on 11 March 2010
Looks like I am in a minority on this book! The content may or may not be useful - I simple could not read it because of it' s in-you-face, halleluyah-style tone and religious references. I am not anti-Bible but I felt the unquestioning belief in the word of The Good Book makes this a book targeted at devout Christians who just need to have a little bit more faith. Consider other books.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 November 2006
I have had this book for 6 months and still can't put it down. For the first time ever I think I understand the importance of self confidence and a "can do" attitude. It is so easy to read and you don't have to be an expert to understand what is being said. I only gave it 4 stars because some of the 'miracle' stories are a bit hard to swallow. Other than that this book has changed my perspective on life and the way I think. Now whenever I say something negative I turn it into a postive. Even if you are happy in your life read this book and you could reach even higher heights!
on 15 March 2009
I found the other reviews v.helpful deciding to get this book, what everyone else has said is completely right & I'm really glad I bought it, having read other hypnotherapy, law of attraction, cosmic ordeing type of books, this one helped me see how my mind works from a new angle & increased my understanding about how to communicate & work with my sub-conscious & how it operates.
I hadn't heard of the author before, but was impressed enough with this book to want to read other titles of his in the near future.
on 14 May 1998
This book is a blooming miracle. If there are things in your life you feel need changing, and you can read, you need this book. Period. It can be especially effective in having harmonious human relationships, even if such problems aren't your fault. (I intend to buy SEVERAL copies for friends.)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
God bless Joseph Murphy's soul into infinity. I would give this book 10 stars if that were
possible. I first read it years ago and it set me off on an incredible journey of self-discovery
and self-improvement. It is immensely therapeutic in cleaning cobwebs from the mind. I have
reread it twice since and also read about 5 other books by Murphy. I would recommend this as
the very best title in the entire field of self-improvement. A similar author whose work has also
helped me, is Frederick Bailes. Then move on to Louise L Hay, John Price, Stuart Wilde.
on 19 November 2001
A healer recommended this book to me. I was in the depths of depression when I began to read it. I began to feel its power almost immediately. My mood was difficult to to change at first, but as I continued to read I began to feel better. I wanted to believe what was written, and at first was not sure of its truthfullness. I remember asking another healer if the book really were true, if one is truely able to impress his subconscious mind with his heart's desires, and have those desires be manifested. He told me, "Yes!" So I have gone forth on faith, and truely my heart's desires are beginning to be manifested. I am a changed person! My husband keeps telling me, "You really have changed!" My husband is now reading the book!
The book uses the term, "Universal Mind" sometimes to refer to God. AT first this bothered me. But now I see nothing wrong using this term when referring to God. In fact I found nothing in this book that contradicts anything that is written in the Holy Scriptures.
I am so grateful for the changes that has come into my life and into the lives of my family as a result of my having read this book and applying its teachings in my life. I highly recommend this book to all who are seeking to be truely happy.
on 4 January 2009
I bought this book based on the excellent reviews it had. I've previously read lots of the 'cosmic ordering' type stuff, and have to say - this was far more powerful for me. The author uses accessible language to get his simple message across - what we think, we become. Though the same message has been offered by all of the world's spiritual teachers, ancient and modern (more often than not however, this message has been corrupted by humankind) - the real value of this work is the regular case histories discussed - genuine examples of everyday people using the power of their mind to achieve sometimes 'miraculous' results. Included here is the well documented case of a 19th Century surgeon who carried out some FOUR HUNDRED major operations, administering NO ANESTHETIC to his patients. A form of hypnosis was used, and none of his patients described feeling ANY pain. No patients died during surgery - and the post op mortality rate was extremely low. Cases such as this I found amazingly powerful and inspiring.

Some reviewers have mentioned the biblical undercurrent of the book... in truth, the author touches more upon the true, spiritual message of the man known as Jesus Christ - that the power of the Divine is in all of us. This wasn't a problem at all for me, even though I do have big issues with the formal religious/political structure called 'Christianity'.

I have just begun using the techniques given in this book, and already can testify to the power of the process!

All in all, this book is highly recommended to any who seek to further their well-being, creative potential and wider spiritual understanding... as well as to any who doubt the power that operates through them!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 February 2006
This is truly an inspiring book. This fantastic book written by Joseph Murphy Ph D.,D D. is one of the best books I have ever read regarding the magic power of the human mind. This man, born in the 19th century was very ahead of his time. He explains how to harness the potential of the subconscious mind and to make it work for you in a very positive way, in order to create a destiny of your choosing. The book is simply written and is not bogged down by lengthy explanations. If you feel that you need to improve your life, then I throughly recommend you give it a go. It certainly worked for me! from Meryl Heasman (songwriter) CATFLAP MUSIC.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Having received bunch of emails from people who have read this book, but still had difficulty applying the principles in this, I felt compelled to share few ideas.

First, the principles in this book are correct and they work if you apply them. The book is about using the power of your subconscious mind. As I read over some previous reviews here, I noticed that some people stumbled upon the language and pointed out that one should read "As A Man Thinketh" (yes, it is a good book to read), and made a reference to "as you think in your HEART" - not mind. Another name for the SUBCONSCIOUS is HEART of the MIND, because SUBCONSCIOUS MIND is the REALM OF EMOTIONS.

Some people also erroneously think that the subconscius mind is in one's head, it isn't. It is not even confined to your physical body, but permeates it. Your physical body is IN your MIND. Another way to describe the subconscious may be to refer to it as your "energy field" (that may be somewhat more modern "language"). Do not get stuck to words and labels, though. They are merely useful to help describe things - they are not the experience itself.

To use self-hypnosis successfully, to use the power of your mind successfully, it is not enough to just repeat the words mechanically (although, with a lot of repetition, they too will be impressed upon your subconscious mind), but you must also use your feelings - EXPERIENCING the outcome you desire AS IF it were REAL for you now - subjectively.

The term subconscious mind is used to refer to your own individual storehouse of knowledge and memories. The term "superconscious", or "universal mind", "God", and sometimes in hypnosis the term "unconscious" are used to refer to the infinite storehouse of knowledge, which you access through your subconscious mind.

There is ONLY ONE Mind, but for the convenience we have divided it linguistically into three minds, according to its functions - conscious, subconscious and superconscious. You can imagine that there is one door standing between your conscious and subconscious mind and another between your subconscious and superconscious. You access both your subconscious and superconscious by getting the critical faculty of your conscious mind out of the way and the easiest way to do this is by fully engaging your imagination and your emotions.

Because you access your subconscious and superconscious mind in the same way, people sometimes just use the term "subconscious" to refer to both functions. Instead of using the world superconscious, Murphy sometimes uses he word "God" - which I like, but some people feel very uncomfortable with due to their religious upbringing or lack of understanding and direct experience (A Course in Miracles is one books that may help in that respect).

Your conscious mind is that part of your mind that judges things and contemplates whether you can or cannot do something. It compares things and when you attempt to use your conscius mind and work on some goal, it may pop up with all the reasons why something may not be possible for you to do. Your subconscious mind goes for DIRECT EXPERIENCE. It doesn't judge whether something is possible or impossible, good or bad - it merely ACCEPTS as true and real whatever you EXPERIENCE as REAL subjectively.

When you pick a goal to work on with your subconscious, make sure that it is something that is BELIEVABLE to you. Whatever ideas you desire to impress upon your subconscious mind will work in conjunction with that which is already in your subconcious mind - so if the ideas and beliefs which are currently in your subconscious are in conflict with your desired goal, it will take you a long time to experience the desired results. If you begin with things you are willing to accept as possible for you, you'll get much faster results and you'll also condition your mind for success and to the world of many new wonderful possibilities.

Also, keep in mind, that you are in one way or another programming your subconscious mind with every thought you think. So, if you are using self-hypnosis to help you create greater abundance and you are working on your goal for half an hour a day, then you spend the other 23 hours contemplating how you don't have money to pay the bills, you're just undoing all that work you invested in self-hypnosis. Once you are done with your mind-programming, whenever you think of your goal, you'll make it happen much faster if you spend time expecting the positive outcome and giving thanks that what you desire is already yours, or at least that it is on its merry way to you.

This lovely book teaches you how to use the power of your mind in many different areas in your life. It also provides examples from the lives of others who have successfully used the power of their mind to overcome numerous obstacles and create what their hearts desired. This little stories may serve you as an inspiration until you have an assortment of your own success stories to tell - and if you genuinely apply the principles in this book, you'll have many great stories of your own.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 December 2000
I read the original version, first published in 1963, back in 1995. I was going through a particuarly bad time in my life for various reasons and there is no doubt in my mind that this book changed my life for ever through changing the way I thought and still has and always will help me through life's difficult journey. We and our minds are amazing, more people need to know jsut how in control 'we' really are. Not only did it help me understand myself and my mind but it helped make sense of religion - god is our sub conscious mind! Why oh why is this stuff not taught at school? Joseph - what an amazing guy.