5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars isn't enough. I was captivated!!!
Published on 6 May 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Action-Packed Novel About Israel's Struggle For Statehood
Published on 11 Mar. 2005 by Jana L. Perskie

3.0 out of 5 stars Action-Packed Novel About Israel's Struggle For Statehood, 11 Mar. 2005
"The Gates of Zion" begins with a brief prologue set in Qumran, 68 C.E.. Jerusalem has just fallen to the Romans. A Jewish scribe quickly and carefully copies the last passages of the book of the Prophet Isaiah. Then he wraps the scroll in linen, coats the linen with pitch, and prepares to bury it in a clay jar - along with all the other scrolls. He makes sure, at this hour of his death, that the words of God will be preserved for future generations. The Dead Sea Scrolls are about to be hidden.
Two millennia later, on November 29, 1947, the UN General Assembly, in its 128th plenary session, by a two-thirds vote (33 to 13 with Britain and nine others abstaining), passed Resolution 181 partitioning Palestine into two states, one Jewish and one Arab. The Arab national movement in Palestine, as well as all the Arab countries, angrily rejected partition. Almost immediately there was Arab violence against the Jews in Palestine.
Ellie Warne is an American photojournalist for LIFE Magazine, who unknowingly becomes the focus of danger when she takes pictures of ancient scrolls recently discovered by Bedouins. Ellie is staying with her uncle Howard, an archeologist, in Jerusalem. She finds new purpose when she decides to help the Hagganah prepare to defend the city of Jerusalem after the Partition.
Rachel Lubetkin is a beautiful Jewish Holocaust survivor. She left the concentration camps behind in Europe, along with a big part of her soul. On her arm she bears the tattooed legacy, "Nur Fur Offizere, "For Officers Only." The Nazis had used her as a prostitute. She is shunned by many of the refugees and called a traitor for not choosing death over forced prostitution.
Moshe Sacher is a brilliant archeological linguist at Hebrew University in Jerusalem. He is also an active Hagganah leader who smuggles European Jews, refugees from the camps, into Palestine. Moshe, a tall, slender, good looking young man, is in love with Ellie Warne.
David Meyer, a US Air Force war vet, is also in love with Ellie. He has come to Palestine for her, and also to help form the new State of Israel's air force. David, a reckless, carefree man, never realized the extent of his affection for Ellie until she left California. Now he wants her back, but she has another man on her mind, as well as her career and the commitment she made to build the newly formed state.
Nine year-old Yacov Lebowitz lives in the Old Jewish City of Jerusalem with his elderly grandfather, a Rabbi. Yacov was in Palestine with his grandfather when his parents and siblings were taken away by the Germans.
These characters and many more - Jew, Arab and British - hero and villain - come together to make this an action-packed historical novel. Ms. Brodie's narrative is obviously biased and simplistic. Her tale is based on the Jewish/Zionist point of view. While she exposes the cruelty, deception and politics of Arab terrorism, she never mentions the Palestinian Muslim's position. The author is Christian and her own religious beliefs come to the fore from time to time.
While I enjoyed parts of the plot, I think that the novel is written on a Young Adult level. I prefer historical fiction with more depth and objectivity. The characters are too simplistic for my taste. I read Leon Uris' "Exodus" when I was 13 years-old, and it appeals to me as much today as it did years ago. Mr. Uris tells a similar story with more historical facts and perspective. His characters are much more complex also. And frankly, I prefer an author's religious preferences to remain with the author. I didn't realize until after I purchased the novel that it is labeled "Christian Fiction." As I am not a Christian, I felt a bit uncomfortable at times.
I do recommend Bodie Thoene's "Gates of Zion" for those who enjoy Christian Fiction and are looking for an action novel depicting Israel's struggle for statehood.
JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars isn't enough. I was captivated!!!, 6 May 1999
By A Customer
Never have I come across a better author. Bodie Theone (tay-nee) is truly amazing. These books are full of drama. It's like the characters became my friends. When I finished the series, It felt as though I lost some good friends. I really don't know if I could be as entertained, enlightened and fulfilled by reading anything else after reading this series. Originally I was checking the series out one at a time from the library. But when I realized I'd finally found something I couldn't put down, I figured I better buy the whole series. I have never bought books before, because I've never found anything worthy of being read more than once. I was just so compelled and I want to share her writings with all my friends and family. She's spectacular. So is anything written by her husband Brock, who helps her co-write everything. It's almost like watching a movie, because there are so many plots intertwined. I was shocked to read the epilogue in RETURN TO ZION. You'll have to find out for yourself. Just don't start reading in the middle of the series. If I could never read another authors works but one it would be the Theone's. - Megan Villa

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it! I couldn't put it down., 24 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
This book caught my attention right from the beginning. I grew to love all the characters. Ellie is somebody I always wished I could be. She is smart, beautiful, and brave. Uncle Howard reminded me of one of my own uncles. I thought he was great. I cried with Rachel and felt her pain when the women looked down on her. I got mad when they called her names. I was very happily suprised when Yacov ended up being Rachel's youngest brother. I was glad that she did have some family left though. Moshe is the kind of man any woman would want as her husband. I was kind of annoyed at first by David, but by the end of the book, he turned out to be a great man.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read.Good for young readers, 20 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
When I started to read "The Gates Of Zion" I had the impresion that I was going to read a story about an astounding revelation or a stunning discovery in Qumran ( a new scroll, a new manuscript, an unknown Gospel, etc). I expected also to find a group of scholars involved in a heated argument about the authenticity and interpretation of some ancient scriptures. There is only a brief mention of Isaiah. I expected an academic comparison between Isaiah, Ezekiel, Hoseah or Daniel or any of the prophets of the Old Testament, or even a remarkable coincidence between these prophets applied to the times of the story. Instead, the story is quite simple, basically a love story with some thrills and action; although I still don't understand why Hassan and Gehrhardt wanted so much to kill Ellie. I expected more participation form Uncle Howard. The end was quite predictable. The story itself was good, fast paced, and not too "spiced", making this book understandable for young readers. If you were dissapointed by this book, and you were looking for the elements that I mentioned above, you should read the exciting novel "Gospel" by Wilton Barnhardt.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book - Bodie Thoene is incredible, 12 Aug. 1997
By A Customer
I've always enjoyed Christian fiction, particularly historical Christian fiction, but this book has me hooked on Bodie Thoene. She presents her characters in such a real way that I cried when I finished the series, because I wouldn't see the characters again.
Also, this book, and the series in general, has given me a very real appreciation for Israel's struggle for peace and recognition. It's taught me to value the freedom I have. Reading about those who will stand up for what they believe in, at any cost, and those who will stand up for others, has left me with the desire to do likewise.
If you like Bodie Thoene, or even if you have never read any of her books but enjoy historical fiction, give this book a try. I was so hooked I finished all five books in the Zion Chronicles and the three books in the Shiloh Legacy in six months, in spite of college studies!

3.0 out of 5 stars Christian historical fiction, a bit pulpy, 4 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
This series is a fairly "pulpy" but quite clean love story cum adventure story a la Indiana Jones. It is moral without being spiritually deep. (I have a problem that all the Jews in the story seem to believe in the Messiah-hood of Jesus, as do many of the Arabs, unless they are maniac terrorists.) It's historically interesting, but the series progresses maddeningly slowly. There are neat references in each book's prelude to scenes at the Fall of the Temple in about 70 AD which link to scenes in the 20th century story of the formation of Israel. Impossible adventure sequences abound. This series is, however, much better written than the "prequel" series written more recently by the same author. Overall, my reaction to the Zion Chronicles series is mixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I haven't finished yet!, 14 July 1997
By A Customer
So far, this is a wonderful book. Especially if you have read the Zion Covenent series. Unfortunately, everyone in my family has, and we just got the Zion Chronicles. Needless to say, there's been a little competition. If someone puts the book down and goes to the bathroom or to find something to eat, they come back and it's been stolen! Beware of family when reading a really good book. Those whom you love the dearest and the best can be downright mean when it comes to the next book in a series! I guess there's not much I can say about the book, seeing I haven't gotten a hold of it for very long, but the competition in my family can speak for itself. Buy this book! In fact, buy enough for everyone in your family, or you're in for trouble!

4.0 out of 5 stars Historically accurate fiction thriller of Israel's independa, 2 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
The characters of this most unusual series will live with you for a long time. Character development is superb, plot is excellent and there is much drama and suspense. Plenty of romance, but nothing nasty. Setting is in Israel before it became a nation. The struggles and victories of a people struggling for independance will live on with you for a long time. Wish Thoenes would write more sequels to this series. The Best in reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes awhile to get going, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Gates of Zion: Bk. 1 (Zion Chronicles) (Paperback)
Takes a while to get going. This is rather political; based in 1947, in Palestine around the time when Israel became a nation. Violent in places, and a bit biased, though mostly well researched – but overall a good story, which became much more interesting after the early chapters.

Three and a half stars, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the whole series, 22 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
I picked the first one up at my local library, and had to have more. If you like adventure, a little romance, and great historical fiction, this is it. It grabs your attention, immerses you in the characters, and lights a sympathy for the events. Get the whole series, they're great!

Gates of Zion: Bk. 1 (Zion Chronicles)
Gates of Zion: Bk. 1 (Zion Chronicles) by Bodie Theone (Paperback - May 2006)