5.0 out of 5 stars Friendly swashbuckling for 18 months onwards!
Published on 21 Feb 2008 by ELH Browning

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended
Very difficult to read as text and images are to small Format definitely inappropriate for kindle I want a refund!
Published 6 months ago by snix

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Friendly swashbuckling for 18 months onwards!, 21 Feb 2008
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
With its incredibly sturdy covers, this is an equally sturdy introduction to pirates for the very young. "On a pirate ship" has been carefully designed for toddler and pre-school children with just one or two short clear sentences per page. Soft colourful pictures show what it would be like to live on a pirate ship and the illustrations cleverly manage to capture the risky and scary nature of pirates lives yet remain both gentle and exciting enough for my three year old. The reality of piracy is covered, albeit exceptionally briefly, in a very friendly way with a storm at sea, a sword fight on a treasure ship, presented amidst a page of treasure, a celebratory banquet below deck and a stop-off on a tropical island. A gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative, 11 Mar 2009
Weenana (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
'On a Pirate' is a lovely book for young children. Clear bright pictures with a simple informative explanation of life on a pirate ship. The story outlines life on board ship, a storm, and the capture of a treasure ship; but all in a warm, non-scarey way. My three-year-old tear-away grandson loves this series of books and loves the Benji Davies illustrations. Lots of interesting things to look at and discuss. He similarly loves 'On the Moon' and 'In the Castle'. All the books in this series have solid, padded, hard covers and quality thick pages inside. We initially borrowed the books from the Library, but he loved these three titles so much I bought them. Bargain prices from Amazon and free postage to boot. Delivered within two days of the order being placed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly written and illustrated!, 10 April 2014
Kairra (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
What a wonderful book! I purchased this recently on a whim as I looked for books for my 16 month old, ans the moment I opened the envelope she took it and insisted I read it over and over. She loves making the boom noise for the cannon and pointing out the cat or the parrot. I love the feel of the front cover, it's a hardback but there's foam under the paper so it's kind of squashy.

I would definitely recommend this book for younger toddlers and those learning to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars My little boy of two and a half absolutely loves ..., 17 July 2014
This review is from: On a Pirate Ship (Usborne Picture Books) (Paperback)
My little boy of two and a half absolutely loves this book - he is into pirates these days, and this book with its very simple sentences and clear and colourful pictures, is a hit. There isn't a story as such...but it gives a flavour of life on board a pirate ship to very young and imaginative toddlers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Currently my (just) two year old's favourite book. It has really captured his imagination, 11 July 2014
This review is from: On a Pirate Ship (Usborne Picture Books) (Paperback)
Currently my (just) two year old's favourite book. It has really captured his imagination. Daddy has to read it every night at the moment...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
this is a lovely book my son really enjoys reading it

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 31 May 2014
This review is from: On a Pirate Ship (Usborne Picture Books) (Paperback)
This book is great for any child who loves PIRATES! Lovely illustrations throughout the book and very colourful and bright. Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 16 May 2014
This review is from: On a Pirate Ship (Usborne Picture Books) (Paperback)
My grandson who is 3 loved this and we have had to play pirates ever since. We bought it for our holiday home so we are by the seaside which was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely bedtime story, 9 May 2014
lovely little bedtime story. Bought this to read to my son and he loved it.
He loves pirates this is perfect

4.0 out of 5 stars Grand story for grandkids, 28 April 2014
G. Molyneux "Molyslip" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought for my grandchildren so I could read them a bed-time story via my tablet.

They loved the story and illustrations.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

On a Pirate Ship (Usborne Picture Books)
On a Pirate Ship (Usborne Picture Books) by Anna Millbourne (Paperback - 1 Aug 2011)