5.0 out of 5 stars the greatest book of all times about running
this book is the best book i've ever read about running. This books truly digs in to a runner's spirit and reveals it to the world. definitely a classic that shouldn't be missed by any running afficionado.
Published on 11 Aug 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard going - and I couldn't make it to the end
I found the book a hard read - owing to the almost impregnable language represented as used by American college kids in the '70s. But what really put me off were some of the metaphors: 'Her neck smelled like a parakeet's tummy.' I'm unsure how that is supposed to assist the reader in obtaining a clearer understanding of how his girlfriend smelled.
I gave up at page...
Published 9 months ago by badakjawa

5.0 out of 5 stars the greatest book of all times about running, 11 Aug 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top five favorite books of all time!, 16 July 1999
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
Simply a great book. Nothing comes closer to explaining what it is like to run on a college team. I have read it at least 4 times and loved it every time.
John Parker has outdone all others when it comes to writing about running. I only wish it were longer!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best running novel I have ever read!, 4 Jun 1997
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
Being an avid runner, I'm no stranger to reading running novels. Unfortunately, most of these books are written by people who simply chose to write about running and aren't runners themselves. They figured that by doing a little research, they can write with the proficiency of someone who has been running hard their entire life. Usually, their creative efforts wind up being ridiculous, because reading a novel about a high school runner breaking 3:40 in the mile seems a little extreme. This book, on the other hand, gets to the heart of the most serious runner. Parker recognizes and accentuates the highs of victory and the pitfalls of training. He brings to life the desire of a champion and the sacrifice needed to get to that level. This book is a must-read for any runner who is passionate about their sport. I enthusiastically give it a ten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply the best book on the world of serious runners., 10 April 1998
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
Parker lived and trained with Frank Shorter and Jack Bacheler and the other Florida Track Club greats of the early '70s. He captures that atmosphere perfectly. Bruce Denton is Bacheler, Kernsville is Gainesville, Dick Doobey is Doug Dickey, and Quenton Cassidy is... the author - in his dreams, or aspirations. Even better, his dreams become yours. I don't know any serious runner who doesn't love this book. It's at least 20 years old - ignore that 1987 publishing date, Parker self-published it earlier - and it still holds true, absolutely.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've never read a more inspirational book, 8 July 1999
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
Once a runner is the most inspirational book about running that I have ever read. Currently I am on a Track and Cross Country team. This book totally helped me take my training up to the next level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for all runners, 7 Oct 1996
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
Want to know what makes a runner tick?
Read this book...you'll be forever
changed. It describes a fictitious collegiate
track program with some very colorful
characters. Their tales and traumas
boil down the essence of running.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard going - and I couldn't make it to the end, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
I gave up at page 142 and the book now resides in a charity shop along with the sequel 'Again To Carthage' which I - unfortunately - purchased at the same time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Like running a Marathon....., 18 Nov 2013
M. Hadley "MH" (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
......boring, tedious at the start, get to half way and check the watch knowing that you will have to start digging in soon, three quarters of the way through and things start to flow because of the slow start, digging in near the end as things get interesting and crossing the line in relief..... If you think that's how a marathon goes then you can read the same for this book.

I'm a runner and there was only 1 chapter about training that had me gripped, I simply don't understand where the rave reviews come from as I simply found it dull and boring at times but with just enough to keep me reading. There are snippets of humor and times when you dive into the mind of someone that puts everything on the line, but then just as it gets going it drops a mile at easy pace to keep you from going out too fast.

My wife picked it up and tried to read it too, she isnt a runner but has read my running books like "Running with the Kenyans" and "Born to Run" and enjoyed them, this one she put down after 50 pages.

Shame really

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Runner's Cult Book, 23 July 1998
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
The first time I read this book it was a friend's...worn and tattered, passed through the hands of my cross country team, loved and cherished by every runner I know. I now own it, and read it as often as possible. I never tire of Quentin Cassidy's quirky, resilient personality. The writing is phenomenal. I am a writer (who sometimes attempts to write about running), and Parker's metaphors are the example of the century. Oftentimes I will open the book to the best chapter, "The Interval Workout," and feel Cassidy's pain through Parker's near-poetic verse. There is no comparison between this life and the life of a treadmill runner. This is for those that itch to hit country roads, to run for miles and to pretend, just for a moment, that you are invincible. For the milers, for the sprinters, for the runners of the soul, read this book. You will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book without words., 18 Oct 1998
This review is from: Once a Runner (Paperback)
On the van ride to a meet two days ago, a teammate threw the book at me and said, "Here freshman, read this. You got 'til we get back tomorrow." I finished it with hours to spare on the van ride. Parker wrote without words...you read this book, and you don't think that Parker understands writing about running...you think that Parker understands running. I've never seen anything yet that came so close to the truth; he knew my pain and love, and he captured it seemingly without difficulty. And now, I go to order my own copy of the book...one that I can underline MY own favourite parts, and write my inspirational messages inside the covers!

Once a Runner
Once a Runner by John L., Jr. Parker (Hardcover - 7 April 2009)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available