5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifyingly addictive
Having watched the original film and the remake that came out this year, I had to get my hands on a copy of this book. Not only had the films wetted my appetite to know more about the events in Amityville, but I wanted to know the real story - and boy am I glad that I went through the trouble to track this book down. Right from the very first page, Anson throws the reader...
Published on 29 Nov. 2005 by loudloony

2.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, poorly written.
Published on 3 May 2012 by Maddy

5.0 out of 5 stars The Amityville Horry, 22 Jan. 2006
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is incredibly gripping. You wont want to put it down. It takes you into an intirely different world. I recommend it to everybody looking for a really good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting if nothing else, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Mass Market Paperback)
Interesting read, but I was expecting more I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amityville Horror, 24 Jan. 2006
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Mass Market Paperback)
The most gripping book that I've ever read! I would recomend it to everybody, its absolutely amazing, you wont want to put it down once you've started. Absolutely terrifying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very scary., 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Mass Market Paperback)
Scared the CRAP out of me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 26 Dec. 2014
A fine collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Sept. 2014
Excellent !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 'Horror' book I have ever read!!!, 19 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Mass Market Paperback)
I first read this book about 10 years ago as a teenager & loved it! When the film was remade last year, I dragged my fiance to the cinema as quickly as possible to see it. As soon as the book was republished, I bought a copy & read it in one session. It didnt disappoint & was just as good (if not better) as I remembered. I have to admit that when I found out that the story was a hoax, I was bitterly diasappointed as the way the story is written is so believable. A must read for all horror fans!!! Brilliant!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, poorly written., 3 May 2012
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Mass Market Paperback)
I was excited about receiving this book, expecting that it would live up to the standards set by the many films and reports of the well known story. Unfortunately it did not meet my expectations, and instead felt like it was written in a rush by a GCSE student. The book contained many annoyances such as exclamations in the narrative, which for me really let it down and ruined any suspense previously built.
The plot is good and well-known for a reason, but I would not recommend the book at that price. Instead I highly recommend anything by Stephen King, who is highly skilled at building tension and leaving a chill in your spine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 29 Dec. 2011
Aido "Aido" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Amityville Horror (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book years ago when I was about 13 and really enjoyed it then. 20 years later I picked it up again, hoping it would still have the same effect.

It didn't. There was absolutely no character development, it read like a very long, badly written news story. I hated it. I got about half way through and couldn't go on, it was too bad I stopped reading it.

I love horror novels and horror movies, especially when it comes to hauntings and that kind of thing. I don't care if it's a hoax or not, a good horror story is scary regardless of whether it's true or not. This was not told well at all. What a let down. I'm tempted to give 2 stars, just for the sake of nostalgia, but I won't. 1 star it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Dec. 2014
Super book

The Amityville Horror
The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson (Mass Market Paperback - 18 Mar. 2006)