on 22 March 2013
A very well written and most interesting book. I am sure the historical background has been carefully researched and is accurate. I would readily recommend it to anyone, including those who have no knowledge of, or interest in, Indian history. Like- wise the 2 earlier historical novels the author has written on the Mughal Empire.
on 8 July 2012
Indu S is such a good writer. She has made historical books very imaginative. After having read The Twentieth Wife and the Feast of Roses, I was really looking forward to reading The Shadow Princess and was not disappointed. More from that period please Indu....
on 16 June 2015
I was pleasantly surprised to find on starting this that it picks up where The Feast of Roses left off. Having visited the Taj some years ago, the backstory to its design and construction was fascinating. I also very much enjoy that this story has been built around research she has done. The story itself is not as engaging as Mehrunissa's, and I felt at times it rushed through certain periods, but overall it was an enjoyable and interesting read. I'll definitely be picking up the rest in her collection.
on 6 August 2014
Yet another triumph for Indu. She knows her facts and interweaves them into another wonderful story.
on 1 July 2011
I was soo impressed with all the other books by this author that I had built up hopes for this latest books - unfortunately for me this book did not live up to expectations....there just isnt enough writing about the actual people and stories and feelings as the other books - I found this more a history and architecture type lesson then a family saga...many places the book seems to drag and then suddenly it feels rushed - like trying to cram a whole chunk of time within a few sentences...
on 22 August 2015
just found the whole story compelling.
on 16 February 2015