5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and wonderfully illustrated, 16 Dec. 2013
This review is from: First Thousand Words in English (Usborne First Thousand Words) (Paperback)
I purchased this as a gift to a nine-year old relative, whose mother tongue isn't English. The language lessons will begin next year only, but he wants a head start, so this will be a fantastic vocabulary builder for him. The lovely illustrations seem similar to the ones in his reading/spelling book and I don't feel they are too childish yet.

The words are divided into several contexts; home, street, time, and weather to name a few. Many contexts are illustrated with a larger picture, from which specific words have been selected. Each chosen word is both illustrated and spelled.

This reminds me of a picture dictionary, which was my first introduction to English. The lacking element of translation isn't bad, though, because the visual aspects of this book make well up for it. I think 1000 words is a good place to start in a visual manner, after which the child might want something more verbally geared, should their first language not be English.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 27 Nov. 2013
I am italian. I bought it for my 4 years old son.
He likes it, but I find it really useful to improve my english:
is good to have visual situation like hospital, farm, school...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 9 Dec. 2013
Great resource for EAL children. I find the verbs pages really useful as you can adapt it to fit around many language games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I know for 1 - 2 year olds, 21 Oct. 2013
This book contains so many pictures and words I have been using it for 20 years to teach children to converse. I was delighted to be able to get a new one as the old one is dog eared and stuck together with tape because it got so much use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For All Children, 6 Nov. 2013
As good as ever - been buying this for children for years - and will buy the Spanish and French version for my neice

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 14 Feb. 2014
Wonderful book. I had a copy as a child and am now using it to teach English as a foreign language.
Speedy delivery. Arrived from across the Atlantic in perfect condition

5.0 out of 5 stars First Thousand Words, 14 Oct. 2013
This was one of the first books my children had (30+ years ago) and it really helped their language develop. So, I have bought this book for every member of the family and my friends, since, who have had babies. My most recent purchase has been for my two youngest grandchildren who are 6 months. You can never start them too young. Incidentally, I have also bought it in Welsh, Arabic, French and Hebrew - so diverse is my family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 5 Jan. 2014
I had so much fun with this book and my own children, I had to buy it again for my granddaughter. It arrived promptly and in excellent condition

5.0 out of 5 stars First Thousand Words, 8 Mar. 2014
A great introduction for small children and treasured as much as the author's Farmyard Tales. Well worth the money, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, valuable starter for learning English, 8 Nov. 2013
Iwona Lifsches "Iwona" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This book is very beautiful and this is a real pleasure to me and my grandchildren to learn English. It also remembers me the books I bought for my daughter when we started learning English. The pictures are beautiful and composed perfectly to learn the language by using senses

First Thousand Words in English (Usborne First Thousand Words)
First Thousand Words in English (Usborne First Thousand Words) by Heather Amery (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2013)
Used & New from: £7.76