Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 January 2006
Here is a book which is refreshingly different. The story takes place on the moon - Satylea - and is an absorbing account of the adventures of the fascinating beings who live there. It would be enjoyable for any age, 8 - 80. The author has a gift for bringing her characters to life in a convincing, vivid and sympathetic way, especially the wee Satylean boy, Finn, and his pal, the Blue Rabbit.
The illustrations are great too and add to the attractiveness of the book. We couldn't put it down - and now wait impatiently for Book 2!
on 10 January 2006
I think this is a tale that has a wide appeal for all age ranges and covers a wide range of interests. You find yourself learning all sorts of things from Tudor history to space facts and lots more besides. Finn is a fabulous and unique character who you will find yourself warming to very quickly, and there will be times when you'll find youself holding your breath as Finn finds himself in a scrape! The other characters are well defined and believable and some of them are positively evil. I was sorry when the book came to an end and can't wait to find out what happens next. I'm not going to reveal the plot as it is so unusal and original that I think you should read it and discover the joys of Finn and friends for yourselves. You'll be glad you did!!! A glorious mixture of adventure, intrigue, trepidation and anticipation.
on 26 January 2006
Reviewer: The Blue Rabbit
Hi there. Although I have my back to you on the cover, I (the blue one with the big ears) would like to introduce you to my planet Satylea, better known by you earthlings as... the MOON. It is home to my green companion, Finn (also on the cover), who needs to find his soulmate - an earthborn wizard. Now, such wizards have always been very difficult to find in body, never mind soul! However, first Finn the Satylite must attend shapechanging lessons and learn all about his home planet from Satyl-Galileo, Satyl-Darwin, Satyl-Eratosthenes and, of course, from ME... the BLUE RABBIT. I can usually be found in the Hall of Echoes, far below the Lake of Dreams.
I enlisted the help of an earthling, Dot Taig, to write up the Scrolls for me along with Fran ( a much younger earthling) to illustrate them.
Dr. John Dee, the famous sixteenth century astrologer and his son, Arthur Dee, also appear briefly in this first book but they will have more prominent roles in Book Two, 'Wandering Soul', when Finn actually goes to earth to meet them. Two more books will follow to complete Finn's amazing story as he desperately looks for his soulmate before it is too late...
Many of the places and characters mentioned will help you become more familiar with your moon. You can find them on any moon map or globe: yes, they actually exist. You won't find mention of me though, as I am not a Satylean 'local' like the others!
So let me leave you with a quote from one of Satyl-Eratosthenes' lessons:
'An earthling landing on the surface of Satylea will see nothing of our beautiful land. He will stand in a dry crater surrounded by grey dust. He will see the Haemus mountains rearing dark grey against the starry heavens, but not the pink rock they are made of... he may walk through the Sea of Tranquillity but never get wet. He will be unable to touch or taste the kalmoortle berries - only handfuls of dust will he sift through his fingers.'
And... did I mention Finn's small friend... Spiky, the trilobite?
Byeee... and give me a wave on a clear night when the moon is bright in your sky.
on 24 January 2006
This writer has bucketfulls of imagination, that will intrigue, amuse, and leave you wanting more. The book is a lively, fun and easy read. It is suitable for all age groups and is obviously the first of a series of books that will soon build a solid group of followers waiting for future editions. The Author has done lots of research in areas as diverse as; history, evolution and famous people, yet brings it all together in a tender, interesting and fun way. There really is lfe on the moon!!
on 6 January 2006
I don't think there's any other way to describe this book - "charming" fits it perfectly. Finn is such a sweet character and although the setting is like nothing I've ever read or seen before, I found myself being drawn into the surroundings. It's an incredibly original work and is deffinately worth a look for children and grown-ups who like to think they're still children.