5.0 out of 5 stars a great read
This book was a great read..I really enjoyed it..so much so that I bought for lots of friends.
Its dynamic,wistful and entertaining.Towards the end of the book I found myself racing through it as the plot thickened
Published on 12 Oct 2009 by Mark Bloom

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't love this, was disappointed
Published on 27 May 2010 by Rosebud Rosen

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 12 Oct 2009
Mark Bloom (london United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Read, 2 Nov 2009
This review is from: Friends Like Us (Paperback)
Caitlin Davis has created four lively women who intrigue, entertain and delight you. Very believable and set in a London that we all know well -- a good read -- I finished the book wanting to know more.....

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab read, 17 Sep 2009
Londoner (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friends Like Us (Paperback)
Caitlin paints her characters in a realistic and interesting manner, and weaves their lives beautifully in a well thought-out story. Recommend this to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars How Much Can You Trust Your Friends?, 31 Aug 2012
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Friends Like Us (Paperback)
The cover of this book is slightly misleading - it looks as though it might be a novel along the lines of 'Sex and the City'. In fact, 'Friends Like Us' is more interesting and more serious - a thoughtful examination of the role of the press and media in today's society, and of female friendship. Loreen, Karen, Ashley and Bel have been friends since primary school. Shortly before going to university, they holidayed at Ashley's parents' house in Portugal, and vowed eternal friendship (always a risky thing to do in fiction as it's ten to one someone will break the vow). Seventeen years on, their lives have gone in very different directions. Loreen is a teacher, a single mother of two boys, endlessly looking for love on the internet (to the concern of her mother Dudu, who brought her up single-handed after Loreen's father died, deciding to stay on in London and work as a nurse rather than return to her native Africa). Karen, the brightest of the girls, has moved to America, become an academic, and is in a passionate relationship with a female colleague (who unfortunately is still married) - she has come to London for a sabbatical to escape the complications in the relationship and catch up with friends and family. Bel, after years in unsatisfying jobs, has decided to take a risk and join the paparazzi, mentored by her mother's boyfriend. And Ashley, the richest, prettiest and most 'in demand' of the friends when they were teenagers, is a wealthy interior designer, with many secrets, who seems to be drifting out of touch with her friends... to give away much more would be to spoil the element of suspense in the novel, but safe to say that, meeting again in their thirties, the friends discover many secrets about each other, and Bel's new job plays a bit part in the central secret, which involves Ashley.

This was a very enjoyable read. Davies writes very well about modern London, and the material about working with the paparazzi was fascinating. I had mixed feelings about some of the characters. I hugely liked American literature-loving Karen, and felt that Davies wrote about her and her partner Stella very well (I'd have liked to have had more of the story from their point of view). Ashley remains deliberately rather mysterious for a while, but when she finally gets a chance to tell the story from her point of view it's fascinating. I initially rather disliked Bel, who seemed a bit of a stereotypical 'bad girl' but warmed to her more and more, particularly when we discover about her OCD problems, written about very sensitively by Davies. The character I felt was the least successfully realized was Loreen (a pity, as her mother was a very strong, interesting character.) I felt that Davies rather overemphasized the sillier sides to Loreen's character, such as her obsession with popular magazines and her constant need to be internet dating (she at one point gets Bel involved too, with hilarious results!). Loreen is meant to be a bright woman - a qualified teacher who got AAB grades at A Level and attended university, but it was hard to believe from what we saw of her here for most of the time. Still - Davies managed to make her fairly sympathetic, and her loyalty to her friends was impressive.

Ultimately I found this novel a bit like watching a really good ITV crime drama or domestic psychodrama - it didn't go hugely deep (hence four stars rather than five) and didn't touch the depths of some novels about modern London (such as Amanda Craig's marvellous books) but it was an enormously enjoyable summer holiday read. I look forward to reading more Caitlin Davies novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly entertaining, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: Friends Like Us (Paperback)
Full of intrigue, familiar London locations and characters you feel you know. I laughed out loud in many places and took a sharp intake of breath in others. I found it hard to put down, and Caitlin writes so well it is effortless to read as are all her books. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read, 8 Sep 2009
This review is from: Friends Like Us (Paperback)
This book is well worth a read. Its very insiteful and will fill any holiday spare time...

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't love this, was disappointed, 27 May 2010
This review is from: Friends Like Us (Paperback)
I had high hopes for this book because I love the cover, but I felt let down by the end of it. The relationship between the characters didn't work for me and it felt quite forced. Also I didn't like the ending that much. I didn't like the character of Loreen who I felt was one-dimensional, I liked Ashley the best. I think the book could have concentrated more on her and less on Loreen. Not a bad book but it didnt live up to expecations.

Friends Like Us
Friends Like Us by Caitlin Davies (Paperback - 3 Sep 2009)