Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 May 2010
I bought this for my 9 yr old son who is doing WW2 as his current topic at school. It has proved very useful for him to check facts, and he has also found it really easy to read, as it is laid out in such a way that makes you want to continue reading, and therefore learning. It is not too wordy, which can be off putting. Great book at a great price.
on 5 May 2013
I don't normally write reviews, but as I bought this book for my 7 year old son, having been impressed by many other books in the series, this one really annoys me in both what it's missing that to me is a vital part, even attraction, of WW2, as well as factual inaccuracies. Firstly, how can you have a book about the Second World War that fails to mention the Battle Of Britain, and thereby the Spitfires and Hurricanes and their brave pilots that fought so gallantly? Secondly, though there is good mention of the Blitz in 1940, there are pictures of German bombers over London obviously with jet engines, and as far as I remember from my own interest in all things both WW2 and plane-shaped from an early age, jets didn't appear in the war till much later on, e.g. the German Messerschmitt Me 262, which was a fighter plane, appearing in 1944, and the British Gloster Meteor. I can only assume this is an American publication, as there seems to be a heavy bias to American involvement in the war, for example, given the illustrations not of an English Lancaster bomber, but rather the American B29 Superfortress, and not Spitfires as previously mentioned, but P51 Mustangs. I'm sorry, but for a book about the whole of WW2, perhaps its authors could check their facts and give more credit where credit is very much due, since their country didn't enter the war till 1941 after the attack on Pearl Harbour. Now I keep having to look out for these annoyances and fill in the gaps in the story of WW2 to my eager reader.
on 16 September 2014
I normally really like the Usborne book but this one although very nicely presented is of very poor content. A lot of omissions, ie France is nowhere mentioned, the occupation, resistance and so on...famous decisive battles are left out, such a poor narrow minded way of presenting WWII.
on 14 March 2012
Really great book informative whilst having a fun element to it, with the lift up flaps.Bought as a present for my son who has worked really hard at school. He was thrilled with it.Arrived quickly and very good value for money.
on 12 August 2011
Purchased for a 5 year old nephew who is very interested in the war, especially Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancasters. He found the book very interesting and informative but I was disappointed to find a US bias. The book does not mention the British Aircraft or the Battle of Britain, instead it focusses on B29s and P51s.
on 24 June 2012
I am a school librarian and am so pleased with this book.Many of our children learn about the war in history and to have such a child-friendly book in the library is a boon.
on 13 November 2014
I bought this for my 9 year old brother (history enthusiast) who was learning about it in school. He brought it to school the next day and showed the teacher.
We found it to be very interactive and fun, but very much from an American standpoint- what about us Brits?
Other than this a good book to get young children engaged!
on 5 April 2014
I bought this for my 6 year old son who loves history. It's a very good quality, large, hardback book with lift up flaps which keeps him involved. Lots of information to a page which I thought might be too much for him but it's not. Very pleased with purchase.
on 18 December 2012
Another great book from the see inside series
So much useful information about the second world war which was easy for my son to understand. Lots of flaps to lift makes it fun too. Excellent quality and a lovely book to keep. I recommend as a gift
on 14 January 2013
My 6 year old loves this book! He's goes mad for anything army related & this book ticks many boxes! Full of interesting facts & snippets as well lift the flap fun - keeps him quiet for hours!!!