4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, smooth and funny
Edge of Destiny is the second Guild Wars (2) book, although it is chronologically placed before Ghosts of Ascalon, the first release.

The premise for the book is fairly simple, it aims to introduce readers to the recent history of the game world: the founding and eventual (temporary?) dissolution of the legendary adventuring group Destiny's Edge. However, J...
Published on 21 Oct 2011 by Asherett

3.0 out of 5 stars A good story but problems with the Kindle version.
Firstly I must point out that this review is of the Kindle version of the book.

This showed one advantage of the Kindle - The paperback book was out of stock, but the Kindle version will of course always be available.

I am a huge fan of Guild Wars having played the game for around five and a half years.

The Guild Wars series of novels...
Published on 30 Dec 2010 by S. Horrigan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! very compelling story, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny (Mass Market Paperback)
As with the previous book Guild Wars: Ghosts of Ascalon, I read it, and all the while was captivated and could not put it down, the reason I enjoy this book more however is although the previous story was interesting and did keep me hooked, the story was not too involving of the current game and frankly the book was not written very well.
I am not the best judge when it comes to literature, but my wife (biased as she may be) put the book down after a page saying that it is badly written.
The constant streams of overused words like "despite himself" were just grating after a while and I really just wanted to get the book finished.
Whereas with Edge of Destiny, I was happy all the way through, there may have been a couple of overused words, but on the whole this book was written in a better way and really portrayed the scene, a very emotional ending and it leaves you wanting more, roll on book three!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, wouldn't bother to re-read though., 13 May 2013
This review is from: Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny (Mass Market Paperback)
All in all, it's just... Okay. I liked a couple characters but the constant, typical "woe is me" whine of the humans in GW is just boring in all honesty. The story is fine, predictable with no real twists but if you enjoy the world then it's a decent story. I read a lot of fantasy books and whilst I love knowing some back story to the game, it just really doesn't hold up to other game-based fantasies (WoW, etc.) I wouldn't recommend unless to someone interested in the GW world, though I'd probably suggest Ghosts of Ascalon before this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite of the 2, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny (Mass Market Paperback)
Both guild wars 2 books were amazing, they add so much more to the background of the game so for anyone that enjoyed gw1 or gw2 i really recommend reading them as they add more insight to what's going on in the world and also add's more insight to the races and in this case what's going on with destiny's edge.
the humour in these books were great and i really enjoyed reading them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny (Mass Market Paperback)
If you already know about the Guild Wars series and would like to go into more detail about the previous happenings in the world, then this is the book for you. I wouldn't recommend for people who are new to it though. In my opinion, it was amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Guild wars lore, 28 Dec 2012
A very good fantasy novel. Very well written. You will however get more out of it if you enjoy the guild wars world

3.0 out of 5 stars Tells a story, 12 Aug 2012
J. Riddle "Jos Riddle" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the second book that tells of the events leading up to Guild Wars 2, it actually takes place before the first book so does not require you to read them in order.

The story is alright and moves along at a bearable pace, however has longs spells of being bland.

Not bad for a historical view point for the Guild Wars 2 Story but nothing special.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as lore, not so good as a story, 24 April 2012
Ben Atkins (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny (Mass Market Paperback)
As my title says, if you're looking for a book that'll teach you some of the lore, and backstories of some of the main characters? in, Guild Wars 2 then by all means buy this book. If however you are here looking for a good read, in my opinion, and that of some of the other reviewers, that you ought to give this a miss, as it doesn't seem to go anywhere much at any pace until the end, and then it goes straight from first gear to fifth while travelling at 300 miles per hour, finally slamming on the brakes for the end battle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good novel for kids, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny (Mass Market Paperback)
If your a lover of fiction and read a lot of quality novels then don't buy this. If you want something thats easy to read and explains some more of the world of Tyria (GW2) then this is an ok read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as terrible as I feared, 11 April 2011
Tinni (London, England) - See all my reviews
I had just read Ghost of Ascalon (very good book and you should read it) and since I liked that book a lot. I bought Edge of Destiny without really thinking about it. It was only after I bought it did I see the terrible, terrible, terrible reviews it had gotten. I was so disheartened that I was planning on returning the book. But I got side tracked and missed the 7 day return thing and so I had no choice but to keep and read the book.

Compared to Ghosts of Ascalon it is falls short and the shortness is due to the human and the charr involved. They became friends too fast IMO. Way too fast for bitter enemies. I mean, Dougal Keane (Ghost of Ascalon) was away from Ebonhawke and regular Charr hunting for close to five years and even he took time adjusting to his Charr companion. Logan and Rytlock Brimstone became very fast friends. Too fast. Way too fast IMO. It just didn't feel natural or right.

Then there was Logan himself. He's letters to Queen Jennah pretty much shows how detached he is from his companions. So it's not really a surprised what happens in the end. You can see it coming from a mile away. Now some have described the Logan/Queen Jennah interaction as "romance". Well I am sure Logan is in love with her but I am a charr if she sees him as anything but a pawn to play with and last I looked, I wasn't an overgrown kitty-cat. I will give the book this, if you read the Logan/Queen Jennah interaction as a crafty queen manipulating a lovesick idiot and using his fame to her own advantage, their interaction actually becomes more realistic. Otherwise it's a pretty terrible lady and the tramp, love-at-first-sight drivel that's especially hollow and unbelievable.

I did however like the other members of the fellowship and empathised more with them and their struggles. The overall story does give hints on what we as players will have to do when we play Guild War 2 and it emphasises the mixed race party - which I am sure Arenanet hopes we'll all use in Guild War 2. The story is also enjoyable enough. But I would suggest downloading the sample first and also, not to assume its of the same quality as Ghost of Ascalon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny (Mass Market Paperback)
an enjoyable book if you are into science fantasy

Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny
Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King (Mass Market Paperback - 28 Dec 2010)
Used & New from: 1.46