on 30 August 2012
Anyone who played Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure is immediately immersed in a world full of colour, hilarious dialogue and amazing gameplay. And surprisingly the novel is just as good! The Machine of Doom installation of the franchise contains Spyro the Purple Dragon, Eruptor the Flame Belcher, Boomer the Dynamite Troll and Gill Grunt the Gillman. Not to mention Flynn the Balloonist makes a return and so does Master Eon in an adventure where the Skylanders must stop Kaos from using an ancient and mysterious weapon (expect to see those words together a lot) by the Arkeyans!

However there are flaws to this:

1) The novel is extremely short. You might be able to knock out one chapter a night when reading it to your children, as each chapter ends with a great cliffhanger! If you're an adult you can probably finish this in under an hour. I'm a slow 19-year old reader, so it took me just over an hour.

2) Some of the vocabulary is based more towards adults. Not many children will know words like malevolant, immersive, stupendous and so fourth. Expect to hear your child ask "what's this word say?"

3) It's only really for those familiar with the Skylanders world, as references made to the game expect you to know what they are. Unless you've played the game to the end, you won't know what or who the Arkeyans were, and I don't want to spoil it for you.

I recommend it for the Recommended Retail Price of £4.99, and to get it cheaper would be fine and dandy! Get it while it's still selling, 'cause it's a great read for children and adults alike!
on 1 December 2014
Another great Skylanders story for bed time. You know a story is good when the kids ask for another chapter before bedtime. The Skylanders featured in this book are Spyro, Eruptor, Gill Grunt, and Boomer. Flynn and Hugo are also in the book more as comic relief and to be saved.

A couple of things of things that another reviewer did not like about this book I think are some of its strengths:

The vocabulary is for older children to young adults. If they are reading it for themselves. I like the fact that my kids ask the words that they do not know.

The chapter length is about 10 pages, but there are illustrations thrown in between these as well. So a decent sized chunk of the story in each chapter.

The book can be finished in about a weeks which I think is the perfect size for kids well my kids anyway. I have now doubt my 7 year would have finished it in a day if left him to it and he could be dragged away from Playstation long enough.

The story is your usual Skylander adventure. Kaos scheming this time trying to get his hands on the Machine of Doom. Can the Skylanders follow the clues and stop him before he gets his grubby little hands on it.
on 21 July 2012
First off I know some people say that the book is quite short. It isn't big, yet I think anymore and it would have dragged the story out. The story gave my kids the same humour and laughs that they get from the game with the same characters too. The only issue they had was that there wasn't much of some of their favourite Characters including Trigger Happy. You get a little insight into the lives of the Skylanders and their characteristics made the kids chuckle. The plot from the kids point of view was great and there were nights where they begged me to read more.

The pictures in the kindle version were lovely, big page size pictures with some funny 'scene' moments with their favourite characters.

The ending of the book has made me think there are definitely more stories in the pipeline. I will definitely be reading them in the future.
on 13 October 2013
This is a very amusing and unlikely story. I read it aloud to my 8 year old grandson (who is familiar with the Skylanders characters) who listened with rapt attention telling me to "carry on" whenever I stopped. In many places he laughed out loud, and indeed it is written very amusingly, intelligently and wittily. The surreal and unlikely plot It is very reminiscent (to those of us old enough to remember) of the madcap Goon Show stories. Kaos has similarities to Moriarty, and some of the expressions and phrases used are straight out of the mouths of dear Neddy Seagoon and friends.

When you read aloud to someone, you're eyes have a chance to scan ahead, useful as there are some rather violent descriptions from time to time that are not needed, which I thought spoil the whimsical nature the story, and which I therefore automatically edited out. It is for this reason that I dropped a star.
on 4 October 2012
This is one of a number of books published to tie in with the popular video game. Fans of the game will already be well acquainted with the characters and will no doubt love this adventure where the Skylanders have to save the universe from Kaos and his evil hordes. However I think this can also be read and enjoyed by readers who have not played the game (are there any?!) as the story is exciting and, in places, very funny. There are lots of illustrations to help the story along, so this is a quick, fun read for younger readers who may find longer books a bit daunting.
on 10 May 2013
an excellent book for the reluctant reader, with subject material of interest to young readers fascinated by skylanders. I would recommend this book for young readers who are looking for a book that will interest them.
on 17 November 2012
This book is amazing! The book is a perfect size and it is not boring. I would say this book is for 8 and over.

It tells you facts about the characters so if you play Skylanders, you will already know what the characters do. Therefore you get a slight advantage.

The book is so good, I didn't want to put it down! The book had nicely drawn illustrations and it took me 2-4 hours to finish the book. I would recommend this book.

Review by 10 year old boy.
on 10 December 2012
I bought this for my sons 6th birthday, he's a huge Skylanders fan. I really enjoyed reading it to him at bedtimes and he was totally engrossed in the story. It's action packed, humourous and has a gripping cliff hanger at the end of each chapter. The chapters are short, i read this to him over three nights, but I didnt wish it was more padded out, it's a perfect story just as it is. We're both now hoping more of these story books are being made.
5 stars - a big success!
on 20 January 2013
not a bad story but probably misses its target audience. should have made it a bit simpler for the 6-7 year old generation. the pictures were an added bonus though.
on 6 January 2013
I have never written a review before, but I love this book and for all parents of boys who hate reading, this is a must. My 9 year old son normally shies away from reading whenever possible but he thinks this book is hilarious, and has even picked it up once on his own to read to himself - a miracle. We mostly sit together so he can read a bit to me each day, as it does have some challenging words. However, contrary to a previous review of this being a negative, this is what I love about it, not only is he keen to read the story but because he wants to read it he is happy to work out the new words and we can discuss their meaning and, at last, increase his vocabulary from the normal safe books he knows and usually has to read at school. I will definitely be getting the rest of the series as they come out.