5.0 out of 5 stars Great for young war enthusiasts
I bought this for my 9 yr old son who is doing WW2 as his current topic at school. It has proved very useful for him to check facts, and he has also found it really easy to read, as it is laid out in such a way that makes you want to continue reading, and therefore learning. It is not too wordy, which can be off putting. Great book at a great price.
Published on 9 May 2010 by Ms. L. Gregory

2.0 out of 5 stars German Jet Bombers In 1940 & Wot No Spitfires?! :-(
Published 16 months ago by A. J. Funnell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for young war enthusiasts, 9 May 2010
Ms. L. Gregory (UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars German Jet Bombers In 1940 & Wot No Spitfires?! :-(, 5 May 2013
A. J. Funnell "fallingman" (Chelmsford, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Second World War (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside) (Hardcover)
I don't normally write reviews, but as I bought this book for my 7 year old son, having been impressed by many other books in the series, this one really annoys me in both what it's missing that to me is a vital part, even attraction, of WW2, as well as factual inaccuracies. Firstly, how can you have a book about the Second World War that fails to mention the Battle Of Britain, and thereby the Spitfires and Hurricanes and their brave pilots that fought so gallantly? Secondly, though there is good mention of the Blitz in 1940, there are pictures of German bombers over London obviously with jet engines, and as far as I remember from my own interest in all things both WW2 and plane-shaped from an early age, jets didn't appear in the war till much later on, e.g. the German Messerschmitt Me 262, which was a fighter plane, appearing in 1944, and the British Gloster Meteor. I can only assume this is an American publication, as there seems to be a heavy bias to American involvement in the war, for example, given the illustrations not of an English Lancaster bomber, but rather the American B29 Superfortress, and not Spitfires as previously mentioned, but P51 Mustangs. I'm sorry, but for a book about the whole of WW2, perhaps its authors could check their facts and give more credit where credit is very much due, since their country didn't enter the war till 1941 after the attack on Pearl Harbour. Now I keep having to look out for these annoyances and fill in the gaps in the story of WW2 to my eager reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars one happy chappy, 14 Mar 2012
Really great book informative whilst having a fun element to it, with the lift up flaps.Bought as a present for my son who has worked really hard at school. He was thrilled with it.Arrived quickly and very good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Second World War, young readers., 24 Jun 2012
Mrs. B. Laxton "Bookworm" (Norfolk. England) - See all my reviews
I am a school librarian and am so pleased with this book.Many of our children learn about the war in history and to have such a child-friendly book in the library is a boon.

4.0 out of 5 stars See Inside the Second World War, 12 Aug 2011
Purchased for a 5 year old nephew who is very interested in the war, especially Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancasters. He found the book very interesting and informative but I was disappointed to find a US bias. The book does not mention the British Aircraft or the Battle of Britain, instead it focusses on B29s and P51s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit the bill, 25 May 2014
I bought for a friends child 9 year old who is currently doing WW2 at school and he seems to like the book. Usborne haven't let me down so far. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. Book, 5 April 2014
Ms. Anne Bargery "Anne" (South, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 6 year old son who loves history. It's a very good quality, large, hardback book with lift up flaps which keeps him involved. Lots of information to a page which I thought might be too much for him but it's not. Very pleased with purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, informative book, 2 Mar 2014
I bought this for my son to support his school topic for WW2. Very informative (as Usborne books always are) and the lift-the-flap style is an appealing way to access the information.

5.0 out of 5 stars History, 31 Jan 2014
My war history mad grandson loves it and is learning a great deal from it and is learning a great deal
Anne

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 27 Dec 2013
My seven year old son is over the moon with this book and is enjoying quoting all sorts of facts too is. Great Christmas present.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Second World War (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside)
Second World War (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside) by Rob Lloyd Jones (Hardcover - 1 Jun 2011)