5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Learning Arabic

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware
Published on 16 Nov 2009 by CO

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Learning Arabic, 11 Mar 2005
I bought this for my seven year old daughter who has really enjoyed it. The book is very clear and fun to use. Any adult learning Arabic would also find this book useful. Each picture has the arabic word written underneath plus the transliteration so you can say the word even if you cannot read arabic. A great way to learn!! Reminds me of Richard Scarry's style with bold, fun pictures and words.

4.0 out of 5 stars Making Arabic child's play, 22 Nov 2009
P. Harkins (England, UK) - See all my reviews
The Usborne First Thousand Words in Arabic book is big, colourful and contains loads of pictures and words; I didn't count them but I assume 1000. It looks like a children's book but so what? It is a long time since I left school but, as a novice learning Arabic, I find it invaluable.

There are 50 pages of pictures with accompanying Arabic words and their phonetic equivalents. So, you can choose your topic- home, beach or supermarket etc- and find a variety of relevant words there along with how they sound in English. The Arabic words sometimes seem a little small for me but this might just reflect my lack of expertise in reading Arabic.

The back of the book also holds an Arabic alphabet followed by an index of the English words used with their pronunciation plus Arabic translation.

Overall, I use the book regularly, think it attractively priced and would recommend it to other beginners of all ages.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware, 16 Nov 2009
I bought this book for my children whom I am teaching Arabic. It's not bad, the concept is great but a number of unnecessary blunders have ruined it from being an essential and worthwhile buy. To proceed, there is a number of spelling mistakes in the Arabic script, likewise marred by a more voluminous amount of wrong and confusing transliterations into the Latin script.

I wouldn't advise buying this title unless one is either:

1)a native speaker,
2)an advanced learner
3)or cannot find anything else better out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful ..but could be better, 16 Aug 2007
As mentioned by previous reviewers this book has much to commend it: it's very well presented, groups vocab by subject matter (an excellent way to learn) and includes the Arabic word transliterated next to the picture for those unfamiliar with the Arabic script.

However one big drawback is that, in terms of English, all that is given is the picture - the word in English isn't (understandably given space and visual considerations) thus where the picture is ambigous you aren't really sure exactly what its suppose to represent in English. The dictionary at the back doesn't help because it is organized alphabetically and starts with the English word!! For example what is shara on P29? The new learner might assume from the picture its sun or smile -I only knew this wasn't the case from previous Arabic knowledge
and not being willing to painstakingly check through each word in the dictionary at the back still dont!! Very frustrating!

Had the back of the book been arranged better (e.g.translations of each page I would have given it 5 stars)

3.0 out of 5 stars If you know both languages you will see the problems., 30 Jun 2012
On the plus side, this book is fun, information packed, appealing for younger learners, and has good sets of vocabulary. My daughter likes looking at the pictures and finding things on the pages when I prompt her.

On the down side, a number of the words are offered as the local dialect version rather than the modern standard (fus-ha). If you know about modern standard Arabic, you will be able to identify these words. I'm not saying that this is a major detraction from what is a good book, but it should be made clear in a preface or introduction. If you purely use this book for learning vocab, you will therefore learn some words which are not appropriate for the item being described.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 20 July 2009
V. Kalantzi (Greece) - See all my reviews
This book is just great! THE most pleasant way to learn your first 1000 words in arabic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, funny and most of all, educational!, 18 Jun 2009
Mr. M. Hameed "seeker" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have a confession to make. I bought this book for myself-i'm 25 years old! I had great fun reading it and learned alot. Good for the student of Arabic and, of course especially for children! Worth a buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy read..., 30 Mar 2008
Kairra (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I actually owned the english version of this book when i was a child, which helped me learn to speak my own language. When i saw this as a deal on a Dummies Guide to Arabic, i jumped at it. It's a very simple way of learning; on every page is a picture of a situation (for instance, rooms in a house) and around the edge of the pages are small pictures of each componant of that scene, and the name for it. So for instance if you were looking at a bathroom scene, around the edge would be a picture of a bath, sink, sponge, shower curtain etc. At the back of a book is an alphabet list and an index of words (useful if you can't tell what a picture is).

These books are fantastic for picking up words fast, and give clear and fun examples of grammar and verbal trends. Although as stated, it can sometimes be unclear as to what the pictures are referring to, it's not hard to either check it up at the back of the book or look the Arabic word up on the net to find the real meaning.

In all, along with the Dummies Guide to Arabic this book has served me very well, and is a pleasure to own. It's also a lovely throwback to my childhood :)

4.0 out of 5 stars First Thousand Words in Arabic, 11 Jun 2009
Lisbeth (Sudan, Africa) - See all my reviews
So far am pleased with the book. Although probably for children, as an adult trying to get to grips with Arabic, I find it very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
This review is from: First Thousand Words in Arabic (Paperback)
Really easy to use

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

First Thousand Words in Arabic
First Thousand Words in Arabic by Heather Amery (Paperback - 1 July 2014)
5.24