5.0 out of 5 stars the greatest book of all times about running
this book is the best book i've ever read about running. This books truly digs in to a runner's spirit and reveals it to the world. definitely a classic that shouldn't be missed by any running afficionado.
Published on 11 Aug 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard going - and I couldn't make it to the end
I found the book a hard read - owing to the almost impregnable language represented as used by American college kids in the '70s. But what really put me off were some of the metaphors: 'Her neck smelled like a parakeet's tummy.' I'm unsure how that is supposed to assist the reader in obtaining a clearer understanding of how his girlfriend smelled.
I gave up at page...
Published 11 months ago by badakjawa

5.0 out of 5 stars Super read if you know what it is like to make any effort to reach a goal through training., 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
Great read. If you have ever tried to train yourself to run any sort of distance goal and experienced the ups and downs this book will surely grip you.

5.0 out of 5 stars truly unbelievable., 25 April 2011
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
this is my first review here, so please bare with me.
it is a book where you read the first page, the second, the third, and keep going till you finish. it keeps you hooked. it not only motivates you for running, but in thinking about life itself. absolutely loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb read, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
A thoroughly inspirational read. I love running and normally read sports biographies so I wasn't sure I would get on with a novel about running, but I think I got through it in a couple of days. Truly excellent writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous and Inspiring, 12 July 2010
This review is from: Once a Runner (Audio CD)
I've read a lot of books about running and this is the only one that I just couldn't put down. Beautifully written with an ending that leaves you breathless. Fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoy this book, 16 Sep 2014
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
I really enjoy this book, easy to read and inspiring, Stright away i cared for the main character and of course I wanted him to win...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Book I have ever read., 3 Dec 1998
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
Once a Runner by John Parker is easily the greatest book I have ever read in my life. In addition to being the most inspirational running novel out there it is perhaps the best written book I have read. Once a Runner helps every runner see that they can go as far with the sport as they want.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book. I feel everyone would enjoy it to., 20 Dec 1998
Great Book!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars As a novel it is lacking, 7 Feb 2001
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
Yes this book is about running, and yes I suppose it offers a few in sights into life on a college team. This does NOT however mean it should automatically be given five stars. I am a very keen runner and was really looking forward to reading this book after the reviews, but I am afraid I found it very disappointing.
The plot is thin to say the least. Let's face it - within a couple of pages it is easy to tell this has been written, not by a writer but a coach. John L Parker should stick to training manuals.
Disappointing. Don't read it if you are a fan of good literature.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!!!, 2 Feb 2011
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
Such a boring book offering no inspiration, motivation or insight into running. Every character is a ridiculous eccentric with a stupid name (Dick Dooby, Brady Grapehouse, Quenton Cassidy, Sidecar Dooby), If you want a book about running "born to run" is atleast 10 times better than this one. The first book i've read that i've actually HATED!

5.0 out of 5 stars The trial of miles and the miles of trials, 14 July 2000
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
Makes the T.Heboy want to go and tuck some miles under his belt like a prancing horse. Buckley stands no chance after one re-read of this.

Once a Runner
Once a Runner by John L., Jr. Parker (Paperback - 6 April 2010)