Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 February 2014
This is a really lovely picture book and great for my 21 month old daughter who is very interested in the moon. I particularly liked that the child in the book is a little girl as it's not just boys who are interested in space and rockets.
I decided to get another copy of the book as a present and noticed that some reviews were referring to puzzles at the back of the book. There are no puzzles in our paperback version, so I thought I'd order the hardback version to see if that had the puzzles. I then realised that the paperback and hardback versions are quite different, so thought I'd summarise the differences to help other people choose which version to get:
1)The paperback is much bigger, which makes the illustrations look better.
2) the hardback version has a few puzzles at the end which are missing from the paperback version
3) there is more text in the paperback version, it's in the present tense and talks as if the child is going to the moon (e.g. To go outside, you have to put on a space suit). The hardback version has slightly less text and it's in the past tense and talks about what the astronauts did (e.g. They put on space suits to go outside). I think this is because the hardback version is a "first reading" book, so presume the text is a bit simpler for the child to read it themselves.
In summary, I preferred the paperback version to read to a young child as the text seems more interesting and the larger pages make the pictures look nicer. The hardback version might be better for older children who are just learning to read.
VINE VOICEon 8 September 2007
This is a gorgeous book that uses real NASA photos of the moon overlaid with or onto fun line drawings of astronauts so the book feels entirely 'picture book' and yet truly 'lunar'. In reality this is a very early information book in disguise with short simple text perfectly suited for the preschooler,from age 2, and is teaching basic space information to the smallest children about the lack of air and gravity, the terrain etc. The book also asks the reader questions such as 'Do you think you'll ever go to the moon' and 'What do you think to would be like to go there?' so is a good starting point to talk more about space with an older child. My only quibble is with the beautifullly padded covers, the hardback version takes up too much space on the book shelf! Otherwise, an absolute winner as a picture book and an information book -a must for any small child with has an interest in space.
on 7 January 2010
Bought this for my 1 year old who is moon mad, a lovely book with nice pictures.
VINE VOICEon 4 April 2014
I didn't realise when I bought it but it describes truthfully what happens on a journey to the Moon, rather than just being a simple story book! Brilliant, The pictures are gorgeous too. I want to buy more by the same author.
on 16 May 2013
My 7yrs old daughter did not like it because "It's for babies and small kids". On the other hand, my (almost) 5yrs old wanted me to read this to her.

Illustrations are beautiful enough to catch and sustain children's attention. Book size is just alright for little hands to hold.

The attached bookmark is also a much appreciated addition - no need to buy one.

This is recommended to toddlers and small kids.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 April 2016
We've read this a few times now, and each time my son is able to memorise a few more of the more tricky words (astronaut, photo, quiet), as well as be able to recognise simple and familiar ones.

It's both non-fiction about a girl wanting to become an astronaut and a story about how astronauts get to the moon. We see them in their rocket and what they get up to when they reach the moon. At the end we are encouraged to think about if we would like to go there too.

Some children might ask about the history of the moon landings, others might ask about what it's like in space. My son ended up watching YouTube clips with me about the sun, stars and planets. I was thrilled - it's all stirring his imagination and understanding of the universe.

At the end are three quizzes (a spot the difference, fitting the right sentence to each picture and finding objects in a picture of the moon). All developing vital early langauge and reading skills.

A great title in a series I'll be borrowing from the library again. Nicely illustrated as well, and well thought-through for the age group.

As a bedtime story it works too, it is very short, but perfectl comprehensible for toddlers. Works well for KS1 early readers to practice their reading skills on.
on 20 December 2005
As an Early Years practioner- and with 4 children of my own, I would recommend this to parents/ carers looking for a book that gives factual information about travelling to and life on the moon, without appearing to be boring. It's been a favourite with the children in my household from about 3 years upwards. The pictures are excellent and it provides children with the answers they are looking for. Books are not just about having stories, they should also be used to find things out- a skill worth learning early on. Well worth buying!
on 31 May 2014
Lovely story with little details for younger readers
We were looking at the topic of space
Just what I needed
on 4 March 2014
Worked brilliantly as a bedtime book. We loved the idea of flying to the moon one day. Lovely. Will buy more books.
on 17 June 2014
The book is a well written text about travelling to and exploring the moon. It is aimed at young pre-shook