5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly my all time favourite
I've got a shelf literally full of books on dog behaviour and this has got to be one of my all time favourites. One that I often go back to time and again.
How To Speak Dog was one of the first books on dog behaviour that I purchased and was the one that really helped me to understand my dogs in a way that I hadn't been able to previously.
A mix of scientific...
Published on 12 Oct 2007 by M. Barfoot

1.0 out of 5 stars not relevant, deeply disappointing
If , like myself, you are a dog owner wanting to learn about dog behaviour- do not waste money on this book. It is full of promisingly titled chapters that fail to deliver. There is far too much detail about any and every other species that communicates within it's species; that any one who watches discovery already knows. Most chaapters wander through vagueness about...
Published on 2 Jan 2004 by Lesley Watson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly my all time favourite, 12 Oct 2007
M. Barfoot (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Speak Dog (Paperback)
A mix of scientific study (some carried out by Coren himself) and stories of dogs that he has dealt with, along with useful diagrams and even a dog dictionary of vocal and visual signals make this an extremely useful and interesting read.
If you have a dog and want to learn more, or are thinking of getting a dog then this book (or any of Coren's books on dogs) should be on your read list.

5.0 out of 5 stars great reading for dog lovers, 22 Mar 2003
By A Customer
Don't expect a 'manual'; this is more like a 'reader' on interpreting dog language: this book is much more about providing insight in why your dog behaves the way he/she does and offers continuous text. The author tells you stories from his dog training practice which he then analyses. The man has so much experience with dogs and is very open minded. He also takes a clear stand on some myths about dog training, and does away with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps you to understand your dog better, 29 May 2003
Lourenco Ferreira (Odivelas, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This book for me was both fun to read; laughter, and opened my eyes to alot of things my dogs do! It has helped me learn the why of many behavior patterns and gives you help in solving them by your self! Personally I think everyone should read this book who has a dog, to make the connection stronger between the two.. dog and owner!
In my eyes, this book was just what I needed to get a closer an even closer bond with my dogs!
Happy reading!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best dog book, 19 Oct 2005
This review is from: How To Speak Dog (Paperback)
I've read more dog books than you could throw a stick at, and this is one of the rare ones I'd ever pick up again.

Yes it rambles, yes it talks about other species a bit, but all serve to get the general message across to whatever the chapter is about.

There are genuinely useful tips lurking in the pages, and the quick reference pages are wonderful.

It's also laugh out loud funny, and even for non dog owners, an enjoyable good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wooftastic, 5 Oct 2006
This review is from: How To Speak Dog (Paperback)
I've been around dogs most of my life and so had some understanding what their various snarls, barks and yelps mean. This book wisley puts dog communications into the context of animal thought making it clear that dogs communciate in different ways because they think in different ways. Most books on dogs, at least the ones I've read, leave you thinking "Yes that's obvious but why do they do that?" This explains why. As a result my relationship with my dog has improved vastly and I've bought the author's book on dog thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for dog lovers, 12 Jun 2001
By A Customer
Knowing roughly what your dog is trying to tell you with his grunt, growls and groans couldn't be easier with this book to hand. An extremely informative and pleasurable read. A few easy to follow diagrams, showing dogs in different poses with a simple explanation as to their meaning. Very good chapters about owning two dogs - especially if you are thinking about introducing another dog with an existing dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked from the begining to the end!, 3 Dec 2010
Julia Pitkin (Shropshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Speak Dog (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down. I have two Great Danes- big dogs! I can confidently take them on walks, knowing when to distract and divert their energy away from situations that could be a problem just by reading their body language. More importantly reading other dogs and diverting mine away from them is essential. I am in control and they know it. An easy book to read. Julia Pitkin

5.0 out of 5 stars A canine classic, 1 July 2009
This review is from: How To Speak Dog (Paperback)
Professor Coren's dog books are well known in their field and this one is probably the best. It is quite witty and well written, by an expert in dog behaviour. It should be read by all novice dog owners, to keep them out of Dog Borstal.

4.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, 11 Mar 2006
This review is from: How To Speak Dog (Paperback)
Doing a diploma in Canine Behavioural Management. Used the book for research purposes and found it extremely helpful. Particularly liked the glossary at the back.

5.0 out of 5 stars how to speak dog, 28 Jan 2010
This review is from: How To Speak Dog (Paperback)
I loved this book. A great read and referance book too. It was really interesting

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

How To Speak Dog
How To Speak Dog by Stanley Coren (Paperback - 21 Mar 2005)