5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have reference for all social science researchers
Do you know your ontology from your epistemology? Can you tell the difference between essentialism and positivism? Do the words themselves make you want to pull the duvet up and go back to sleep? I too was like that...

Published on 1 Oct 2009 by Self-help junkie

I am an Open University student and I am half way through the course DD131 "An introduction to Social Sciences". I bought this book with the hope it could assist me through this course which aims to introduce and explore key issues and debates in Social Sciences.

Published on 15 Aug 2010 by Bruno Pires

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have reference for all social science researchers, 1 Oct 2009
Self-help junkie (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Social Science Jargon Buster: The Key Terms You Need to Know (Paperback)

I really love this book and it has been a constant reference whilst I've been grappling with a doctorate. For clear, succinct definitions of the most commonly (over?)-used words in research journals, this is an excellent, friendly resource. I love the way each section ends with a list of further recommended reading: I've used the suggestions several times and they have been very useful both as sources to improve my understanding and as references to add to my list!

Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference, 7 Feb 2009
A dictionary-style reference book useful for anyone studying social sciences. Key terms are defined in one sentence, and then followed by an longer explanation including examples; a section on any debates and controversies surrounding the term; practical application; related key figures and recommended reading for further information. Allows the reader to easily understand words such as identity, social darwinism and behaviourism and to apply them.

The only problem I had with the book was that I thought the cover was very woman-orientated and I can't imagine many men willingly picking up a book with such a feminine design!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not useful for who is studying and Introduction to Social Sciences, 15 Aug 2010
Bruno Pires (Luxembourg) - See all my reviews

I find it very frustrating that, so far, the book has been of no assistance whatsoever. I also find it very strange that the key terms and concepts discussed in this course do not figure in this book.

An example of that is consumption or consumer society is completely ignored in this book, (but awkwardly the term "post industrial" does figure in it...).

Also, some terms that might seems of substantial importance are very poorly discussed or explained.
Example of this is "Identity", the author gives a "Longer explanation" that reads nothing like a longer explanation but instead reads like a quick, confused and personal description of "who I am" (who the author is).

Some of the terms that figure in the book also seem rather "common sense", or better, like terms you most likely learned in secondary school.

I am not in a position to judge the professional or academic relevance of this book. But what I am indeed in a position to state is that this book offered me absolutely nothing of relevance when studying a Introduction to Social Sciences and when compared with other similar books that I have read or that I am currently reading and using in my studies, it feels extremely poor and rather amateur.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent clear and concise 'jargon-buster', 22 Jun 2009
Michael Walsh - See all my reviews
Only someone from Australia, free of airs and graces, could produce a book like this. The author is a senior lecturer in social sciences in Sydney. The book is free of the bumptious bunk which clings to social science. Clear, concise and nails all the topics I need for the OU social science course I'm on. I love quoting from the book.Yes, get a decent social sciences dictionary, I've got the one by Duncan Mitchell, but this book is brilliant and is a must have. I like the way it first gives a 'core definition' then the 'longer explanation'. Terrific.

4.0 out of 5 stars Student must-have, 23 July 2010
Really helpful for students new to social science. Found this invaluable for reading lengthy textbooks and research. Good for producing assignments and making use of relevent terms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly accessible, 20 Jun 2012
I'm a post-grad student and wanted to ensure I had sufficient grounding in a broad range of social scientific terminology. This text really breaks each concept down very simply, perhaps a little too simply at times. I think it is absolutely ideal for undergraduates.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new language, 8 Oct 2014
Dr T (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
Helped me to understand a whole new language when I started social research

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Oct 2014