on 4 October 2010
Jodi Picoult books are one of my guilty pleasures but this one left me feeling very uncomfortable indeed. She often chooses complex domestic situations and dilemmas that provoke interesting moral quandaries. However this novel seems to suggest that as long as one is a middle class mother who loves her child then murder is OK. Not only that if Dad joins in that is OK too. I wonder if such latitude would be given by readers to revenge gang killings in a poor area. There is not even any evidence of either parent suffering, rather than just declaring, guilt. JP recently wondered why Jonathon Franzen is talked of as a great writer rather than female authors, presumably such as she. I suggest that he avoids the emotionally untruthful sentimentality of this book.

It has spoilt me for reading more which is a pity. It is as if something has been revealed about a moral world that I want no part of- rather like police stories where violence on the part of policeman is deemed acceptable and even desirable because they are portrayed as 'on the right side'. Being a mother does not confer righteousness.
on 11 October 2009
I am a huge fan of Jodi Picoult, but this book was just plain bad. I actually considered not finishing it. I was completely unsympathetic to the main character in this book, despite the horrible situation she was in. I really didn't like the ending. It was unrealistic and showed far too much sympathy for the main character. The story was not interesting and it wasn't a page turner like other Jodi Picoult books. I can't think of a single good thing to say about it.
on 30 December 2005
I received Perfect Match as a gift for Christmas 2005. I highly recommend it. It hooks you on every page. Jodi Picoult shows an astonishing understanding of the situations in the story. The characters are warm, and each has some skeletons in their closet they would rather hide.
A wonderful story on the subject of a relationship between mother and son, and how far she will go to protect him. It gets a definite 8/10 maybe more.
on 26 September 2006
When i started reading the book i was gripped and wanted to find out what happened. However as the storyline developed, i would say i agreed with the other reviewers who say that Picoult's books are too samey, and the ending was real dissappointment, as if it had been thought of in a hurry as a way to tie up lose ends. I found the characters hard to relate to, and difficult to like, although i found the small sections told from Nathaniel's point of view very effective and personal.

Overall i would say that if you have read other Jodi Picoult books, like My Sisters Keeper or Salem Falls, you are not missing out if you don't read this book. Do we really need another Picoult happy ending?
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2007
Nina Frost is usually the prosecutor in cases of child sexual abuse, but she is totally unprepared when her five-year-old son discloses that he has been abused. The novel examines how Nina copes and behaves when something she deals with every day happens closer to home, and how she ultimately finds justice both for herself and her son.

I really enjoyed this book. It follows a typical Picoult structure, incident then trial, looking at things both from the individual's view point and also using a third person narrator. The subject matter is dealt with sensitively and I loved the way in which she allows the reader to interpret and misinterpret action after the allegation of abuse had been made. It was a real wake-up call to me to have my prejudices challenged!

The only let down was the twist in the novel (I won't give anything away) but it did all seem a bit unlikely, which I think spoilt an otherwise terrific read.

Still worth a look.
on 20 December 2007
This is the first Jodi Picoult book I have read; I decided to wait a few days after finishing the book before writing a review; I did not want to jump straight in, i needed to mull it over in my mind! The book is very well written and factual but it was almost a rollercoaster of a book with it suddenly becoming gripping, then almost a bit boring. The story through the eyes of Nathaniel was very well written. The twist at the end is a bit of a shocker. I have made a start on Keeping Faith; have read about 30 pages and have already noticed a simliar pattern emerging; a child going mute. I am not sure if I am a fan of Picoult yet; i will read a few more books and let you know.... If this is your fist Picoult book, I would pick another one the legal jargon is quite hard going at times.
on 25 March 2008
Nobody knows what our reaction would be should something terrible happen to us or to someone we truly love. When life seems to be going well but a sudden, terrible blow comes unexpectedly, there is no way to fathom, no way to know, not even for the most predictable and reliable human being. Ms. Picoult's book `Perfect Match' explores, from different points of views, exactly that.

When Nathaniel's parents realise that he has been repeatedly sexually abused by a trustworthy person, his Mum, Nina, breaks down in every sense of the word. Knowing fully well, due to her line of work and experience -she is a prosecutor-, that the (American) justice system will somehow fail her son and that the perpetrator will most likely get off the hook (or pay very little compared to the damage he has done to little Nathaniel), she decides to take matters into her own hands, thus eradicating the boundaries between her professional and personal life. This act obviously leads to a court case, one that places Nina on the other side of the bench. Was she justified to act as she did? Was she right? Was she wrong? How does all that follows affect her and the people she loves most, her son, her husband, and all her friends and colleagues?
Everything is seen through different perspectives. But how will it end?

As usual, Ms. Picoult's choice of subject is thought-provoking and uncomfortable thoughts linger on. Personally, I think that some characters in this book were not that plausible even though the narrative flows effortlessly and in some way, this book is a page-turner. However, there was `something' in it that did not quite strike the right chord for me, more specifically toward the end, hence the 3 star vote.
on 26 February 2006
I’m definitely a fan of Jodi Picoult and have so far read My Sisters Keeper, Vanishing Acts, The Pact, Plain Truth & Salem Falls. I enjoy her style of writing which always manages to suck you in so you feel you know all the characters intimately. Perfect Match didn’t live up to those expectations at all.
The story centers around Assistant District Attorney, Nina Frost, who’s job involves dealing with children who have been abused and trying to bring their abusers to justice. She knows the system and she knows that very few children can deal with the trauma of facing their abuser in a court-room. All this is at the forefront of her mind when she discovers her son, Nathaniel, has been abused. First Nathaniel stops speaking. In an effort to try identify who Nathaniels abuser is Nina encourages him to adopt sign-language. When Nathaniel does identify his abuser Nina knows that to get justice she can’t expect the court system to work so she goes off on a one-woman crusade to save her son…..and ease her guilty conscience.
I enjoyed this book right up to the ending. While there were a few twists and turns along the way I found the book was a huge let-down in the final pages. The happy ever after story-line is just tired at this stage. It’s always the same with Jodi Picoults books and while I admire her manner of dealing with difficult topics I think it’s about time that the ending was changed. I was disappointed with the ending in The Pact also because like Perfect Match I just don’t think it would play out that way in the real world. Up to the ending the story feels real. The ending of Perfect Match and The Pact made me feel somewhat cheated. I’m not sure I can stomach another perfect ending to be honest.
on 22 April 2006
Picoult really sucks you in to difficult issues and you absorb the books in no time. As a parent it makes you very aware of the pitfalls that await some children and how you can't always protect them. The twist about the abuser is a real jaw dropping moment and I agree that she does supply the all American happy ending, however after such a traumatic read perhaps we deserve it (although it would be kinda nice to find one where the pieces don't all fall into place at the end...)
VINE VOICEon 19 April 2007
This is a typical Jodie Picoult book, in that yet again she has the courage to tackle a very difficult subject; one which the majority of authors would shy away from. Jodie Picoult is not exactly the sort of author that one could say one 'enjoys' - but she is an author who makes you think. She tackles tricky subjects with a level of empathy that grips you from beginning to end, and makes you feel you are beginning to understand the emotions behind the actions.

This book tackles the subject of child abuse in a riveting way. It also tackles the idea of what you would do if it were your child who was assaulted. the main character, Nina, is a district Attorney whose job is to represent the abused in court. As such, she knows how slowly the wheel of justice grind, and how often injustice is the result. When her own child is the victim of the assault, she finds it hard to cope - particularly as his responsive is elective mutism. Both of them learn to communicate by American Sign Language - which leads to two grave misunderstandings when he finally tries to identfy his abuser.

She reacts 100% as a mother, with the support of her own legal knowledge, and the result is intriguing.

Some of the twists in the plot require you to suspend belief a little and some aspects of the plot are uncomfortable to read - especially if you are the mother of a young child; but it is, nonetheless, a worthwhile - book to read.

If you have been intrigued by her other books, add this one to your pile.

If you haven't read any of her books before, give it a go, if you feel you can cope with the subject matter.