5.0 out of 5 stars It will really get you thinking
Published on 21 Nov 2010 by Novel Teen

3.0 out of 5 stars Just wasn't what I expected.
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars It will really get you thinking, 21 Nov 2010
In 2004, Kevin Malarkey and his six-year-old son, Alex, were in a horrible accident. No one thought Alex would live. But two months later he woke up with an amazing story to share. He talks about events that took place at the scene of the accident and at the hospital--he was unconscious in both places. He says Jesus was with him, or one if his angels, telling him that everything would be okay.

This is an amazing story. I wanted to read it because it was real. I read a lot of fiction, but stories like these excite me. They validate my faith, which is always the coolest thing. My favorite parts of the book were Alex's parts. The book is mostly written from Dad's point of view. He explains what happened. The accident, going to the hospital, waiting, talking with his wife, the doctors, pastors, and friends. But Alex's words are interspersed, telling us where he was and what he was doing while everyone else was waiting. It's fascinating. I also enjoyed seeing the stories of other people--people who felt called to pray for Alex and later shared their story with his parents. God works in amazing ways. Sometimes I think we get so caught up in life, we think we know how God works. I don't think we have a clue just how much God is at work in ways we'll never see until Heaven.

Ever since I read Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness, I was changed. I believe he's on to something the way he depicts angles and demons in his novel. But that's just a story. Frank made it up. But Alex's life is real. He talked with these angels, and he didn't like it when the bad ones came around. Looking to be inspired? Read this story. It will really get you thinking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just wasn't what I expected., 5 Feb 2013
Amazon Customer (Wiltshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven: A Remarkable Account of Miracles, Angels, and Life Beyond This World (Paperback)
I have wanted to read this book for a while now, so I took a 'leap of faith' last night and jumped right in. I have an affinity with the afterlife, it's something that has always interested me immensely and the synopsis of 'The Boy who came back from Heaven' really peaked my interest. However, I wasn't quite prepared for the God card to be played so prominently. That probably sounds totally off-kilter and a little hypocritical considering the subject matter, but as this story progresses you understand that the Malarkey family are devoted Christian's, with Christianity values playing a strong part in their children's upbringing.

Alex at only six was well rehearsed with the Christian bible. He knew about Angels, Heaven, Hell, the Devil and how Jesus died for our sins. He was taught that when we die, our spirits leave our bodies and we go to a higher plane, back to our creator - we go home to God.

That's all fine and well, and a beautiful notion but it made me doubt the true authenticity of the overall workings of this story. Could this story be an embellishment of a six-year-old child's overactive imagination?

I don't doubt that what happened with his recovery was a miracle, but I just felt, for me personally, the excessive religious references just made this read a little uncomfortable at times.

Whereas fully qualified Doctor's were giving their professional diagnosis of Alex' injuries, his family and close church family network were disputing those results and challenging every step when it came to his desired recovery. To have hundreds of people arrive at the hospital to pray for a helpless child is a heart-warming thought and proves that there are some truly caring and wonderful people in this world and I would be a cold-hearted wench if said that this didn't affect me. I cried reading this book. I got goosebumps and at times it did make me feel at peace, but as a reader I just didn't appreciate the all-consuming belief system being shoved down my throat at every given opportunity.

With that being said however, this book is based on a true story and regardless of how uncomfortable it made me feel at times, if anything it proves, with strong support and a little faith, life really is a beautiful thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The boy who came back from heaven, 2 Sep 2011
What a book! It is full of Jesus. One of Kevin and Alex Malarkey's big concerns in writing this true story was that people might admire Alex instead of the One we should truly be impressed with. Alex is certainly a special boy, but throughout the book both he and his dad point constantly to Jesus - to His glory and power and compassion.

I loved the layout of The boy who came back from heaven. Every chapter is headed with a Bible verse or quote relevant to that section. There are frequent inserted quotes from family members, medical staff and pastors which serve as powerful enhancements of the main narrative. This book is totally biblical and thoroughly glorifying to God. Alex's story causes the reader to want to know God more and more, and to live completely for Him with no holding back. Kevin and Alex are open and honest about what happened and about themselves as people. There is no self-aggrandisement, just a constant reminder that Jesus is the important One. Most of the chapters are written by Kevin, but some are written from Alex's point of view, and I must say that this style works very well.

I think one of the strengths of writing about six-year-old Alex's death and visit to Heaven is that the family are conservative Christians with no previous experience of the charismata. Following the fatal car accident which changed all of their lives so dramatically, and Alex's most of all, they had to come to terms with angelic visitations, real spiritual warfare, miracles and Alex's quietly persistent claim that he had been to Heaven and back.

When Kevin and Alex were involved in a terrible car accident on 14th November 2004, the impact threw Kevin fifty feet out of the car - yet he mysteriously escaped serious injury. Although Alex suffered internal decapitation (his head was completely parted from his spine), he was later able to tell his parents details about the accident scene that there is absolutely no way he could have known other than supernaturally. A Christian paramedic prayed over Alex and he was airlifted to a children's hospital. He was not expected to survive the first 72 hours, but faithful Christian friends began a non-stop prayer vigil. Not only did he survive, but the night before doctors planned a spinal fusion, God intervened - reconnecting Alex's spine with his skull. X-rays prove it. Through persistent prayer, Alex began his miraculous recovery.

I believe that Alex has been to Heaven and back. I believe that he can see the angels who care for him. All of his claims are backed up by the Bible. He has a spiritual maturity well beyond his tender years. Many adult Christians never attain the spiritual maturity that this young boy has. Only a powerful encounter with God would achieve it. Also, Alex's deep love and devotion to Jesus comes across loud and clear on every page. He is looking forward to going back to Heaven one day to stay. He has been there, he has tasted a tiny bit of its delights, and he knows something of being with the Lord in that wonderfully perfect Home where no sin is allowed to spoil it. Heaven and eternity are realities for him. For how many of us is this true, if we're being completely honest?

On a personal level, I read Alex and Kevin's story with swollen, sore eyes and a growing heap of tissues. Although Alex has been through so many experiences I can't even begin to imagine, I found I could identify in some ways from the severe illness I went through last year. And I can't help but love and adore the God who saved us both from the darkness - twice.

Although I reviewed The boy who came back from heaven for Tyndale House through NetGalley, I will most definitely be buying this book for myself.

Mandy Baker Johnson [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars the boy who came back from Heaven, 24 July 2011
A truly inspiring book, Father and Son both feeling they were responsible for causing the accident, but the help and prayers from the Church they attended was amazing, but God was in charge of this situation, the way the Son described his time with Jesus in Heaven, was beautiful, and though the family went through some really bad times, God brought them through this. well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book of hope and valuable lessons learnt from this, 19 May 2013
Sister M. Rebicsek "Deafdoggy" (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Absolutely LOVED this book - had it from the library and bought my own. Someone said it had a too strong a Christian slant; well I disagree, because faith and trust is core to the whole experience. Learnt we do not trust in God enough and this book has so many valuable things to help us meet all our own personal challenges in life. I read it exactly when I needed it most and it has given me peace and strength to face my own difficult battles (my life very challenging right now with serious health problems and discrimination and bullying at work). Thank you Kevin for listening to God and writing this book. My best friend cannot wait to read it now. I have told others about it and they are getting it too. One of the best near-death books I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story, 25 Mar 2014
Seen his family on TV. Very genuine account of how they all trusted God and how he met them. Wonderful

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 14 Dec 2013
This is great reading; anything that helps people to realize they have a never dying soul and that there is such a place as heaven is praise-worthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant with great insights, 19 Nov 2013
Even better than the Todd burpo book for depth. Though the boy is still disabled he has a wonderful experience to share which is so inspiring & comforting him. This book will help those who have lost someone & give them real hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars It brings back one's faith, 8 Oct 2013
This book was very good. If one has lost faith in God, then this book helps to bring back one's faith. It is very inspiring, encouraging, and aspirational. One aspires for the same belief in God. I recommend this book to everyone, regardless of one's faith in God. It would be inspirational and encouraging for all. A remarkable story of true courage!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and brave, 23 July 2013
A very interesting read. A brave boy with so much love in his heart. A great account of our next world !