on 14 July 2008
I moved over, asked him how his work was going, and, before parting, quietly said: "The bin's over there" (gesturing with my eyes to the bin). He smiled, walked over to the bin, and spat out his chewing gum.

That's what happened when I put Bill Rodger's specific guidance to common classroom problems into practice: it worked! In the past I used to take a more aggressive manner, sticking a foul-smelling bin under the nose of any child which chew in my class--this inevitably disrupted the flow of the lesson for the whole class as they protested at the unfairness.

This book is explicit in describing what to communicate (verbally and through body language) in managing a class, and breaks down the "firm but fair" approach into its core-components. It's easy to read, and the messages black-and-white. He adds real-life teaching stories which not only put his guidance into a classroom perspective, but make for amusing reading!

I wish I had read this book before my PGCE, rather than at the end.
on 8 January 2007
I work in quite a challenging school. During my first 2 years of training I really did question whether teaching was for me. I had bought similar books (getting buggers to behave, etc) but was not overly inspired. However, a friend had mentioned the author and claimed he was fantastic. I bought the book not really expecting much. However, each of his suggestions and explanations were so brilliant and easy that I couldn't wait to try them out. I'm in my 5th year of teaching and I still refer to the book. I have passed the book around my department and we all use the basic strategies. If you buy one book on teaching, get this one.
on 22 April 2007
Very practical advice that makes you think 'that happened to me' and gives you alternatives ways of looking at and dealing with those incredibly frustrating and, sometimes, upsetting moments in a classroom when behaviour is not what you would consider 'the norm' (or so we hope).
on 9 July 2009
Right, i read cowley, hated it and thought there was no point to behaviour management books. However, i've started reading this and applying it to the classroom is really starting to work.

I now work as supply, where your rep in school has to be as a tough guy to get the work done. However, applying some of Bill's techniques has worked brilliantly. As another reviewer said, doing the "the bin is over there" trick work's fantastically and referring to the classroom as "our room" instead of "my classroom" gives the kids the ownership they deserve.

If you are going to buy Cowley's "getting the buggers to behave" forget it, buy this instead and make a difference.
on 15 May 2008
I'm starting teaching soon, and the stuff I've learnt from this book has given what I think will be a great foundation. He backs up a lot of his points with real-life examples so you can immediately see what he's getting at. I would definately recommend this book.
on 12 July 2010
Writen in a very simple style, it's too easy to dismiss the information contained here. Most unfortunate situations are covered and when one occurs in real life, it feels as if you've already been through it once and have a fair idea of what to do (or what not to do!)
on 12 January 2011
The first term of my second year of teaching wasn't a great one. I had several new classes, and found myself getting frustrated by many things. I was particularly adamant that I needed to be 'respected', and often said this to the students when things weren't going my way.

Reading this book has answered a lot of questions, in particular the idea of 'secondary behaviours' that students often display to distract the teacher from the main issue in the first place. I like the fact that all of the examples given are true stories, and there are quite a few scenarios that EVERY teacher can relate to.

It is a practical book that focuses a lot on how your own behaviour can influence that of the class. Obviously there will always be extremely challenging students, but again the book offers sound advice on how to deal with these individuals.

'Classroom Behaviour' has made me really think about the way I teach, and now I am seeing small but noticeable improvements in my relationships with difficult classes. Well worth the money.
on 8 December 2009
If my experience is anything to go by, providers of teacher training are for some reason very reluctant to give advice on managing behaviour in the classroom. This book filled a big hole in my training and gave me the basic tools to get to work on the behaviour issues in my classes.

I wouldn't take it as an instant recipe for success- pupils are all individuals and what works for one will not work for another. This is, however, an excellent place to start thinking about how you will develop and refine your management style. Readable, knowing, and funny, this is definitely one to keep coming back to.
on 24 May 2010
Excellent real-life examples used, very readable and interesting. Much better than other books I have leafed through in the bookshops. Very clear and definitive advice given. Superb book.
on 25 December 2013
it's really helpful and it give you great hints which I have personally used in my classroom; I don't know what English students are like, I know what Spanish students are like, and some of the hints work, but I think they are more powerful in English e.g. Go back to your task, thanks. That "thanks" sounds stronger in English than in Spanish.

anyway, good effort