5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
I could not put this down, it was full of drama and suspense from the very beginning and every twist and turn was fantastic! I loved the characters and how they were developed, and think this is the best Sarah Rayne I have read so far. Can't wait to read the next one!
Published on 12 May 2010 by Lighthouse Keeper

3.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Song
Spooky and atmospheric, a little slow in places, bit of a silly ending.
I enjoyed Property of a lady much more.
Published on 24 Dec. 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy and stylish thriller, 9 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Ghost Song (Paperback)
I have to say I am becoming fan of Sarah Rayne. 1st book I purchased was Roots of Evil and frankly speaking I though it will be one of those books which help you survive long flight but completely forgotten afterwards.
How wrong was I!
Great books (Roots of Evil and Ghost Song), sexy and stylish, well researched and perfect for movie screenplay. There is a crime, adventure, romance, mistery, hint of madness, dash of history and attractive hero and heroins.
Story is jumping of the pages.
Well done Sarah!

5.0 out of 5 stars ...A lovely book for those (like me) who wish they could travel back in time., 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Ghost Song (Paperback)
The title cover does not do this book justice- this engaging, exciting but easy read book is much more than a crime investigation novel. Its a book for all those who wish they could , even for a moment , reach into a bygone age. Beautifully descriptive , with just enough menace to keep you wanting to know more. I loved it , if only the Tarleton were a real place!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Song by Sarah Rayne, 27 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Ghost Song (Paperback)
After reading Property of a Lady, I was so impressed with this author I ordered a couple more of her novels. This is the first of her older books for me and all I can say is wow!! Superb book which I had to read(once again) in one sitting. These are not my usual choice of topics but I feel I am being quickly converted. What Lies Beneath next.....try them!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 22 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Ghost Song (Paperback)
This is the first Sarah Rayne book I have read and it was excellent! I began reading one evening in bed, and I could not put it down. The story was quick moving and the plot was great. The history of the theatre was very interesting as well, and I found it to be fascinating. If you like murder/thrillers then I would definatly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lavish performance piece, 15 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Ghost Song (Paperback)
Ghost Song is a psychological thriller that revolves around a closed and boarded repertory theatre in London, the parallel storyline unfolding an earlier mystery, as the two present-day characters investigate this mysteriously boarded historic landmark.

Unusually - for most of her characters are well-rounded - the old building and its history have more character than the two principle present-day characters do; the coupling of a surveyor and a researcher for the Harlequin Society - agents for the preservation of theatrical buildings & their history - could have made a really good lead team, but instead they act as a bland backdrop to the theatre's colourful past.

What Rayne does do well is enthuse the reader on the subject of the building itself, and unfolding the mystery that lies within it. If the budding love-interest sub-plot was rather ordinary, the same cannot be said of the cast of characters belonging to the theatre in its heyday, or to the present day threat unfolding as the old mystery is uncovered. Rayne's strongest characters were the one that really moved the book along for me, and they were the ones with darker or deeper reasons for their interest.

This book is well worth reading, especially if you have an interest in rep. theatre or history; Ghost Song falls short of being an historical novel, I think, but the research was obviously thorough, and as I said, Rayne really injects the book with a sense of past. I think with a bit more care given to plotting (which got a bit thick, in places), Rayne will emerge as a gifted writer of thrillers; she certainly instils her pages with more detail and interest than many I've read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Ghost Song (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I have read by this author and it won,t be the last it certainly kept me on the edge of my seat and I found myself racing through it - I was sorry when it ended which is very rare in a book for me. I am now looking for more by this author

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Story, 16 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Ghost Song (Paperback)
I fairly recently discovered Sarah Rayne in my Local Library and have become a very happy reader. Her plots are a delight as they twist and turn. The outcomes are sensible and she dooes not rely on fudges to the story to keep things going. All in all a very good read

3.0 out of 5 stars readable, 1 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Ghost Song (Paperback)
this is the first book i have read by this author.To start the story was a little slow but once i got into it i enjoyed it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read! Riveting!, 10 April 2009
This review is from: Ghost Song (Hardcover)
I am a great fan of Sarah Rayne - but in my opinion, this is her best book to date! I found it so engrossing, turning each page with trepidation as the story unfolds! Totally lost in the tale.

As I got towards the end - I just didn't want to finish the book - and that is what I consider to be an excellent read, when you just don't want to get to the end!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but predictable, 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Ghost Song (Paperback)
This is the second book by Sarah Rayne that I've read and I'm already beginning to notice some strong themes in her writing - the main protagonists fancying each other, the telenovela-like killer who murders everyone they meet, the slightly awkward and melodramatic descriptions of emotions and, somewhat annoyingly, the overuse of the word "indeed". I enjoyed this book but found it quite predictable in that the last 100 or so pages were just a long version of what was already made obvious before. My favourite parts were those about Shona's childhood since they were quite creepy and I liked that Shona was a very over-the-top character. On the other hand, the scene in the attic was quite absurd and laughable. Overall, it was a good relaxing read, but I would have enjoyed more drama and less romance.

Ghost Song
Ghost Song by Sarah Rayne (Paperback - 6 July 2009)