on 14 May 2012
Beautifully written and illustrated retellings of a selected few of the many fairy tales written by Hans Christian Anderson. Particularly impressed by the Little Mermaid, which is an antidote to the saccharine Disney version of the story. Too well done to be upsetting, but the darker side of fairy stories is at least present here. My daughter and I have read these again and again.
on 3 April 2013
I bought this book so that my Year 1 class could listen and read the story of Thumbelina. Thumbelina seems to be one of the forgotten classic fairytales and my class were intrigued by the story. They loved the illustration and kept reffering to the book as 'the special Thumbelina book' because the binding was nice and they were not used to illustration that didn't look digitalised. Thumbs up from me. Also, the other stories are equally well written and nicely illustrated. My only downside is the lack of adjectives, however my class post-it noted them in :)
on 25 September 2012
I think this book is wonderful! All Andersen's classic tales told in a manner that is appealing and easy to understand by children from 5-9. The illustrations are gorgeous and the text is in depth enough to hold the attention of children that are past picture books but still like pictures in their books if you know what I mean! I have bought the Grimms Fairytales (also beautiful) too but will probably put that one away for Xmas but will review it at a later date.
on 3 April 2013
Wonderful stories, well-known obviously, but wonderfully written.

I have other books from this series and love the size of the book - ideal for bed-time stories!
To be honest though I had expected more pictures in this book, as is the case in the other books that we have in this series.
on 10 August 2013
Can't go wrong with the classic fairytales. This edition of the storybook has a nice 'soft' hardcover and nice illustrations.
on 6 April 2015
bought for my 5 yearold. hard stories with harsh lessons, but a good book, definaltey not disneyfied. I would proof read first though as I read the "little fir tree" at Christmas and my daughter cried soo much because the tree would die after Christmas finished.........

But a must for story times.
on 13 January 2016
What a lovely book! My six year old spends ages looking at the pictures and she loves the cover! It's inclusion of information about the author of the stories at he back is such a good idea and intrigued her too. A very good buy.
on 28 May 2014
This is a lovely book which for grown ups or smaller hands is a really nice size, many childrens books are quite large and trickier to handle while negotiating the duvet whilst page turning at bedtime. I bought this on the back of my daughters obsession of Frozen, as it is said to be loosely based on 'The Snow Queen', I could of bought this story alone but I'm glad I didn't as it's nothing like it! It is however a great take but a bit heavy/involved/wordy for my just-turned-five year old. There are a couple of stories like this in the book but there are also slightly shorter simpler ones.

It's a book that will grow with her and for that, it's a really nice, quality read that's been added to her bookshelf.
on 28 December 2014
All the classic tales for future bedtime reads with my 3 year old daughter, with my 8 year old son enjoying too . Illustrations are a delight and frequent enough to keep all imaginations inspired with these classic tales
on 2 March 2014
This is a beautiful, forever book. I bought it for us in school with Year 3 children but I have since using it added it to my 8 year olds book collection. It is so well presented and illustrated.