Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 January 2008
I would highly recommend the whole Miles Vorksigan series which I have read and reread many times. I was really, really hoping this was a new book but Miles in Love is a combination of the full-length novels Komarr, A Civil Campaign and the short story Winterfair Gifts. I do not recall this being made clear in the advertising and I do feel conned by the publishers.

If you have never read any of this series it is better to start from the beginning with Shards of Honor as while each book can stand alone, each does build on the previous one. The author writes intelligent, readable and entertaining science fiction in the case of this series and excellent fantasy in her other books.

I'm still hoping for more new stories about Miles et al!!
33 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2013
Thanks to other reviews I did realise this was an omnibus, but didn't realise what a joy it would be to read all the stories of Miles' courtship and marriage in order, including Winterfair (which I'd not read before). I've actually read it several times, it's that good. The stories are written with pace and style, and draw you on through the omnibus.

Miles Vorkosigan, heir to a militaristic Vor aristocracy, and survivor (just) of a covert career in the intelligence services, having lost the career and the woman he loved, is trying to carve out a new life for himself as an imperial auditor. This trouble-shooter role suits him perfectly, but he doesn't quite realise it yet.

The case he and a colleague are investigating lead him to a politically sensitive and tangled plot on Komarr, where he meets Ekaterin, unhappily married to a weak but bullying husband who is embroiled in the plot. Read on...
on 21 July 2014
Great book, but as I already had two of the stories it would have been easier if the missing one had been available in print instead of as only an ebook. I wanted to read it for completeness.
on 16 May 2011
Yet another book in the excellent Miles series.
I like this one the best of the lot especially the humour and the characters.

Highly recommended.

I suppose its 'military' science fiction but its also a touch of historical fiction blended with science fiction and the characters really draw you in -- not out and out heroes but people in situations with frailties and faults, bravery and fears.
on 18 September 2014
Yet another gem in the Miles saga
on 21 May 2015