‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, just love it, 14 Sep 2009
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
This is the first non-urban fantasy book I've read in a while, and its one I saw by chance on Amazon.com. Never heard of it or the author before, but the cover and title caught my eye so I decided to give it a try. What I found was a gem of a book I kind of fell in love with.

Meg is an outwardly tough girl who lives life on the edge, but it doesn't take readers long to realise that most of it is a cover for a much more vulnerable girl. As punishment for a drunken stunt on a railway bridge she's forced to forgo spring break and spend the nights riding around in Officer John After's squad car with him. Something she's initially very unhappy about. Meg likes to break the rules and do as she pleases. John's by the book ways infuriate her.

But John has secrets enough to rival Meg's. As they work together they push each other, hard. Meg determined to discover why John's so set on staying in their small town. John determined to find out why Meg's so set of getting out and staying out. As the story unfolds, and Meg and John grow closer, both their secrets begin to come to light and things get messy.

It's not a perfect book, but I don't care. Meg's sassy voice and the sharp dialogue kept me reading until I'd finished it. Ms. Echols does a great job of capturing these teens emotions and shows how long past events can have lasting and devastating consequences.

There are a couple of good twists that I didn't see coming and the carefully built tension ensures it's a book you can't put down. I love Meg's voice and fell in love with John right along side her. At just shy 250 pages it's a quick read, but that doesn't mean it's impact free. There is a lot packed in to this shorter book. I would highly recommend it to all older teens, and reckon there are plenty of adults who would also get a lot out of it too. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Hot Hot ;), 4 July 2010
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
I feel in love with Jennifer Echols writing after reading Forget You. The sexual tension and the chemistry between the male and female protagonist literally crackles off the page *lets steam out of collar*.

Written in first person narrative, Meg has a brash bold exterior from the tips of her blue hair to her witty retorts. Yet from the very beginning you feel as if there is more to her, that maybe the way she looks and acts is just a defense mechanism she uses in order to protect herself. I especially liked the insights into the way Meg's imagination works. The adage about appearances being deceptive certainly applies to Meg.

Throughout her Ride along with Officer After *swoon* her defences are slowly lowered, the circumstances that created the defences are revealed. Showing how incidents and actions in our lives shape the person we become. As the story progresses we can also see that this is also applicable to John After.

I have to say that Jennifer Echols writes the hottest male protagonists that you can imagine. Not only are they super gorgeous but have wonderful sensitive personalities and understand women have needs too ;) I wish I had met someone like that at 17 *again steam collar* ;)

As the story progresses Meg and John confront the ghosts of their past, learn to accept who they really are and move on with their lives rather than letting the past tie them down. A great way to show that although the past shapes us it doesn't have to control us.

Overall a terrific read with characters that are both realistic and easy to relate to. A great storyline and electric tension that if harnessed would light up a city : D

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich and complex!, 6 April 2010
Dwayne @ Girls Without a Bookshelf (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
I was blown away by this novel. It was such a unique read that I was mostly oblivious to every element of change the busy high street around me had undergone. Not even shopping managed to tear me away from this book. It was such a captivating novel.

What I thought the greatest strength of this novel is Echols' heavy characters. Meg and John are one of the, if not the most complex characters I have encountered. Echols' attention to details allows for full attention to her protagonists, a feat not many authors are able to execute. The depth to her characters goes beyond the supercificial and extends on to so many levels. They are well drawn and distinguished without the deprivation of genuine humanity. Best of all, their emotional and psychological intensity makes them a cut above the rest.

Meg's voice was fiercely rebellious and her tone inherently explosive, that combined with the dialogues and exchanges which characterises John in a completely differently light, comes an inevitable romance that can only be Echols' unique story. Surprisingly, Meg maintains to be a very relatable, very endearing character; one that you may not agree with, but you can never dislike.

My reading experience was one of awe and blind guesses. I found the storyline and pacing different from much of the other novels I have read. The criss-crossing of various elements of the story resulted to a fantastically developed story. There are many twists in the plot that occured at different times - all of which garnered the same shock factor and equal appreciation. I was taken aback and challenged at certain points of the novel; it really was an engaging read.

I found Going Too Far a novel of wonderful surprises and challenging twists and turns, all of which builds this novel to be something of quality. The ending was very satisfactory, much like an account and tangible proof of the lengthy transitions and changes the characters undergo through for and because of each other. Before I forget to mention, Going Too Far is also a novel about a damaged psyche, trauma, fears and inhibitions - its motif include psychological understandings and much more.

I like it so much I even zoomed in on the cover - and I think that little eyebrow piercing is digitally added. :D

4.0 out of 5 stars IMAO review of going to far, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
This book starts off straight in the action (in a way) and you will find out through out this book the importance of the bridge. It is a good read for almost any teenager who loves reading about far fetched teenage problems. You begin in the start to love Meg the main female character (from her POV) she is much more complex than she seems, you fall in love with her drive, passion and witty humour. On the other hand when you meet John- for some of you it may be touch and go- you'll either love him or hate him, I loved him. His gritty exterior and drive for his job makes him and Meg crash heads more than once.
This is a book which I managed to read in a few hours, A) because it is one of those fab shortish versions and b) because I couldn't leave the book with out finding out what was to happen next.
This is a book I highly recommend to any teenager with a budding desire to read. I loved it.
(Plus Meg has her own twist at the end of the book, and frankly you love her even more)

5.0 out of 5 stars going too far, 4 Jun 2011
Ali (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
It's told in first person narrative from Meg's point of view. I have no preference in narrative style when reading a book but, now that I've read it, I can't imagine this story being told any other way. Echols has created a flawed but ultimately likable character, who slowly reveals herself to the reader. To say I adored the writing would be an understatement. It flowed so easily, it sounded exactly like a smart-mouthed seventeen year old, when she said random things like "I am full of fear," you completely believed her because you felt like that too.

This takes place over the course of a week. As punishment, Meg must spend every night for a week with John on his shift patrolling the town. Once I got over the disbelief of this as a punishment, I enjoyed it. Meg observes the mundane parts of John's job but also the danger and the horrifying. Just as the plot begins to get predictable, BAM!, something happens to weave it off track. It's a deceptively simple story.

The main characters are Meg and John. There are others but they're not who the story is about. I've already spoken about Meg so onto John. I liked him. I probably fell a little bit in love with him (which happens waaay too often with me). He is so sincere in trying to teach Meg a lesson, in trying to make her see the error of her rebellious ways. At first we're not really sure why because we're finding out about him a Meg herself is and his development does happen at a slower pace. But that's okay; it's worth it in the end.

The ending was both heartbreaking and heartwarming. It was such a beautiful book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 4 Mar 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Meg pushes limits.

Right before Spring Break, she and her friends are found trespassing on a dangerous railroad bridge, under the influence. They almost lose their lives.

As punishment, they must forgo their trip to Miami Beach and instead each spend a week riding with a trauma unit in an effort to teach them a lesson.

Meg must spend the week riding in a police car with the officer who brought her in. She's unnerved to find that not only is he a few years older than she is and that they once had class together - but also that she's falling for him.

For Meg, the girl who doesn't plan anything and who runs away from any emotional ties, this week could spell out her downfall.

Jennifer Echols deals with the limits of life and shocking everyone in GOING TOO FAR, a novel readers won't want to put down.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book!, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
One of my favourite Jennifer Echols books, the story pace is good and plots twists are exciting but feels realistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice read, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Going Too Far (Paperback)
Nothing with too much depth, a nice simple read which you can finish within a few hours if you're an avid book reader. Liked the characters, wasn't cheesy kept me busy on the train.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Going Too Far (Kindle Edition)
I've read quite a few of Echol's books and this is by far my favourite. It's a wonderful original romance between two individuals who each have their own issues to deal with. The romance is a great slow builder, this is definitely a cut above the usual ya romances, and one I've 're-read 3 times already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Going Too Far (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book from beginning to end, I was drawn in straight away and I equally loved the ending!

Meg is a great character and so is John, it's amazing the secrets they find out about each other in the worst way possible, it was totally unexpected and not at all predictable! This really is forbidden love in it's best form, two people that just weren't meant to be together, but are in love.

Perfect book, defiantly recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xabf12a20)

Going Too Far
Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols (Paperback - 20 April 2009)
6.44