5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully-observed social comedy

3.0 out of 5 stars Holiday fodder
Published 11 months ago by SazS

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully-observed social comedy, 1 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Ex-wife's Survival Guide (Paperback)
This sharply-observed novel is gently but wickedly insightful about middle-aged women and village life - not to mention a couple of husbands and a real monster of a dog. The pace is great and it made me laugh aloud several times, something books rarely make me do. But it also has very poignant moments, so gives the readers' emotions a good run for their money. I liked the quirky touches of the chapter headings and occasional lists that substantiate the choice of title. Now I can't wait for this talented first-time author's next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun lightweight read, 9 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Ex-wife's Survival Guide (Paperback)
I have seen this author's books around but this was the first I had read. It was witty and well written. A good light,girly read for the beach. Think Katie Fforde / Jill Mansell. I will definitely try more by Debbie Holt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully-observed social comedy, 29 Jan 2006
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars SO funny, 23 Mar 2013
Great book, loved it. Finished in a few days, but made my daily total 3 hour commute pass in what seemed like minutes!
So many times I was laughing out loud to myself. I also enjoyed Annie Mays Black Book but this was even better. Characters are really comical. Shame its on my kindle as I wanted to give my mum and sister to read straight after!

3.0 out of 5 stars Holiday fodder, 26 April 2013
I downloaded this whilst on hols, having just finished another Debby Holt. That one had a jaw drop moment which made up for the slow start. This one didn't. Debbie Holt's writing style is really easy. Character development is great and you basically live alongside the characters for the duration of the novel, which is pleasant enough. Endings are a disappointment; this one especially is very rushed. I'm a divorce lawyer so this title appealed but it doesn't really capture the angst of the ex-wife. It's okay and I never felt tempted not to finish but it's not really memorable. I preferred the 'black book' one and probably wouldn't buy a third from this author.

ARRAY(0xa3440930)

The Ex-wife's Survival Guide
The Ex-wife's Survival Guide by Debby Holt (Paperback - 6 Feb 2006)
6.99