on 14 September 2006
I don't normally go for books about movies - frankly I don't normally feel I need someone to tell me about a film I already know.

However this guide is something different; the writer has clearly put a lot of effort in going in behind the scenes, carefully extracting the essence of each aspect of the movie.

The A-Z style probably *is* the best way to structure the a book like this, and the quirky topics the writer chose give us an insight into how he interprets this superb film.

I like the touches of humour; light-hearted and at times quite black - very much in keeping with the movie!

After just a short peruse I had to get out my old video of W&I and enjoy every scene again; this is a gem of a book.
on 5 October 2014
Not much to it and a quick and easy read that you can pick up and poke around in. If you are a great fan of the movie like me and want to know more about it and the making of then this book is for you but don't expect a detailed explanation or massively deep look into it but it's still an interesting book none the less.
on 28 September 2013
A very well written piece; it certainly contains more information than you thought you needed to know!
Well done Thomas.
on 14 August 2013
Having gone on holiday by mistake I decided to get this whilst watching the film for the umpteenth time. Much fun was had.
on 13 February 2009
Great bedtime reading, this, but there's a few errors in it (reproduced by Hewitt-McManus in good faith). It's Alfred Brendel (not Leslie Pearson, as the official film credits would have us believe) performing Franz Schubert's 'Piano Sonata in B Flat Major (D960 lll Scherzo: Allegro Vivace Con Delicatezza)' on the soundtrack.

Similarly, it's not Jimi Hendrix's 'Voodoo Chile' we hear in the film, which is the 15 minute track from side one of his classic 'Electric Ladyland' album, but the album's closer and 7" single-release 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return)' (5:13).

Still on the subject of the music, I can furnish readers with yet more detail: Charlie Kunz's 'My Friend' is actually part of his 'Medley D.115', and his 'Walk Hand in Hand' is taken from 'Medley D.121'.

Great read, though. Recommended.
on 14 November 2006
I recently saw the Withnail & I film and absolutely loved it! My boyfriend was so pleased (it was his recommendation after all) that he bought me this book. Once I'd started, I couldn't put it down - I wanted to know more. Not only does it satisfy the reader's curiosity and intrigue into what really happened, why, where and how but most importantly its written with the same dry wit as Bruce Robinson's. The level of detail demonstrates the writer's in depth knowledge and appreciation of the Withnail story. An excellent read!
on 11 February 2013
Bough as a gift for a die hard Withnail fan. Kept him entertained for hours! Great little book for everything you ever wanted to know…
on 21 December 2013
Nice to read some stories behind the film , a really good and easy read. Makes you want to watch the film all over again .
on 1 July 2013
Hours of fun for fans of the film. This book is great for trivia quiz questions to get anyone but hard core fans stumped.
on 10 June 2015
camel and a very shallow read - a google search book made on the fly and not worth the 30 minutes required to read.