4.0 out of 5 stars Repetative but up to date and very helpful
Published on 22 Jun 2012 by Caroline

2.0 out of 5 stars Could've been a pamplet...
Maybe it's because I've had migraines for 30 years but I was very disappointed with this book, especially with other people reviewing it so highly. It literally could have been a pamphlet.

Repeating itself constantly and padded out with numerous "case studies" which are literally just descriptions of variations of migraines with names attached...
Published on 26 May 2010 by Galning

2.0 out of 5 stars Could've been a pamplet..., 26 May 2010

Basically it's the same old thing - keep regular sleeping hours, try and find out what your triggers are, try every homeopathic and medical option you can until you find the one that works for you - yada yada.

Disappointed

4.0 out of 5 stars Repetative but up to date and very helpful, 22 Jun 2012
I borrowed this book from the library and now have to buy it as a reference book I will use often. I agree with the other reviewer that it can be wordy and repetative but some things need repeating and discussing in other contexts to be relevant to people with different types and presentations of migraine. It's easy to read and helps to structure a self help approach to feeling better. I'm seeing a big difference already and it's helped me to structure my dealings with GPs after having to change from one GP to the next and seeing no improvement and worsening symptoms for the last ten years. The advice is straight forward and achievable and gives options for complementary therapy/natural options rather than just medication orientated.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comprehensive book on migraine that I have read, 15 Jun 2012
Kathleen (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have suffered from migraine for 47 years and have read many books and short articles on the subject in my quest for a medication free solution to this debilitating condition. Whilst I still do need to take medication from time to time I feel that this book is the most comprehensive publication on the subject that I have read.

One of the very real problems migraineurs face is getting non-sufferers to take the condition seriously - and to recognise how debilitating it can be. (It is not just a headache!) This book explains clearly the diverse ways in which migraine can manifest itself, suggests triggers that may lead to an attack as well as offering advice on managing the condition. (There is no cure.) There are many useful templates included to help with diagnosis and management.

Although I did already know much of what is in the book I still found it interesting and comforting as I could identify with so many of the points covered. It is repetitive at times but in a book that is likely to be used for reference as well as for reading from end to end that is not necessarily a bad thing. Also, I find case studies interesting. It took me many years to understand my migraine attacks and knowing that others had similar symptoms helped to make me feel less isolated. If only those who do not suffer migraine would read this book too we migraineurs would not feel so 'guilty' or embarrassed when we have to take time off work or cancel social engagements. I think this book helps people to understand that migraine is not 'just a headache' but a condition that needs to be managed BUT that managing the condition is not an exact science.

My most embarrassing migraine was one that caused me to have a day off work during an inspection. I tried desperately to go to work but emptying my digestive system at both ends whilst my head was being 'pounded with a sledgehammer' prevented me. I nearly wept on my inspector's shoulder the following day when he told me he understood because he was a migraine sufferer. I feel this book helps to dispel the guilt that so many sufferers feel when they are compelled to withdraw from activities.

One criticism I would make is that the print is rather small. I have just given my paperback version to my daughter (whose eyes are obviously younger than mine) and bought the Kindle edition for myself. This allows me to have the print at a size comfortable for my eyes. One downside of the Kindle version is that you cannot fill in the many tick boxes or write on the templates. I have got around this by highlighting and making notes. This is easier to do on the PC than the Kindle. I would recommend downloading Kindle for PC even if you own a Kindle - particularly if you like making notes. If you then use the Whispersync facility all the notes are available on your Kindle. I cannot find a way of printing out the various forms but then scanning from a paperback book would not be easy either without damaging the book.

All in all, I think this book is a valuable addition to my migraine armoury.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for all headache sufferers!, 26 May 2009
Fleurina (Colchester, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Migraine Brain: Your Breakthrough Guide to Fewer Headaches, Better Health (Hardcover)
This is a great book - very informative and contains current information on migraines. The author agrees that migraines are due to a brain sensitivity and it is an illness not just an excuse for skiving! The book shows you how to keep a migraine diary to isolate your triggers, suggestions for dietary changes and supplements. Also a list of celebrity migraine sufferers makes you to realise that you are in good company! Even though this is written for an American audience (and as such some of the information about prescribed medications and talking to your health care practitioner may not be relevant) I still believe that most of the material is useful and would therefore recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
A very interesting read. I leaned a lot from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Migraine Bible, 24 Mar 2014
Having had frequent migraines for 15 years this book has made me realise I never fully understood what they were. I always searched and hoped for the eureka moment when I would find what the cause was and be cured, and became obsessed with my endeavour to find the answer. The resulting anxiety and frustration, I realise now, was contributing to the problem. This book has set my restless mind free, I now understand that my brain is simply wired differently, it has helped me to accept my migraines for what they are, and I am now learning to manage them with lifestyle changes. I am learning to relax and give myself permission to rest and take care of myself when I need to and have let go of the guilt and feelings of failure. The book is well written and informative, the repetition I find helps the important points to solidify. I recommend it for anyone whose life is affected by migraine. To the reviewer who commented they have read it all before, same old yada yada - not everyone has read it before!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 12 Feb 2014
This actually help a lot, it tells you how to set up a diary and shows you how to work it out yourself. Very detailed, very very helpful, goes into a lot of detail.

The Migraine Brain: Your Breakthrough Guide to Fewer Headaches, Better Health