4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction and thought-provoking, 28 Jun 2007
This review is from: Contracts in Counselling & Psychotherapy (Professional Skills for Counsellors Series) (Paperback)
Yes, this book does cover everything it claims to in the introduction. It gives a good insight into some therapist's ways of working and how they use contracts in their work. Offers useful and applicable advice. This book does cover several topics, but, in some areas not in a great deal of detail. I was left wondering about many "what ifs", eg, what if the client didn't stick to the contract and other such potential problems. This book is written by counsellors for counsellors - a good, useful, introduction to the subject but I personally would have appreciated more discussion around the more complex issues (I'm a clinical psychologist).

5.0 out of 5 stars Contractual bliss..., 29 April 2012
Mark Stipanovsky (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
When two or more people agree - we contract...

So far, so good. What happens next?

What if we disagree or have the wrong contract? Can you contract to "get better"?

I was wondering what happens if my client doesn't turn up or doesn't pay me...

The thing I really love about psychotherapy is nothing is as it seems. A good initial contract may make the rest of the journey simpler - not easier - just simpler...

This book covers lots of things I wanted to ask when I started learning and actually began practicing psychotherapy and uncovered lots if things I wasn't even initially aware of.

Part 1 is an overview and has a really good introduction and first chapter from Charlotte Sills. She covers Eric Berne's three types of contracts: the administrative, the professional and the psychological.

This reminds me of when I was first studying psychology and was learning new definitions and then realised I was talking descriptively and my colleague was talking operationally...

Having a better understanding of contracts is very helpful and Charlotte's chapter sets the bar very high and left me hopeful for a really good book.

I wasn't disappointed and I have referred to this book quite frequently because it's a really handy reference as well as an interesting read.

Part 2 covers theoretical approaches and three different authors give you their take from a psychodynamic, cognitive and person centred way of using contracts.

Part 3 covers types and considerations and has a chapter from Ian Stewart regarding outcome focused contracts, another from Adrienne Lee covering Process contracts and a few more chapters from various others.

Part 4 covers the different contexts contracts are used within counselling & psychotherapy such as trainee contracts, supervision etc and helps clarify the many different ways contracting is helpful - and sometimes not so helpful...

It also has some useful blank forms as appendices if you are starting out as a therapist and want a template contract.

This is also helpful if you are studying and need to reference or write about contracts so well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars very informative, 12 July 2013
Gives the information you would need to set up a counselling contract with a client. Whats normally in one that is. Easy to read

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Sep 2014
Came quickly, very satisfactory

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased customer, 6 Aug 2010
It was easy to order with one click, arrived promptly and in perfect condition. I can't ask for more