5.0 out of 5 stars Achingly good writing, 27 Oct 2013
Someone used the word 'dazzling' to describe Geraldine McCaughrean's writing - and it is indeed thus. A girl named Comity - named so by parents who believe in the 'comity of nations' though they live in a telegraph outpost far away from civilization in the Australian outback, alongside racist farmhands. When her mother dies and her father retreats in grief, Comity is left to fend for herself with only Fred, the aborigine boy as an ally. But how can Fred help when he becomes the target of increasingly brutal behaviour by the other characters on the station? Things get worse and worse for Comity and it's hard to guess how she could possibly disentangle her sorry story. The writing is achingly good, the situations sometimes laugh out loud hilarious and other times so distressing you find yourself gasping because it turns out you've been holding your breath without knowing it. How does Geraldine McCaughrean do it? Who cares ... I'm off to read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful writing, 8 Nov 2013
A. Reader (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Middle of Nowhere (Hardcover)
Made me cry, tender, moving and wonderful. A lovely novel for young readers who like adventure and some real emotion. Sad reminder of Australia's grisly past.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 22 Feb 2014
Really enjoyed this book. Lovely links to aboriginal culture. Will read to my year 6 class as part of our topic

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 5 April 2014
The author brings you entirely into Comity's world living in the Austarlian outback. Such a refreshingly different book from my previous ones. I will be reading this one with my children when they are a little older.

5.0 out of 5 stars The middle of nowhere, 5 Nov 2013
Sad. Heart-breaking. 2 of the things that make an awesome book. I absolutely loved this tale . Geraldine McCaughrean is a beautiful author with an absolute skill of doing amazing pieces of writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful Childrens book, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Middle of Nowhere (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my 10yr old Granddaughter. After reading it at school she asked if I would buy it for her.
This is the first book she has ever asked for.

5.0 out of 5 stars I could have read it in one sitting but wanted it to last and so enjoyed being able to pick it up in quiet moments ..., 25 Oct 2014
Mrs. L. Y. Higgins "True Life stories" (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book had me gripped throughout as I wasn't just reading about the Australian outback, I was living in it too, through Matilda and Jenny and their lives. I could have read it in one sitting but wanted it to last and so enjoyed being able to pick it up in quiet moments and be transported back in time. An excellent author and I definitely be reading more of these books..

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, looking forward to reading it to my ..., 30 Nov 2014
K. Maw "constantreader" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Middle of Nowhere (Paperback)
Great read, looking forward to reading it to my grand kids one day. Highly recommend for an easy read with a great storyline

5.0 out of 5 stars Geraldine's done it again !, 26 Oct 2013
Wonderful WONDERFUL colourful writing , so enjoyable to read i cannot wait for the next chapter i'll have to BUY it !
And i've only read the beginning on Amazon.com As usual Geraldine's work has managed to give us the taste of a real gutsy Aussie down under pie about it which shovels heat & eats up every fly bit of delightful dust ! If this is for children then i must read more - for they have simply the BEST AUTHOR of all time !

The Middle of Nowhere
The Middle of Nowhere by Geraldine McCaughrean (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2013)