5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Kiss Them Goodbye - my wifes review
Published on 5 Nov. 2005 by S. Walkden

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I got this book as a fan of the TV series, wanting to know more about Allison's experiences as a medium and as a psychic criminal profiler and was disappointed. The book seems mainly to be a guide on how to be a good medium, like a medium self help manual.

Published on 9 Sept. 2007 by Clare

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 9 Sept. 2007

Obviously for someone like me who doesn't have the psychic gift or children in whom it might develop, it just didn't give what it promised in the write up.

I was looking forward to 'Allison shares fascinating stories of her encounters with people who have passed away and her adventures as a criminal profiler' and found actual stories and detail sadly lacking.

A real shame, I remain a fan of Allison and of the TV series, but would not recommend this book if you are wanting more of what the series offers.

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected a little more., 9 Oct. 2006
having watched the excellent series Medium, with patricia Arquette, opon which Allison's life is based, I expected the book to be somewhat on the same lines, but unfortunately, the book is a bit general and doesnt touch on the magic of the tv programme. Now, I am aware that tv will, and does sensationalise everything, I did expect the accounts in the book to have more detail and more meaning to them. Yet Allison talks quite bluntly about her gift and continues to protest about being a regular woman who wants a happy life marriage and kids etc (which is absolutely correct) but, I bought the book for more insight into her gift and it doesnt always give that. I dont want graphic details or kleenex moments, but to limit her accounts of communication with the deceased to 1 page is disappointing. The book left me wanting more, but not in a good way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Kiss Them Goodbye - my wifes review, 5 Nov. 2005
My husband bought this book as a gift for me and I really enjoyed reading about Allison DuBois since I have also been following the TV programme 'The Medium' based on Allisons life. Without giving too much away in my review - this book is excellent for anyone who is learning about their own 'gift' or who has children with the 'gift' - plus Allison gives an insight into her own life as a medium - doing what she was born to do - helping people understand that life continues after physical death.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting and Reassuring, 10 Jan. 2007
Angela Mitchell "angiemitch" (scotland) - See all my reviews
what can I say about this book except it is absolutely superb. If you are mourning the death of a loved one this book will give you reassurance that the dead are still with us and happy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read about a Fascinating Career as a Medium, 9 Sept. 2008
Sile (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I admit to being a fan of the television show "Medium" and, one night, whilst surfing the internet, I stumbled across Allison DuBois's website. I've always held a fascination about those psychics/mediums who work with police (and other governmental) departments and it was interesting to read more about the woman who inspired the television show I enjoyed. I was excited to see that Allison had written books about her experiences, so I acquired one through a book swapping site.

I started reading this book last Friday on my way to work and, by the end of my shift, I had finished it. Its an easy read this book, with large font and written at a level so a primary school child could understand. Its not a work of great literature and its obvious Allison (and Joe) have written the text themselves, but I think that adds to the book's appeal. I have seen where some readers have complained about the dryness of book, but Allison herself admits to distancing herself emotionally from her clients and their predicaments, as a professional necessity, so I was comfortable with this aspect of her style.

I also read complaints from reviewers, who were big fans of the television shows, about there not being enough about those cases which were the inspiration for various episodes. This seemed odd to me. Knowing that Allison works in the legal field, I can see the problems associated with giving details of the "real life" cases in which she has participated. Anyone whose case she came into contact with might find grounds for appeal and, given the nature of the cases on which Allison works, it would be foolish for her to divulge this information. In fact, I think she mentions this in the book. Also, one has to consider the privacy of the victim's families in these cases: giving out details in a book (from which profits will be made - let's face reality here) would be in poor taste, in my opinion. I think Allison holds herself to a much higher ethical and moral standard myself. Certainly, she gives this impression in the book.

Again, some found this book preachy, I found it comforting. Only in those instances where she had been granted permission by the client did Allison provide details of her work. I liked her approach to each client; taking into account what they might need to know and what might benefit them, or the case, rather than just blurting out details that might be painful to hear and added nothing to an investigation. In many instances, Allison did provide comfort merely by the choice of the information she divulged.

The book is packed with examples of her work, despite what you might read from other reviewers. Allison also provides hints and tips for guiding those children who might show signs of mediumship, tailored to suit both those who want to develop their skills and those who prefer otherwise. The book was a little dull, sticking to the facts, but I have come to expect that from writers from the legal fields who need to stick to the facts and so I still enjoyed this book.

I found it fascinating and will endeavour to read Allison DuBois's other books, "We Are Their Heaven: Why the Dead Never Leave Us" and "Secrets of the Monarch: What the Dead Can Teach Us about Living a Better Life". I hope to find them just as honest and informative.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly underwhelming, 18 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Don't Kiss Them Goodbye (Paperback)
Considering the subject material and the author's experiences, talents and apparent credibility in this field I found this book surprisingly unengaging. She has clearly tried to strip away all mystery and 'science' and present something that is emminently readable and accessible. However, for me, the effect has only been to make the book rather lightweight.

It is not awful by any means and contains good elements but I was rather underwhelmed by the experience of reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting and comforting read, 15 Nov. 2007
I really enjoyed this book and found it a great comfort to read that our loved ones and our pets continue living after their phsyical death and Allison gives us plenty of examples of this.

I believe most of us have psychic abilities which we chose to ignore and, reading this book, I recognised times in my own life when there has been psychic intervention.

I have only given it 4 stars because, like some of the other reviewers, I felt at times I wanted more depth and insight but I guess there are always going to be more questions than answers.

Having said that, I think this is a good read for those who are interested in mediums and it will bring comfort for the bereaved. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but a guide book, 22 May 2011
M. L. Morgan "Christmasfairyexpress" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Thankfully I purchased this second hand and not at full price. I was interested in this book as I am a fan of the show, Medium. However, this book is not the story of Alisson, it is a guide book on how to guide a 'gifted' child. So beware if it is a book of her life and the interesting cases she has worked on you are looking for...despite the write up this is NOT it. A disappointing waste of my time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a great Book!, 15 Dec. 2009
This is a great great book, very well written in the sense that it makes you get into the author's life and understand it from within. Plus, if you're someone or know someone who has similar experiences of near-death or dealing with death, it is such a great great help. I highly recommend.
Sincerely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 29 Mar. 2014
It wasn't quite what I expected, but was interesting nonetheless. Full of helpful insights and interesting stories, it was good to read a little about the lady who inspired one of my all time favourite TV shows. :-)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Don't Kiss Them Goodbye
Don't Kiss Them Goodbye by Allison DuBois (Paperback - 17 July 2006)