5.0 out of 5 stars A Contemporary Love Story With a Sci-Fi Twist!
Published 22 months ago by Jess Hearts Books

3.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable read
When I first heard about Soulmates, I was so intrigued to read it! I just loved the idea of soulmates actually existing, but their bond being dangerous to the world. I started reading it as soon as it arrived, and I enjoyed it!

Published 23 months ago by Jo

5.0 out of 5 stars A Contemporary Love Story With a Sci-Fi Twist!, 13 Sept. 2013
Jess Hearts Books (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Soulmates (Paperback)
Soulmates is a unique and compelling debut by fresh new British talent Holly Bourne - I was utterly blown away by it! "Soulmates" and "True Love" is a worn out concept in YA and yet Holly Bourne puts an exciting scientific spin on it. What if meeting your soulmate was a bad thing? Holly Bourne puts romance under the microscope and asks the eternal question "what is love?" In this contemporary love story with a sci-fi twist.

Despite being a fairly chunky novel I was immediately captivated by this story and never got bored nor did the book feel overly long. I think this was mainly down to the authors writing style; it was funny, thrilling, current and hugely readable. There were times when I laughed, sobbed, and was on the edge of me seat with anticipation. The book is told from Poppy's perspective and there are alternate chapters told in third person following a secret society who seem to be keeping tabs on Poppy and Noah's romance. I loved this extra insight and I was so curious to find out why Poppy and Noah were so dangerous.

Poppy was such a refreshing heroine. She's snarky and a complete cynic when it comes to the idea of "true love" so nobody is more surprised than her when she meets Noah and they have an instant connection. Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of insta-love but for this particular story it worked in this books favour. What I really loved was that although Poppy and Noah had an instant spark their relationship still grew and developed over time as they got to know one another.

One of my favourite things about Soulmates was the scientific aspect to the book. Holly Bourne really examines what love is and the chemical reactions our bodies have to that loved up feeling. A lot of the science behind the book is actual facts and the nerd in me loved asking the big questions like "is love just an illusion?" "Is it a chemical reaction?" "Is there really a perfect person out there for everyone and if so what are the chances of finding them?" Soulmates looks at love from every angle and I loved how thought provoking it was.

Whilst reading this book my heart raced, I had butterflies in my stomach, clammy hands and a dry mouth. My diagnosis? I've fallen head over heels in love with Soulmates! Holly Bourne is a bright rising star in UK YA if you love books by C.J Skuse and Cat Clarke you won't want to miss this extraordinary debut!

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing take on Soulmates and a must read!, 28 Aug. 2013
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Soulmates (Paperback)
You'd be forgiven for thinking that Soulmates by Holly Bourne was some sappy, romantic, instalove kind of book given the title but...you'd also be dead wrong. Trust me on this. Soulmates is told from the eyes of Poppy, a regular teenage girl albeit a very cynical one, especially when it comes to matters of the heart. She thinks it's all just chemistry and hormones and the idea of soulmates? WHATEVER. That is, until she meets her own soulmate. But, like all good love stories, she doesn't recognise him as her soulmate at first and their relationship certainly gets off to a rocky start! What follows is the story of two teenagers falling in love and all the while, an international agency is conspiring to keep them apart. BUT WHY? This is the question that will drive you on through the novel until it reaches its devasting conclusion.

For someone who doesn't read a lot of British books (I know, I know) I have to say that I absolutely loved this one. It's as British as Bridget Jones and laugh out loud funny in parts, which is something I greatly appreciated. I think the story is fantastic in a The Adjustment Bureau meets Hancock kind of way and whilst I really don't think the message is "true love is disastrous for all involved", I love the juxtaposition of the idea surrounding soulmates - traditionally, we're told that meeting your soulmate is a GOOD thing but in this book? Not so. Well, they do say that the path to true love never runs smooth!

I like the fact that the book addresses issues of depression and anxiety whilst not making them the sole focus of the novel. The characters are unique and interesting (and very British) and Noah is swoonworthy without being a bad boy and owning a motorbike, which is somewhat refreshing!

Poppy was in some ways a girl after my own heart although at her age, I think I was more idealistic than she is and it's only now that I'm older that I feel more cynical. DAMN IT, I'M SUCH A CLICHE! I love the fact that she doesn't feel ashamed to go into a sophisticated coffee shop with her friends and order banana milk (and why should she?! I would do the exact same thing as I don't drink coffee) and she's smart about her decision making, on the whole.

I was proud of myself for making it through the entire book without crying UNTIL I got to the last two pages and then it was game over. Soulmates is an impressive debut novel and a wonderfully original story with a fresh take on the idea of star crossed lovers. I enjoyed every minute of it and it certainly got me thinking - recently, we've had five random power cuts at work, all in succession, not to mention the freakishly warm weather recently and I suddenly thought - COULD MY SOULMATE BE IN THE BUILDING?! I guess I'll never know and perhaps it's a good idea that I don't ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable read, 1 Sept. 2013
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soulmates (Paperback)

When it comes to love, Poppy is a cynic. The whole idea of romance and falling in love just seems completely ridiculous to her, and she's absolutely certain there are no happy endings. Then she meets Noah, and everything changes. The feelings she has for Noah are like nothing she has ever felt, and she is surprised over just how strongly Noah returns her feelings. Poppy and Noah are soulmates, each the other's perfect match. But their happiness comes at a cost - their being together puts the whole world in immense danger. They have to choose, stay together, or live apart?

As I said, I enjoyed Soulmates, but there were a few things that I weren't so keen on. Poppy was one of them. She was just so sarcastic and cynical, I found her incredibly annoying. And she was so insecure, which is surprising as Poppy's dad has a thing about encouraging her to be aware of her own self-worth. But whenever Noah was in the slightest of moods, it was because she was unattractive or he didn't fancy her any more. She didn't even consider that there could be some other reason.

Noah was also a little too sappy for my liking. This is mostly down to personal taste, but his great declarations early on aren't really my bag. Especially as they didn't know they were soulmates at the time, and he isn't even sure she feels the same way. Talking about being together forever after just a few dates would have me walking away backwards very slowly. He was really romantic, however, and planned some of the most awesome dates! Seriously, soulmate or not, Poppy is one lucky girl in that respect! And there were a number of hot and steamy moments! Yeah, despite his habit of declaring his undying love at every opportunity, Noah is pretty much perfect!

Despite the description about the book, it's heavier on the romance and Poppy and Noah's relationship than on the consequences. We're aware of some of the effects on the world, and they comment on them quite frequently, but as they don't know they're soulmates, there is no connection made. Every few chapters, we would have a chapter in italics told in third person - as opposed to Poppy's first - showing us Dr Anita Beaumont and her assistant Rain, members of some unknown organisation who have been keeping track of Poppy and Noah's relationship, and deciding what action to take. These chapters are so intriguing, and I wish we had more of them! I would have liked to have understood a little more about what it was they were doing than seeing Noah and Poppy kiss again. The book does feel a little unnecessarily long to me when so heavily fosed on the romance, but I was gripped nevertheless, eager to know exactly what their relationship is doing to the world, even if they were completely oblivious.

The science! Oooh, the science! Not only is Soulmates a really sweet novel, the science it's based on is absolutely fascinating! Having the biology of love - how it actually manifests in the body - was really interesting! Though I must admit that I was loudly thinking "NO!" when some of the arguments about love were discussed. You can't help but really think about your own views of love and what it is - your beliefs, and the strength of those beliefes, while you're reading, and exactly what you would do for love, and to then have someone - a character - try and tell you you've got it all wrong... it's amazing how strongly I reacted. In it's way, Soulmates is a thought-provoking and challenging book, and really has you asking questions.

The ending is absolutely incredible! Seriously, it might just be one of the best ending's I've ever read. Those last few paragraphs made my heart sing, and filled me with such hope! They had me loudly thinking, "YES!", and brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. They're words I will come back to over and over until I have them memorised. After so much cynicism, in the end, Poppy is a girl after my own heart - though it does kind of feel like Bourne is talking herself, as well as Poppy. Really, such an amazing ending! Soulmates is awesome and educational, with an ending that is too beautiful for words!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathless!, 21 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Soulmates (Paperback)
This book is absolutely beautiful!
What I thought at first was going to be a nicely written and diverting piece of young adult lit turned to be a witty, heart-rending and amusing story that examines all forms of love in a mature and realistic way. This book looks at modern culture and expectations with a slight tongue in cheek and challenges them to go deeper. The characters are engaging and so believable that I can see a little of my friends in all of them, you genuinely feel for each of them. I won't ruin the ending but I will just say that it will leave you breathless!

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Soulmates (Kindle Edition)
First I'd like to point out that I'm not a teenage girl and this book is really aimed at young women with romantic inclinations. That said I still found this book an enjoyable read basically because of the writing style. For a first novel it is quite amazing how mature and well written this novel is.
Nor is this a 'normal' romance. There's a twist to the story which, at first, I thought might turn out to be rather preposterous but which, actually, fits very well with the storyline and turns it into something more. Then there are the characters. Very quickly the main heroine, Poppy, takes shape in your mind and you become completely involved with her. The love of her life, Noah, takes longer to develop but he, too, becomes real in your imagination as he takes a more prominent role in the story.
Then there are Poppy's friends, each different, each exhibiting real character traits that make them interesting in their own right. They helped the story speed along nicely as well as acting as counterparts to Poppy's rational, or is it irrational, analysis of her life and where it is going.
I did get lost, occasionally, in the more lengthy descriptions of some of Poppy's timetable. According to the author she needed to cut the book considerably before it was published and, for me, it could have been pruned a little more. But, like I said, I'm not a teenage girl and perhaps these incidental parts flesh out Poppy's reality a little more. That's the only reason I've deducted a star.
Like all good reads this story will have you racing to finish it as you get to the last chapters. And I don't see any reason why it shouldn't tug at your heart strings at the same time.
It's been a long time since I've read a romantic novel as entertaining and with such real characters. It is simply a bonus that it is British too. Recommended as a really good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Soulmates (Paperback)
This book has been sitting in my TBR pile and I couldn’t wait to pick it up after I saw a lot of hype about it on twitter. So, I finally decided that it was my next book to tackle and I didn’t regret it at all.

There are so many reasons that I am in love with this book. All the way through the book you could sense that it was pure British; from the language Bourne had used to the way she spoke about college for Poppy and her friends. It’s not often that I come about a book that is based in Britain and catches my eye and this one was amazing.

Lately in books, I have really been struggling to find one that finds a good balance between descriptive writing and speech and for me, Soulmates hit the hammer on the head with the balance. I was two chapters into the books and the description was beautiful, it was exactly the sort of thing that I have missed reading and that had to be one of the main things that made me hooked to the book. I loved the way everything was explained and how the writing just flowed.

I was in love with Poppy’s dad from the moment that he was mentioned. The father-daughter relationship was really well wrote and you could see that he was the one that Poppy inherited a lot of her habits from and that they seemed to understand each other and the way they are. I love his attitude towards most things in life and how he looks out for Poppy but not in an over-bearing way.

Even though Poppy and Noah were the main focus of the book, we got chapters where it was jumping to the people who knew what was going on between Poppy and Noah which I really enjoyed reading about because it gave you a little break from the main point of the story whilst still being about it. Anita and Rain were two people I really wanted to see more of and I really did get curious as to what was going to happen between those two. Anita’s story really made me want to read on and find out what happened to her.
I love Poppy and Noah’s relationship and how they ended up opening up to each other and grow with each other. It was really enjoyable to read.

I did find Poppy slightly annoying though as she did seem to be slightly stereotypical as she was quite cynical about love and what was going on in the world. That was the only fault that I have with the book, as a character I found it hard to deal with her sometimes and the way she hated everything mainstream. Her character development happened pretty quickly for me, though that may have been intended when Noah came into her life, for me it just didn’t seem to sit well and was something that did bug me throughout the book.

This book was amazing though and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a romance with a twist. It was completely worth the read and I cannot wait to get my hands on Holly Bourne’s next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book - Poppy the narrator has a strong, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Soulmates (Paperback)
I loved this book - Poppy the narrator has a strong, unique voice, and it really feels like she's telling you the story personally over coffee, with all the intimate details and her feelings, fears and joys expressed. It's lovely to see how Poppy and Noah's relationship builds and changes, and you find yourself really rooting for them, and feeling sick that it appears they might be split apart for reasons completely out of their control. Read it - you'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read !!!, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Soulmates (Kindle Edition)
I read this in two days. I could not put it down. I am so excited for her next book. I think this is my favourite book that I have read. I want to read it all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantaatic book, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Soulmates (Kindle Edition)
Loved every minute if this book. I laughed, I cried and felt every emotion in between. Everyone Must read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Soulmates (Kindle Edition)
such a lovely story about young love, like no other I've read. it makes you see a different side to love and the sacrifices people will make for their schoolmates. brought a tear to my eye. would recommend for anyone and everyone. one of my favourite books!

Soulmates
Soulmates by Holly Bourne (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2013)