on 26 April 2013
This really does seem an ideal book for someone taking a short ish break in Barcelona. Reasonably priced and fits in a large pocket, it is fairly easily readable compared to some of the compact guides. The map was very useful and we saw all the main sights we wanted to by reference to this book. A couple of tips - buy the latest version only - this was and one or two things had already changed (the name of a cafe we were looking for for example). The other one - if you want to see the Sagrada Familia (Gaudi's church still being built) you can save a lot of time by booking a slot online before you get there - not mentioned in this book. The queues were around the block for most of the days. Well worth the money if you are heading there and don't know the city.
I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format - each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

This book covers, for example:
 Sagrada Familia
 Top 10 Walks & Bike Rides
 Top 10 City Views
 Top 10 Attractions for Children
(This is some, not all)

The book in its physical format is small - just small enough to fit inside a DL envelope (i.e. the standard white envelope, designed to accept a sheet of A4 paper folded twice). It is actually a few centimetres shorter than a DL envelope. This compact size makes it easy to fit into your pocket.

This book can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me - a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I originally bought my Top 10 books in the Kindle format (because I am a Kindle lover) and to my surprise found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book. In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone (neither of which I had when I bought this) but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly. Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

The beauty of these books is that they give you an overview, which means that you end up doing things that you would not have done otherwise.
on 8 March 2013
Excellent pocket guide, not too bulky or heavy so it will be easy to put in a handbag while we are visiting the city
on 28 December 2013
This style of guide is easy to read, give great ideas for where to go and what to see. It is in a well laid out format, which I think is better than other guides. It's a handy size and easily fits into my handbag. Would always look for this brand first when going to a new place.
on 13 February 2014
We only had four days to explore all that Barcelona had to offer so this book came in really handy to narrow down the top 'must sees'. I love DK Eyewitness books for their relevant information and loads of photos, and the sturdy map that was included was really useful. Would definitely recommend
on 17 November 2013
Not everyone will agree on the author's choice of the top 10 attractions in Barcelona, but this is a useful little guide just the same. Unfortunately, as with their similar guide to Eastern Sicily which I purchased earlier in the year, DK have done absolutely nothing to make the map of Barcelona - which could be really useful - of sufficient sharpness to be readable, let alone capable of being enlarged or searched. There is nothing in the technology to prevent this, so in my opinion this is just laziness, especially when you consider that DK's printed books have exceptionally good graphics. Buy it for a short trip to Barcelona, but then by a one-Euro map from the an official tourist kiosk. And consider other sources of info about Barcelona.
on 18 February 2014
These guides are perfect for carrying around in a small bag... unlike the bigger guides that stay in the hotel room... the maps are small, but have enough detail to find you way around.
on 14 April 2013
If I am visiting a city I usually buy the DK Top 10 guide. This one lives up to the high expectations I have of them. The guides are excellently presented and produced on quality glossy paper in a convenient, pocket-sized format. Superb photos backed up by the key information needed to plan and to make the most of a stay of a few days in a city.
I waited for the recent 2013 re-issue of the Barcelona Guide. I did notice that price information was not up to date - for example the entry fee to Palau de Musica Catalana was €15 in the guide but is now €17. However, the guide more than warrants it's 5 stars.
on 20 February 2014
Well structured book, clear maps and recommendations for a first or even second visit
Handy size
Will look for other city guides by the same publisher in future
on 24 February 2014
This book was so popular that I had trouble borrowing it back from family members. At least they knew where we were going. I just followed.