5.0 out of 5 stars Review from an Agnostic (17 year old)
Published on 30 July 2010 by A Reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Good content, bad binding
I quite like the New Living Translation of the Bible. Overall it's probably the most readable translation I've come across (including the Message). It's not the best for in-depth studying - sometimes I find myself paranoidly reaching for another translation such as ESV to check what it "really said" - but it's easier to sit and read through than other translations...
Published on 8 Mar 2011 by M. Fearnley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from an Agnostic (17 year old), 30 July 2010
This review is from: Holy Bible: New Living Translation (Gift and Award Bible: New Living Translation-2) (Imitation Leather)
I am not a religious person and am an Agnostic, therefore I feel I can offer a impartial review. I am a 17 year old and bought this Bible due to my Religious Studies Course. I have not finished it yet and started with the New Testament, Matthews Gospel, of which I am half way through. One thing which strikes you about this Bible is that it is much clearer to understand and to grasp what the original writers who wrote it wanted to convey. I always found the New International Version too dry and lacking in clarity. I also felt that the NIV read like a translation and not as the original writers intended. The King James Version was, for me like reading a different language, and I feel it did not flow. The New Living Translation V2 is a fantastic translation which catches the thoughts of the writers and their underlining meaning. It is a joy to read and I feel does not become tedious like other translations. Furthermore, the presentation of the Bible was better than I expected. It is quite a large Bible with an introduction to Christianity at the beginning. Fantastic for people like me studying the Bible, and for believers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ease of use, 14 May 2009
Joanna Leigh - See all my reviews
The new living translation is much easier to understand

The print is difficult to see though because it is so small

I have since brought myself a NLT Study Bible with large print.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good content, bad binding, 8 Mar 2011
M. Fearnley - See all my reviews

Also, I think the formatting - which isn't often given much attention when comparing translations - is one of the most friendly. It presents many of the lists in the Bible, such as Joshua 12 or Numbers 2, in a very readable fashion, and it carefully draws the reader's attention to God's declaration of His name to Moses in Exodus 34, which is rare.

This particular Bible is set out in two columns per page, which probably saves space but isn't quite as friendly as one column. It does include the words of Jesus in red text though, which I like. The font size isn't too bad, but might be a bit small for some people.

Unfortunately, the cheapness of this Bible means some shortcuts were made that hinder its use as an everyday Bible. The book is bound in a way that makes it difficult to open fully and lay flat. In addition the text is printed quite close to the inner margins, and so it can be difficult to read the bits at the inner edges of the page. Finally, the plastic cover has a certain cheap feeling and barely imitates leather.

Because of this I would have to advise against buying this for yourself unless you're living on a shoestring, and I'd definitely advise against giving someone a Bible that you wouldn't be prepared to use yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars The NLT is the best translation so far., 4 Feb 2010
K. B. Betts - See all my reviews
Someone at my church loaned me his copy of the NLT because he was so impressed with it. I had always read the NIV, but after reading the NLT, I love everything about it. It is perfect to give to anyone who is new to the Bible and not only explains what the Bible is about, but has an introduction on 'How to know Jesus Personally'. I have been reading the Bible for years, but this translation really excites me. I now much prefer it to the NIV. This book is beautifully presented, with Jesus words highlighted in red and makes a great gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE WORD OF GOD, 11 April 2009
Mr. K. J. Stott "Stotty" (Cheltenham) - See all my reviews
What can you say about the Eternal and Everlasting Word of God? I liked this version of the Bible because at the back you can find answers to questions which may be bothering you. If you look up the word 'Grace', you will find several references in the Bible where the word Grace is mentioned; or if you want to find references to 'suffering', you'll find that also. It's also easy to read and I like the fact that everything Jesus said is in red to give more emphasis.

5.0 out of 5 stars very clear and understandable, 1 Aug 2010
This is a very plain English version, probably removed from the original Hebrew, but easy to understand and opens the communication waves which is all we need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living translation of the Bible, 21 Mar 2012
This book is very tightly bound making it very difficult to fully open the pageup and quite small print but is extremly good value nicely bound in an imitation leather cover and I for one am very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living Translation, Holy Bible, 20 July 2009
Jill Biddick (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent service, once more and very good value - I do wish I had checked on the print size and perhaps upgraded - but on the whole,very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely put together, 30 Aug 2013
I bought this as my son had been given one and I loved the simplicity of it. In certain areas the word of God is written in red thus ensuring the message gets across.
I wish the cover was a bit more robust as although it is currently fine you get the feeling if you were to carry it around a lot that it would soon get damaged. It would be great if a cover came with it.
If you want a bible that is easy to read gets to the facts then this is the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Among the best, 9 July 2014
Vinyamar777 "Still round the corner there may... (Hanging Heaton, Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A vast accuracy boost over the TLB. The version itself I grade for relative accuracy as 96%; NIV (100%); (96%); NABRE (88% excluding dated & academically dubious footnotes); EOB (45%); KJV (41%); NWT (29%); NLV (00%), and for easy read as 61% compared to NIV (42%); NLV (100%); NABRE (40%); EOB (38%); KJV (23%); NWT (13%). Overall an A grade.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Holy Bible: New Living Translation (Gift and Award Bible: New Living Translation-2) by Tyndale House Publishers (Imitation Leather - 6 Jan 2005)