separated and countless numbers of them never saw their loved ones again. I cannot imagine how that would feel because I have tried to make that leap and it's painful for me to imagine.

I would certainly recommend this book for any child studying this period of history in school as it is not written in a heavy style - it's also not a very long book but Laura Hillman engages and pulls you into her story and you feel her pain and joy in equal parts.

Yes, I can recommend this book.
on 3 May 2010
I loved this book. It is so easy to read and you just can't put it down. The story of her young life rushes along and you are soon absorbed by terrible living conditions and yet she survives and even falls in love.
I was so sad when the story ended, but its a lovely ending.
A true story of the terrible misdeads towards the jewish people which for most ended tragically but in this book love blooms.
on 11 August 2008
This is easier to read than some of the other books I have reviewed, as it is aimed at teenagers mainly, but that said it is well worth reading. It tells the very inspirational true story of the life of a young girl and her time within a concentration camp. She was 'lucky' enough to be placed on Schindlers list..... I'll say no more but I highly recommend this 'lovely' well written book, very suitable for young people to gain an insight into life as a Jew during World War Two. Lovely title!
on 15 August 2013
A true story of an ordinary German girl who was Jewish and the terrible way she was treated during WW2. She survived due to her determination and due to being placed on Schindler's list. An important historical account of the horrors inflicted on innocent people just because of their faith. Easily readable but contains many details of traumatic events as one would expect from a book about the holocaust.
on 22 December 2012
I found this book very easy to read and hard to put down. A very personal account, very touching, but not overly sentimental, left me with an even further sense of outrage than I had already of how in the h*ll did the Nazis get away with the torturing and murdering millions of people, including babies and children.
on 17 December 2013
really enjoyed this book it was well written whilst it was not as good as some ive read it was interesting enough
on 2 January 2014
It is so hard to understand what millions of good people went through, this was a great read and I recommend it
on 21 August 2015
Heart felt story sad and very real.
on 30 August 2015