5.0 out of 5 stars Tides of War... Golden's brought it back to the origins
Tides of War revolves around the diplomatic alliance Mage, Jaina Proudmoore, and the fractured Horde's campaign to take back what they believe is rightfully theirs; Kalimdor. Lead by the cunning but arrogant Warchief Garrosh Hellscream - who has manipulated his Horde to the point where it's proud and fan-loved faction leaders are on a leash; one which they are sorely...
Published 22 months ago by NPAbyssal

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the strongest effort.
As one of the expansion bridge novels, it necessarily is going to have to hit certain plot points for the sake of hitting them, but of Golden's efforts this feels the most perfunctory. The whole story feels kind of like 'this thing happens, so this bit happens, and then the table's set for new expansion', which I feel detracts from the overall storytelling...
Published 1 month ago by Sam

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Jaina Proudmore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Series) (Hardcover)
Christi Golden is a really great writer. She depicts the changes Jaina goes through in a way that really makes the reader empathise with her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 16 Nov 2013
Again, one great WoW book by Christie Golden. I really enjoyed the read. As I haven't played the latest expansion, there were many unexpected moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again, amazing!, 16 Nov 2013
Another great book by Christie Golden! This book has everything, a great love story and amazing action. Christie's writing is fantastic, as always it makes you have a clear picture of what she is describing. Some of the great characters are back too. Hats off Christie, you have done it again, another great Warcraft book!! Please keep doing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good purchase!, 8 Sep 2013
I loved this book from start to finish.
Christie Golden never stops to amaze me how good of a writer she is compared to other World of Warcraft authors. Having her write about one of my favorite characters in the Warcraft universe was just the perfect combination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading in preparation for 5.4, 6 Aug 2013
For any WoW players who are bored of playing and are waiting for the inevitable raid on Orgrimmar, I would recommend giving this a read to fuel your hatred for Garrosh!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but shame I knew what was going to happen, 13 April 2013
B. Sanchez - See all my reviews
I have treid to write this without giving any Spoils for those that do not know, so I apologise if it is a bit cryptic

The title sums it up really this is a very good book but having played MoP (and one scenario in particular) I knew what was going to happen and found myself silently shouting and the characters to not do certain things.

However that said, before I read this book MoP had some unanswered questions concerning Lady Jaina Proudmore, and this certainly explained the hows and the whys, for anyone who has not played the operation Shieldwall questline (and / or) started the Isle of Thunder (alliance side) , this book will certainly fill in some gaps before you do and even if you have it will explain the whys and wherefores.

ON these strengths alone and the fact that is it a very good read I will recommend it but be advised it takes quite a while to get to the part that most MoP players probably already know about

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 11 April 2013
I am wow GEEK and proud love the on-line game and the lore surrounding the game. I have read lots of the books and this stands as one of the best. Jania Proudmore is not one of my favourite characters but i was interested in the destruction of Theramore. The book was a bit repetitive at times but a wonderful story well told.

If you love wow this is a book for you. Hope you enjoy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaina Proudmoore gets the Golden Touch!, 21 Feb 2013
John Roberts (Barnsley, England) - See all my reviews
Naturally, Golden is my favourite Warcraft writer when the first book of the series I read was The Shattering (World of Warcraft Cataclysm Series), also by herself. In fact, it was the first book that I found incredibly hard to put down, however that's not saying much as I very rarely find time to read. Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War does justice to the horrific butchery of the quest zone, Theramore, in the MMORPG World of Warcraft (which this book is based on). One of my favourite zones was turned into a "3-man encounter", and blown to smithereens without an explanation as to why in-game.

But now I understand completely, and not once was I scratching my head thanks to Christie Golden's clarity throughout the novel. Jaina Proudmoore is completely unaware that the Focusing Iris, an item used to draw all the magic of the planet Azeroth to the Blue Dragonflight's home - the Nexus - has been stolen. Not only that, but its reasons for being stolen are also very dark. She must team up with the charming young leader of the Blue Dragonflight, the ex-Aspect Kalecgos, and retrieve the Iris before it is too late.

Meanwhile, in the Horde, tensions are rising. Baine Bloodhoof, Cheiftain of the Bloodhoof Tauren, and Vol'jin, Shadow Hunter and leader of the Darkspear Troll clan, are questioning their loyalty to the Horde. Even during the summit, Lor'themar Theron, Regent Lord of the Blood Elves, and Lady Sylvanas Windrunner, the Banshee Queen of the Forsaken, have their doubts about remaining in the faction. Garrosh Hellscream, the son of fabled Grom, is leading the Horde to disaster. His bloodthirst is becoming even more unquenchable, his desire to not just crush the Alliance, but completely remove anything that isn't Horde from the face of Azeroth, is becoming more dire. And Garrosh, Warchief of the Horde, will do anything to make sure people tell him what he wants to hear.

I really like the story of Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War, not only because one of my favourite characters is seeing more depth, but because it changes my opinions on characters drastically. While Garrosh is a hot-headed baffoon, I had to admire his "wisdom" later on, and I even became interested in one of my least desirable factions in game, the Blue Dragonflight (simply because I don't understand them). I'm even given more insight to the leader of the Kirin Tor, Rhonin, as well as his wife Vareesa and her cause.

But despite all this, one thing that got on my nerves was Jaina's sudden change of attitude when she loses the thing that makes her.... well, Jaina. Her outbursts of rage, her sudden insanity - despite her loss - is unacceptable. Insanity should come gradually, not immediately after a scrap and an explosion. Her rage is so great that she gives up on diplomacy (so long as Garrosh remains the Warchief), and goes to great lengths to crush the Horde herself for their attrocities.

Very few times however did I have problems, though I did put the book off for a week as soon as the story opened up with the Blue Dragonflight. Understanding now that they're, y'know, the masters of all magic, I have to admit that they play a very important role in the books and weren't added just for the sake of it.

The ending itself doesn't reveal Pandaria, or anything to do with the voyage there, which is a shame because it makes little sense of why "The White Pearl" needed to travel there in the first place. Or at least, in that direction. And I think this was indeed one of the major reasons why WoW players who wanted an explanation for early events bought the book. That and because Golden is a fantastic author.

Another thing that bugs me is the question, "what happened to Malkorok, the Blackrock Orc?", as he just disappears. I've yet to go to Orgrimmar or rather, Grommash Hold to see if he's there, but he kind of disappeared. With any luck there'll be more of an explanation as to his origins, why he joined the Horde and what he plans to do while he's there. A very mysterious fellow indeed.

*CONCLUSION*

To conclude, I've had a great time reading this 309 page novel, giving me even more insight to the now-leader of the Kirin Tor (and the Kirin Tor Offensive in Patch 5.2), as well as her struggles during the War on Theramore. I'd recommend this book if you like the character of Proudmoore, and learning of Garrosh's plans for Kalimdor! Definitely worth 15 or under!

5.0 out of 5 stars happy, 2 Jan 2013
my partner was very happy with his book, he is reading it right now, im very happy with my order and will order another soon

5.0 out of 5 stars Tides fo War, 19 Mar 2013
Not gotten around to reading this thus far, but Christie Golden is known for her great work on WoW books, so I know it's definitely worth more than the 5 stars I'm limited to

Jaina Proudmore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Series)
15.19