5.0 out of 5 stars Doodle-tastic
Published on 29 April 2010 by Jennifer Clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars ... teenage girl who hasn't touched it so I was disappointed.
This was bought for an artistic 13 year old teenage girl who hasn't touched it so I was disappointed.
Published 5 months ago by Caromac

5.0 out of 5 stars Doodle-tastic, 29 April 2010
This review is from: Drawing, Doodling and Colouring Book (Art Ideas) (Usborne Drawing, Doodling and Colouring) (Paperback)
What a great book! This would be ideal for anyone not just kids. It is a lovely large book, slightly taller and an inch wider than A4, made with good quality paper. The pens and pencils I have been using haven't shown through to the other side of the page at all which is always a concern with colouring books. I bought this for myself (I'm early thirty's) as a creative exercise and I love it. The pages are mainly done as double page spreads but there are a few single page ones too.

Some of the pages include:
* a double page of skin-shade blobs with instructions to turn them all into faces
* continuing the doodles of robots, houses or cars
* just 'plain' colouring
* doodling on squared pages
* drawing in the faces under a selection of hats
* drawing more monsters without taking your pen off the page.

Well done Usbourne, another hit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doodling and Colouring, 3 July 2010
I bought this book for myself. Even as an adult I find doodling and colouring in therapeutic after a days work. My daughter (9 years) also loves the book. The illustrations are clear and defined unlike some other books in this category which can look scrappy and hurriedly drawn. The ideas are inspiring. All in all a very well thought out book for varied ages. I also thought elements could be used as inspiration for embroidery or scrapbooking etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Aug. 2010
Mrs. K. J. Hawk "Kali" (Wirral) - See all my reviews
I usually buy these things, ostensibly for the kids I teach but, they're not getting this, I'm having it.
I love this, it starts things off for you and you get to finish them.
It's BIG, but not too big, allows you to put as much or as little into it as possible.
Stupidly low price for what you get, having bought lots of other colouring books and pretty much putting them aside after a couple of hours.
Definitely worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book for children and adults alike!, 20 Jan. 2011
I bought this book for myself as sometimes I just want to draw without too much thought! It's absolutely brilliant - I love the pictures which are inspiring but not too childish so you can make as detailed as you like. It's also a lovely size - oversized A4, which makes it feel even nicer! You do have to be careful what pen you use as the heavier and deeper colours or brush pens do show through a little bit but most felt tips work fine. An absolute must if you want to be creative but without thinking too much! I love it and tempted to buy another spare!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids... and adults!, 13 Mar. 2011
I've bought this book for my nephew, but when I took a look at it, I started to feel I would love to draw, doodle and colour too. I completely agree with the reviewers that want or already have a copy for themselves. If you're in doubt, don't be. Buy it, you will love this piece of art.

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, but a warning, 31 Aug. 2010
My boys 12 and 9 love it so much, and I need! a copy for myself!
The ideas and images are brilliant, humourous and compelling.
Just a word of warning though, don't use felt tip pens with brush type nibs as they let out too much ink and it does go through.
Looking forward to the other new usborne doodling and colouring books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Colouring In Book - a Sensible Way to take your Mind off Things..., 16 Oct. 2014
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I do a high pressure and constantly stressful job, working as a solicitor involved in Court proceedings. In October 2013, I ended up being taken by ambulance to the John Radcliffe Hospital, suffering from diabetes ketoacidosis, which could have put me into a coma, or caused organ failure, or even worse. I was aged 45 at the time and I had no prior inkling that I had diabetes. I spent a lot of time in two hospitals, and more than one of my treating consultants told me that long-term, high levels of stress could well have been a major contributory factor in my illness. I now inject myself with insulin daily.
So, I've since looked at ways to combat stress. I've started filling in adult colouring books, frequently with my 12 year old daughter. I get completely absorbed in the artwork, and it certainly takes my mind off the travails of work.
This Usborne colouring book is lovely. It's a little bit over A4 in size, and the paper is thick enough so that coloured inks don't seep through to the other side. There's a very wide variety of art exercises to do, not just colouring. There are starter doodles of robots, houses and cars which you can complete. There are pictures of monsters to finish. As you'd expect, there are also diagrams which you simply need to colour in. I tend to use coloured pencils rather than coloured ink pens, simply because I'm left-handed, and I tend to smudge the ink as I colour. Some of the drawings are quite elaborate, which makes them fairly challenging, but still fun to do.
I own a holiday home in Galicia, Northern Spain. The weather, just like our weather here, is very changeable. It rains a lot, and when it does, my 12 year old daughter and I frequently resort to one of these colouring books to while away the hours. It's a really nice pastime to do with a child, and it makes a change from just getting out another 500 piece puzzle!
So, my experience of several days in hospital last year, left me strongly focussed on how to reduce stress. I didn't want to use medications, because I didn't want to be walking around like a zombie. I certainly didn't want to use alcohol, and in any event, alcohol clashes badly with some of my diabetes medications. I hadn't done any art at all since my final year at comprehensive school, 30 years ago, even though I loved art and passed with a decent "O" level.
A close friend suggested that I try art, because her daughter has a fairly stressful job, and had started to complete these drawings to help alleviate stress. I took that advice and I'm happy that I did.
Of course, another well-known stress reliever is a furry pet, a cat or a dog. I've been looking at both, West Highland White Terriers and Maine Coon cats, and a puppy or kitten might well find its way into my home soon, but for the time being, I'll carry on re-living my school years by completing these lovely art books.
If work is wearing you down - and you know things are bad when you start getting a nervous twitch in your eyes or keep waking up through the night - why not give this a go?
I've read somewhere that some Swedish medical research links high stress to high cortisol levels in the body, and which can then be a contributory factor in diabetes. Wish I'd known about that a couple of years ago...
Finally, if you enjoy doing the artwork in this book, I think that you'd probably also enjoy The Art Therapy Colouring Book - The Art Therapy Colouring Book.

4.0 out of 5 stars doodles, 17 Dec. 2010
judifoodi (northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
I sent this book back as I felt it was for younger children than I was buying for
I bought the girls doodle books and boys doodle books instead
Its difficult to tell if the book is appropriate for the age until you look at it
The concept is great and all of the books provide hours of drawing for children by providing part of a drawing and asking the children to add their own drawings
Great for wet days, holidays and journeys

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 27 Jun. 2014
Good book for learning doodling techniques, alot of the images are very similar and that is why 4* not 5* review. Good nevertheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 10 April 2014
Bought this for 8 year old at Christmas, and she loves it, and spends hours colouring. Her mum sometimes has a go too.