Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 September 2011
I bought this as a birthday present for a 10 year old. Most of the book is about rocks but are a few pages at the back on fossils. To make up the present I put together a collection of common fossils which could be identified using the book. My friend's son loved it.
on 8 September 2014
Absolutely brilliant book! Full of colour pictures with a good, easy for kids to understand section explaining how the different types of rocks are formed! Also has lots of little fact and info boxes dotted around as well as 1 or 2 little simple experiments to do! Good clear pictures of different rock samples and fossils!
This 96-page booklet is an interesting and colourful introduction to geology, explaining clearly and simply how the various types of rocks are formed, how erosion works on them, and how soil is formed, and the nature of fossils. The six chapters (Rock Spotting; The Restless Earth; Rocks; Minerals; Fossils; Rock Collecting) look at different aspects of the processes, containing colourful illustrations with clearly-written text and captions. There are also little experiments and informative side-bars scattered throughout the book. This is a well-written and informative volume, and is ideal for young readers and interested adults. I actually studied geology 40 years ago at school, and this book taught me more than the course back then did (or at least I now understand the subject enough to appreciate the work put in to this volume).
on 8 December 2013
Good book for a 6 year old or maybe a bit older. Plenty of pictures. Bought in combination with a starter fossil kit from Dr Cool. Went well with the fossil kit.
on 29 October 2013
My nephew is learning about fossils at school and so found this really interesting and information - was favourite aunt for a while!! His little brother liked the pictures too.
on 16 October 2014
Loving this book for my 5 yr old (and me!) We have read it together and started a rock collection using it for identification. We have also used other books to help with our project. Great for reference or home education.
on 8 October 2012
A really good informative book about gems and fossills. Although it is too old for my grandson there are amazing pictures so I could read the information and point to the pictures and put the info into my own words so that he could understand. Bought 2 for both of my grandsons.
on 26 January 2013
A really good book for children showing an interest in geology with lots of images and explanations. Interesting and informative. Jeanway
on 8 March 2014
Bought as part of our growing 'library' of dinosaur-related topic books. This appeals to the more able 7-year old readers in my class as the vocabulary is challenging but the pictorial content of the book is superb (as is usual from Usborne) so that it still appeals to those whose reading skills may not be quite so developed.
on 17 October 2014
Great book. My 5 year old daughter loves it. and uses it to compare the fossils and rocks and minerals in her own collection. Can't believe she makes me read her this instead of stories Great book. Great service