4.0 out of 5 stars A bit short, but a good read
I can only agree with the one criticism of this book that has been voiced by other reviewers: it's a bit short. Considering the breadth and scope of the events which it spans, it could have been fleshed out considerably without becoming repetitive, boring, or preachy.
Published on 8 Mar 2006 by Winning Form Mr Lips

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely dire
I found the storyline described in the synopsis intriguing and the reviews suggested it would be a great read. When I received the book, the blurb convinced me it was going to be a good one, so I took it away on holiday with me.

Published on 4 Oct 2006 by D. Hughes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely dire, 4 Oct 2006
D. Hughes (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Didymus Contingency (Paperback)

I have never reviewed a book before, as I don't have the analytical and descriptive skills to do so, but I was moved to write here because I have never read anything so shockingly poor. Whilst the basic plot originally enthused me, the characters were not credible in any way and the novel was predictable and poorly written. It was as if a third-rate author had come up with an excellent idea and completely ruined it with a total lack of writing ability. I rarely abandon a book which I have started to read so I resolved to continue to page 100 in order to give it a good chance. Upon reaching the hundredth page, I was so relieved I stopped mid-sentence and regretted having invested any of my holiday time in it.
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit short, but a good read, 8 Mar 2006
Winning Form Mr Lips (Durban North, Kwazulu-Natal South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Didymus Contingency (Paperback)
For all that, it's a rattling good yarn. Man's fascination with time travel is well documented in both book and film, but this novel tackles much weightier issues than is the norm for the genre. The very existence of Christ. It is a credit to the writer (who, dare one say, in some ways displays a maturity beyond the years of a man born in 1974) that he achieves this without sermonising or trying to convert non-believers and skeptics.
Nor does he expend to much effort on explaining how the protagonists are able to bounce back and forth in time between 2005, the time of Jesus, and 1985 Zambia. There would be no point, for it's all fantasy anyway, so let's just accept that these guys have created time travel and get on with the story. And it's a pretty good story, for all that time travel remains an unattainable dream. It tells its tale in a non-controversial manner (unlike, say, the Da Vinci Code) and will leave the reader wanting much more. A cliffhanger in the final author's note indeed hints at more to come, so watch this space.
One star deducted for brevity, but the author could also have gone too far the other way and produced a seemingly endless potboiler that could double as a doorstop in a tornado. That would have been a great deal worse, because the nature of the material would have made it almost impossible to avoid a certain preachiness. Still, it does feel a little rushed and overly compressed, at times, and could have used a bit more meat on it bones.
The verdict, nevertheless, must be: Read it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Proofreading should be obligatory!, 19 May 2009
Christos Markou (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
The plot is average, although the basic idea is quite good!
I found the character development too shallow!

BUT, the biggest problem of this book is the number of typos!
It really becomes annoying even for a non-native English speaker
as I am! The editor tried to make some savings here!

I guess there other better edited/printed books around with
equally good stories! Would not really recommend it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled into buying this book, 21 July 2006
KG Solander (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Didymus Contingency (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to reading the book as - like another reviewer put it - it didn't appear to be the usual run of the mill Da Vince code. But was sorely disappointed.

The idea of the book is great! The facts about the possibility of time travel are well explained and open up the road for a brilliant read.

Alas, no such luck!

Firstly, found myself becoming increasingly annoyed with the Tom character and how we was created by Robinson. Does anyone honestly believe that an adult, well-educated man, a scientist can be SO ignorant about basic facts in the life of Jesus (like, eh, what's going to happen to Lazarus and what did Judas do???). Come on!!!!

The interaction between the characters of the book is so wooden and the language so bad it made me want to cry!

The two love stories seem like they were put in there just for the sake of it and just bring the entertainment value even further down.

Also, before a book is published PLEASE learn your grammar (you use THAN for comparisons, not THEN!) - I know this is a small point, but after the other things, it was just the drop.

I LOVE reading, I love books but I can honestly say that this is one of the very, very few times that I thought the time spent reading was wasted!

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter pants, 1 Aug 2006
Alec Willetts (Tours, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Didymus Contingency (Paperback)
This has got to be the worst written book I have had the misfortune of spending my hard earnt cash on. It goes from cliché to cliché without drawing breath, and then even it doesn't have the common decency to have good written style.

I can't begin to imagine the kind of books the people who gave it glowing reviews are used to reading. Does it mean there are worse books out there, surely not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassing Sci-fi, 20 Mar 2007
Richard Reid (Portrush, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Didymus Contingency (Paperback)
This is undoubtedly one of the worst science fiction books I have ever read. From its 2-D characters, its illogical and semi-digested science to its ludicrous apologia for Christianity (hasn't Jeremy Robinson ever heard of the Inquisition, witch burning and the genocide of pre-Columbian America when he extols Christianity asa good thing?), it's an appalling, simple minded book for the semi-literate. Please, Jeremy, go back to your day job.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 24 Nov 2010
Mr. P. J. Brown (Brighton England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Didymus Contingency (Paperback)
I orginally wrote a review when this book first came out and somehow it has gone. Like some other reviewers I took this on holiday as one of my holiday reads after the good reviews and interesting subject matter. My first concern was when I realised that this was a self funded publication, but everybody has to start somewhere.

I tried but I could not bring myself to finish the book - read approximately 100 pages. I have to say that it is the worst published book I have read, poor grammer, spelling, continuity, science (very basic), art of building a story etc etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!, 23 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Didymus Contingency (Paperback)
This is, by far, the most superb book I've read this year. It takes you to another time, another way of life and makes you believe you're really there. Ancient Israel comes alive. The life of Jesus is seen through vivid, modern eyes as the book's main character travels back in time to disprove the story of the Christ. Whether he succeeds or not I leave to you to find out. Truly, a modern masterpiece!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Feb 2014
This book was interesting, fun and at times a little freaky. Which let's face it, is what Jeremy Robinson does best. I didn't really know what to expect from this book but having heard a lot of positive things about it thought it was high time I gave it a go. I can see why the book got so many positive comments and why so many people consider it to be one of Robinson's best work to date. It really grabs your attention and doesn't let go until the final page.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable tosh., 13 Jan 2014
I've read a lot of reviews for this book and I must say; People that gave it one star and a harsh review need to lighten up just a little. Yes. It's nonsense, but it's an enjoyable read and good fun. After all; It is fiction. Some reviews complained that the author doesn't go into any detail about how the characters travel backwards and forwards in time. Does this really matter as its impossible any way. Just enjoy the story for what it is. A little bit of escapism.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Didymus Contingency
The Didymus Contingency by Jeremy Robinson (Paperback - 31 Mar 2005)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available