5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent info if your premature baby is still in hospital, 11 Dec 2001
By A Customer
Joshua was born at 32 weeks, and luckily did not have many of the complications that can occur with babies born this age and earlier. I needed a book to explain what to expect with his development..when would he smile, grasp objects etc..and how long would it take him to catch up. This book did answer a few of my questions..but the main bulk was irrelevant to me as Josh left hospital at 3 weeks. The book is very interesting and useful ..but I think aimed more at very premature babies. I now take the view that Josh will develop in his own way..as all babies, whether they are premature or not, are all different...

5.0 out of 5 stars Preemies - can not recommend highly enough, 14 Sep 2009
Hazel Mycroft - See all my reviews
I gave birth to my twins at 27 weeks - totally unexpected, added to this we currently live in Prague in the Czech Republic. This book was my saviour. It explains all of the complicated medical language without being sensational or scary. It explains all the potential things that your premature baby may face in an informative way without blinding you with science. It has exerts from other parents who have faced the same things. Also it covers emotional issues that you may be facing - guilt at not being able to carry the baby full term etc. They have a question/answer section which really helps. It covers not only the time your baby is in hospital, but what happens if they need surgery, what to expect when you are told you can take them home, the first years and preschool.

I can not recommend this book highly enough. If you have a premature baby this is the only book you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for NICU parents, 28 Sep 2001
By A Customer
I wish I had found this book when my premmie baby was still in hospital, although it is extremely informative even now we are home. It covers all the 'what ifs' and most of the questions you'd like to ask the paediatric consultants. THe temptation is to read the whole thing but it really is better to focus on the chapters that relate to your baby and how they are going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and easily managed, 5 Sep 2014
For someone with no medical background this book was simply written and gave me a better understanding of what was happening to my baby. I could work through the sections which were relevant to my situation at my own pace. There didn't seem to be a lot of reading material out there which answered my questions but this was a godsend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Preemies: The Essential Guide for Parents of Premature Babies (Paperback)
Bought this for my sister, who had twins at 26 weeks. She reads it daily and it has been a good source of information for her to refer to.
As I have not read this, I can't say too much, but my sister has said it has been really useful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction, 5 Jan 2013
A good introduction for life with a preemie, although American in its slant. Useful to research, very comprehensive and easily worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars newmummy, 12 May 2011
We ordered this book the week after our son was born at 31 weeks. More than anything else we read it helped us to come to terms with our early arrival and all that it meant. It explains everything in simple terms and at times it was scarily accurate. It contains medical information and snippets from other parents who have experienced the same situation. The only slight downside that it is American and so you have to get used to the terminology and American-terms for things. Nonetheless I would recommend this to anyone - I only wish there was a similar book which covers later months.

5.0 out of 5 stars helped us enormously, 29 April 2011
Amazon Customer "JT" (Coventry United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having to go through the last 6 weeks with our premature baby (26weeks) has been extremely tough, some people like us may find that this book helps with the process.
We have read nearly all of it already....and have found it useful in understanding what doctors have told us, or preparing ourselves for what else we might expect. Would recommend to anyone who likes to be prepared with information, certainly beats surfing web for bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 16 Aug 2014
An Svinarova "Assia" (UK) - See all my reviews
This book saved me from a complete meltdown during the toughest weeks after the premature birth of my baby son Max. It provides honest answers to all the questions the parent of a premature baby is asking herself. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, Objective and Reassuring for Bewildered Parents, 2 Oct 2010
We were shown this book by one of the nurses in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit where our extremely premature sons were (23 1/2 weeks). We found it easy to read and very reassuring. It's not always easy to remember and piece together everything you're being told and this book was very comprehensive. Liked the sections giving you the doctor's perspective. A US-based book, but relevant for UK parents and a good source of information.

Preemies: The Essential Guide for Parents of Premature Babies
Preemies: The Essential Guide for Parents of Premature Babies by Mia Wechsler Doron (Paperback - 9 Nov 2010)