4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the average Buffy-book standard
I see Buffy-books as glorified fanfiction. If you want fanfiction you can get it free and a lot better than these souless novels all over the net. However, this book is different. With painstaking attention to the details of canon and a surprising understanding of Faith's character, Levy has written a suprisingly enjoyable novel.

Written in diary-form, it...
Published on 15 Dec. 2006 by Rosamund

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Letdown
Being a huge fan of Faith I was excited to get a chance to read about her past before she entered the show. I read the other reviews on here and got more excited - it sounded as if this book would really capture Faith's character.
Published on 24 May 2008 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the average Buffy-book standard, 15 Dec. 2006
Rosamund (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go Ask Malice (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) (Mass Market Paperback)

Written in diary-form, it begins several months before Faith is called as a slayer. We learn about the life she had which was only hinted about in the show. Levy's Faith is much more vulnerable than any version seen previously, but is instantly recognisable. Her voice and behaivour is spot-on.

I tend to find reading fight scenes very boring, but seen here, through Faith's perspective, they get much more interesting. We see her as a girl torn between a longing for security and a need to rebel, torn between love and hatred, and, most of all, between sanity and what she sees insanity.

Tha language of the book is nothing spectacular, but Levy has a reasonable handle on what a teenage girl sounds like. The diary-form does make it fairly unique from other Buffy-products, and the short and pithy enteries make for compulsive reading.

Even if you're not a fan of Faith, I'd reccomend this book. After reading it, I saw her as a much more interesting character, someone who I could feel real sympathy for. All the less important characters are well drawn too - Faith's watcher, her boyfriend, and the rather scary villain.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Homage to the Dark Slayer, 1 Nov. 2007
I'm been getting Buffy books for years hoping that they would be as good as the show, and so far, no luck.

Until I found this one.

I make no secret of being a Faith fan, more so that of Buffy, but I say this unbiased - this book is well written with an interesting style - almost epistolary with the notes she writes to herself in her diary - with a fantastic plot and an intuitive knowlege of Buffy canon. The details about Faith's past which were exluded from the show are explained here and it's enough to keep you thinking about it for days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 13 Jan. 2008
I found this book to be unputdownable. Absolutely fascinating. It begins with Faith's start in life and her first encounter with a vampire even before she knows what a Slayer is, let alone have become one. It's a novel unlike any of the others written based on Buffy the Vampire Slayer because it's written in the first person as a diary.

All of our questions about Faith are answered because it brings us up to the third season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, just before Faith arrives in Sunnydale. We learn why she uses the phrase "five by five", we learn why she hates her mother so much, why she doesn't ever talk about her father, why she hates men, why she is so messed up and why she is so afraid of Kakistos.

This is a brilliant read if you really want to get into the heart and soul of Faith the Vampire Slayer. Strong recommendation for all those Buffy fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars great buffy book, 14 Aug. 2007
Lindymck (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
this book focuses on faith and the time leading up to her becoming a slayer and the subsequent slaying of her watcher. this books shows that faith is basically a good person but because of events that happened in her life she became the slayer portrayed in the tv series. you get insight into her mind and reactions to events and some understanding of why she became the slayer she did, all the things that were hinted at in both buffy and angel. would recommend that if you are reading this would be ideal to have some knowledge of the faith character/events as this will lead to understanding of events/characters mentioned in the novel.

written in a diary format so makes it easy reading and more inviting/approachable for teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 11 Feb. 2014
its a great book if you were a fan of faith in buffy and always wonderd more about her as they didnt really give you much story of her previous stages in life or much more past it either.

its goo as it looks from her point of view sad in parts but still full of action it drags a little at the begining but you can always skip it a bit if your not to intrested what went on with her and her family life. great book would recommend!

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Letdown, 24 May 2008
Amazon Customer (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
About twenty pages in something struck me - being a Faith fan I should have realized the moment I saw the cover that having a book written as Faith's diary doesn't make sense because a diary is out of character for Faith. But I let it slide... only to be further disappointed by the book.
Robert Joseph Levy puts in the effort to explain Faith's character in full and in doing so simplifies her character to a point which infuriates me. The plot wasn't exactly thrilling and some of the situations just seemed a little bit stretched, even for the Buffyverse.
There were moments were I felt as though I would enjoy the book if it wasn't attempting to be about a character I felt it couldn't capture. But for people who love Faith - I don't think this is the book for you.
I seriously regretted this buy. Finishing the book turned into a chore.

Go Ask Malice (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Go Ask Malice (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) by Robert Joseph Levy (Mass Market Paperback - 3 July 2006)