Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 March 2011
This is a really important topic and it is essential that our children understand the issues involved and how they can play their part. This book takes a comprehensive look at what happens to the horrifying amount of rubbish which is produced, but does so in an approachable and interesting way. From what happens when we throw rubbish away and how it is collected right through to how it is recycled, the amount of detail in the book is amazing. There is lots on each page, with much more hidden under the flaps. The double page spread (with flaps underneath too) on a Materials recovery Factory is fascinating - I learnt a lot! Peter Allen's illustrations repay very close observation to make sure you miss nothing - including the plentiful touches of humour. This book will be a great help for topic work. Don't miss the rubbish facts at the end!
on 24 June 2011
I bought this book for my five year old who is very curious and she loves it but not as much as my three year old! He has grown up in a world of recycling and just loves to know the detail that this book provides. I too have learnt a lot from this book and would recommend it to anyone
on 27 September 2011
I bought this for my 6 year-old son. It is a huge hit: lots of information about what happens to rubbish after we throw it out and the format with lots of flaps to lift means there is a whole load of information on each page without seeming too "wordy". It is easy to follow the flow of information. The book is good quality and I think the flaps are going to be durable. I was surprised to find myself enjoying reading it too!
on 17 March 2014
Bought as a 4th birthday present and was a great success. Lots of flaps, pictures of machines and super educational! Explains what happens to rubbish, from household waste to airplanes. Works on lots of age levels, the adults definitely learned a lot too. I liked that it provided a link between what we do as individuals and the world around us, not just the environment but also all the jobs and processes that happen as a result of us recycling a yogurt pot. It will last a good few years as it is a nice sturdy book which remains engaging after multiple readings. We have a few 'see inside' books and I would say this one which is suitable for younger readers (age 3 up perhaps). Also a good one for those with a love of machines. Goes into lots of detail, how the various materials are sorted and recycled, landfills, water: sewers, purification, compost, rubbish collection and so on. Recommended!
on 1 March 2013
I borrowed this for the local library for my nearly 4 year-old son, as he has always loved watching the dustbin men and enjoys visits to the dump! We knew after the first read that it would have to be a 'keeper' - the facts and figures are so interesting, the flaps are sturdy and relevant, and I have learned a lot! The detail in the illustration is amazing, he always finds something new, and tells me stories about how different bits of rubbish get recycled. We will be reading this one for years.
on 29 January 2015
My 4 year old loves this book ( along with other books in this series ). This book has a lot of information , it is perhaps too much for a 4 year old but as I am reading it to him I keep it simple and shorter. It starts at how rubbish is generated and takes you through the journey of waste collection and recycling. There is so much to talk about and to look at, this book will be a favourite for a long time.
on 10 April 2014
Great book a must get book that's both educational and fun to read, we always hear them comment " well I did not know that?"
Buy it today will make any child's birthday present! check the age range first. Well illustrated with top quality detail that will keep your child happy for hours again and again!
on 4 February 2012
Fantastic visuals, informative text, lots of learning potential throughout the book. Wednesday mornings when the recycling lorry comes have been great talking points with all this new vocabulary. Any child who is a fan of Where's Wally will love the detail in this book. Highly recommended.
on 24 April 2016
Great book, perfect for my 3 year who loves rubbish trucks and most things mechanical. This book holds his attention for a good 15/20 mins. Unlike a lot of lift flap books this series are really hard wearing. Hopefully when he learns to read he will enjoy it again.
on 2 January 2014
Excellent images/content that really gauge his attention. Perfect for children who are fascinated by how things work. "mummy we need to recycle everything, i don't want rubbish on our planet" were his last comments when reading the book!