4.0 out of 5 stars The Golfers Mind - short & sweet !!
Published on 6 Feb 2009 by Paul Meehan

3.0 out of 5 stars So many spelling mistakes ruined it
As expected with a Bob Rotella book, the content is easily understood and completely relevant. The lessons to be learned and put into practice will serve me well on and off the course.

On the down side.... I have never read a book or novel so littered with spelling mistakes. The publisher forgot to proof read this before sending it for distribution through...
Published 7 months ago by Stuart Birrell

4.0 out of 5 stars The Golfers Mind - short & sweet !!, 6 Feb 2009
Paul Meehan (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Golfer's Mind (Paperback)
Bought both this book and Your 15th Club at the same time, have to say this is the better of the two, being a voulme consisting of short, easy to read chapters on topics that will have a real relevance to you and how you approach various aspects of your golf game. Each chapter has a quick top ten messages at the end, which are easy to refer back to time and time again, particularly if you want to focus on specific topics. Since I purchased I have referred back to certain chapters again and again - just waiting for some good weather now to get out on the golf course and put some of this positive mental attitude into practice !!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 12 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Golfer's Mind (Paperback)
I would consider myself as a decent golfer having played for about 15 years. I read this book on holiday, twice through, and was itching to get onto the course to put into practice what I'd read. On returning from holiday I then played at my home course where I have always struggled to break 80. On the front nine I shot a +3 39. I could have thought about what my back nine score could be, but one of Dr. Rotella's rules is to stay in the present and not to add up your score until the end of the 18 holes. I then shot a -1 36 on the back nine for a +2 75. This is my best ever round of golf.

Is it a coincidence that I read the book and then played the best round of my life? I think not. The concepts and ideas in the book are quite simple, but they are very effective. Of course reading this book will not cure a dodgy swing any more than reading a book on playing the guitar will turn you into Jimi Hendrix. I'm sure that if you read this book and put into practice what he talks about then you will get better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Limit the mistakes, 1 Sep 2010
Chris L (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Golfer's Mind (Paperback)
As with all Bob Rotella books this works extremely well. To be honest this book could be used pretty much for any sport as it is predominantly about mindset as opposed to technique. In this is succeeds on many levels and is worth just 'dipping' into a chapter at a time and coming back to from time to time to refresh your memory. For me it allowed me to limit silly mistakes on the course and, as importantly, when they do happen to ensure that they don't ruin a round/medal. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I lost five shots in six months!, 15 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Golfer's Mind (Hardcover)
For anyone in with a handicap in the low teens, this book is a must! I studied Sports Psychology at Univeristy and this book brings everything to bear in 240 simple, easy to read pages that took me four years to learn. Focus only on the shot at hand, concentrate on the target, whether it be 250 yards away or two feet and once you have hit your shot, move on. Who knows what will happen to the ball once it leaves the club face? At the end of it, all that matters is that you have controlled the one element that is within your control - namely the attention to the shot prior to playing it. As "an imperfect game", once you complete the swing, what happens to the ball is often in the lap of the gods.
Golf no longer upsets me and I now enjoy a bad round (almost) as much as a good one. I spend perhaps 45 seconds chanelling my attention for each shot and once I have hit it, I am back in the social world, chatting and joking with my playing partners.
Last year after reading Dr Bob my formal handicap fell one shot. In truth, my playing handicap was probably four shots worse than my formal handicap so morally, I believe I lost five shots between April and September! This year I am looking for even more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant off the course instruction, 28 Oct 2009
J. Harwood (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Golfer's Mind (Paperback)
Having suffered the usual frustrations of playing golf i.e badly placed bunkers that grab my ball or green's that have a mind of their own, I have to wrestle with my emotions, as do many others.
I bought this book in the hope of finding some helpful tips. The mental game of golf is vital and I have never made sense of why I sometimes play well and sometimes very poorly. This book makes it very clear in a very readable form what is probably going on between my ears. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found each section had something of value in it. Each chapter ends with a brief resume' of the key points as a reminder. I believe that any golfer can take something from this little book and can improve their attitude to the game and probably reduce their handicap as well as enhance their enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every golfer should read this book, 4 Feb 2010
Mr. Terry C. Jenkins "golfnut" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Golfer's Mind (Paperback)
No matter how hard you practice your swing, and no matter how good you are on the driving range, it doesn't do you any good unless you can take your best game onto the course. To do that, you must have the right mental attitude.
This book tells you exactly how to play your best golf where it matters most - on the course, under pressure.
A definite must-read for all serious golfers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner, 21 July 2009
This review is from: The Golfer's Mind (Paperback)
This book will be helpful to every golfer who wants to improve. It will tell you little that you don't already know, but it concentrates the mind wonderfully. It is easy to dismiss sections of it, thinking,'well I know that,' but you should buy into the whole book and be prepared to commit to a different way of thinking about your golf. It is an easy read, and it is helpful even to read a few pages at a time. Strongly recommended, except for anyone who might be due to play me in a match.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good friend in troubled times., 16 April 2010
K. Gilchrist - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Golfer's Mind (Paperback)
Had recently found myself not enjoying my golf so thought I'd have a look at this book. Can honestly say it has really helped. Some bits are difficult to understand but most of it makes a lot of sense. Have got a couple of Rotella's other books but wished I'd bought this one first as it brings them all together. Just buy this one would be my advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fix Your Head........ FAST!, 6 Sep 2009
B. Redshaw "golfinstar" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Golfer's Mind (Paperback)
I'm a pretty good golfer. Single figures (give or take a couple of temporary 'slips' along the way) for 35 years. I also pride myself on being quite intelligent. On being capable of analysing and fixing problems. On being able to see the wood through the trees.

Despite that formidable armoury to help me fix any golfing problem, this year my putting degenerated to such an extent I was headed back to double figures. July's Monthly Medal resulted in 7 x 3-putts and a 4-putt!!!

I booked a couple of lessons. Apparently I already had "one of the best putting strokes in the Club" and with a couple of minor tweaks and some practice drills I'd be fine..... NO SUCH LUCK!! I still couldn't BUY a putt when it mattered. Eventually the Pro tapped me on the head and told me all my woes lay in the legendary gap between my ears.

Then a golfing buddy told me of Doctor Bob's books and recommended "The Golfer's Mind".

Before I'd got half way through the book, it was clear to me that the Pro was right. I was mentally incapable of putting well.
(I wasn't prepared to perform well in general play, either!!)

Now, just a few short weeks after finishing the book I'm putting like a Demon. I'm looking forward to being challenged and tested to the limit on the putting green because I AM A GOOD PUTTER and I can't wait to get the next chance to prove it!! I'm also hitting some of the best drives of my life, by the way.

Buy this book. Read this book. Re-read this book occasionally........ You'll be amazed. You WILL become a better player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderland - the Golfer's MInd, 17 Nov 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Golfer's Mind (Paperback)
I first read a Dr Bob Rotella book many years ago, "Golf is Not A Game of Perfect", and made the mistake of mentioning it in a conversation; it has been borrowed many times since then and, indeed, it is still on loan such is its popularity.

It concentrates, like this book, on an aspect of the game that is not considered sufficiently by enough golfers - the mind. Ben Crenshaw once quipped that he was five inches away from a great game - the distance between his ears. Bob Rotella has understood this for a long time and used his books to draw it to golfers' attention.

It is full of sensible, practical suggestions and ideas which, if applied, will reduce handicaps and make golf a more enjoyable endeavour. "Golf is simple game but the people who play it make its complicated!" said Arnold Palmer.

Bob Rotella's books help to simplify it again for all golfers with an interest in playing better.

The Golfer's Mind
The Golfer's Mind by Bob Rotella (Paperback - 2 April 2007)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available